Serious Overtime

Forums Forums TV Newsroom Serious Overtime

This topic contains 20 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  Forum Member 12 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author

leefrancis
    Participant
    #22214 Reply

leefrancis
    Participant

The presenters who are covering the Asian Earthquake Tsunami are starting to look a little knackered! poor Kay especially! so used to presenting in the daytime! It appears that working nights are starting to have an effect on her bless.

Does anyone know how long they plan to keep the presenters out there?

#22215 Reply

Skybaby
    Participant

I’m quite interested in whether or not Julie is remaining in Thailand, since she’s due to present Five’s first full length Sky produced news programme tomorrow evening.

On the subject of Kay and Five, did anyone catch her on “40 most shocking moments of 2004”? No, she wasn’t one of them, she was talking about Boris Johnson’s affair.

#22216 Reply

Johnnie
    Keymaster

Kirsty Young is presenting the first full length bulletin tomorrow.

#22217 Reply

NEWSBOY2
    Participant

They’ll probably start to rotate who’s anchoring, Chris Roberts has gone out so maybe someone else will come back. I’m not surprised its starting to have an effect on her, she’s amongst the devastation and gruesome smell of rotting corpses.

#22218 Reply

sammy
    Participant

what happened to the lovely kay on the 100 shocking moments then ?

#22219 Reply

syntrak
    Participant

Nows your chance to meet her – fly to Sri Lanka, bus to Gaulle and look for the little red head…looks like shes single these days so get her on the rebound !!!

#22220 Reply

Steven
    Participant

Very inappropriate syntrak.

Anyhow, this must one of the moments that journalists live for. To be there at the centre of it, to be able to report back to an information hungry audiences miles and miles away must be very enthralling. I’m sure that there are many news presenters that would give their left arm to have this assisgnment. Surely the adrenalin alone must keep them going.

#22221 Reply

NEWSBOY2
    Participant

Martin’s on now at 10pm, he’s looking very, very tired.

#22222 Reply

leefrancis
    Participant

See I told you! 4am I bet it feels like

#22223 Reply

leefrancis
    Participant

HECK!!! They are pushing the boat out now with Michael Wilson And Viv! What A Pair…

Saying that David Foster is a presenter and also fits into Business! maybe they have the same idea for Michael? They must be short staffed?

#22224 Reply

Forum Member
    Participant

And just imagine how the locals feel!

Is this a kind of presenter fan club you have here? :ph34r:

#22225 Reply

NEWSBOY2
    Participant

And what’s is wrong with Michael and Viv?

#22226 Reply

Johnnie
    Keymaster

leefrancis+Jan 3 2005, 10:50 PM–>(leefrancis @ Jan 3 2005, 10:50 PM)
    David Foster is a presenter and also fits into Business! maybe they have the same idea for Michael? They must be short staffed?

Or Michael wants some work, there’s been no business updates recently.

#22227 Reply

leefrancis
    Participant

ZED>>

Nothing wrong with them! Just that I have never seen Michael Wilson present the news, whereas David Foster presents business and the News!

#22228 Reply

hamishnewhouse
    Participant

I am very impressed with Sky News’s coverage of theis awfull event. For a number of reasons

– Getting key anchor men/women out to the scene before any other British News Corporation

– The Ticker

– First with camcorder footage

– First with interviews with victims

– The sencitivity they have shown during these awfull events

– The ablility to donate using Sky Active

Sky are to be commended for management of the reporting of the events….well done!

#22229 Reply

Mr Byrne
    Participant

I couldn’t say it better myself Hamishnewhouse.

#22230 Reply

backload
    Participant

– Getting key anchor men/women out to the scene before any other British News Corporation

Could not disagree more. It is completely over the top with no redeeming merit at all. It is a voyueristic exercise in trivialising the suffering of others.

– The Ticker

Seems odd on a news channel but if it works on a dating channel why not on SKY News? Press the red active button if the name of a victim appeals to you.

– First with camcorder footage

Excellent but ITN had a reporter on the beach.

– First with interviews with victims

This is pure voyuerism and goes beyond trivialising the suffering of others in to tramping on their dignity and exploitation of their position. Sky didn’t do this in Boscastle.

– The sencitivity they have shown during these awfull events

I missed this – but then I rarely watch SKY news during the day. Seemed to be exactly the same form of sensitivity as shown by the Marine Corps in Falujah…

– The ablility to donate using Sky Active

That is SERIOUSLY good. The only redeeming feature in the whole sorry tale.

I think that SKY should have sent aid rather than their Anchors to the area. The management could have left the Talent at home and focussed on helping the local people rather than flying around in local Army Helicopters taking two spaces where food and water could be stowed rether than dropping and asking after kids in what was a village and appears to be currently a mudflat.

#22231 Reply

Sky Lad
    Participant

Could not disagree more. It is completely over the top with no redeeming merit at all. It is a voyueristic exercise in trivialising the suffering of others.

I don’t think that skys coverage is voyueristic in any way. Without the reporters being out there people wouldn’t see the pictures on their tv screens and could be less likely to donate.

I have yet to see anything voyueristic and I doubt I will.

Sky didn’t do this in Boscastle.

I don’t think this can compare to what happend in Boscastle. No disrespect to the residents of Boscastle or those who were caught up in the floods but what happend there is no where near as bad as what happend on Boxing Day. Sky did though send two presenters down to cover the story if I remember rightly.

IMO Sky are doing a great job and like I said in a previous thread I think the ticker is a good idea if it can help relatives of those in the devasted areas.

#22232 Reply

Sky Lad
    Participant

The management could have left the Talent at home and focussed on helping the local people rather than flying around in local Army Helicopters taking two spaces where food and water could be stowed rether than dropping and asking after kids in what was a village and appears to be currently a mudflat.

I share your opinion on the helicoptir situation but I’m sure if the Army didn’t want them there they wouldn’t be there. This is a disaster that as affected loads of people all over the world and naturally people are going to be interested.

If Sky didn’t cover this as well people would be complaining like some of us did(including me) on the way they covered the Boscastle Story when it broke.

The truth is News Crews are peoples eyes of whats going on. People would be less likely to give if all they did was hear reports and didn’t see the effect this has had on people. I know from talking to people that Sky’s coverage has made them donate money, this has to be a good thing surely?

#22233 Reply

Forum Member
    Participant

I have seen non sky news reports where the journalist’s boat was commandeered by the army and where reporters on an American Helicopter were required to make way for those survivors that needed to be taken for medical treatment.

The requirements of those reporting such events are relatively minimal other than a need for access and information. The benefits of some very minor inconvenience in providing that will be offset against the need for information to reach the outside world. Given the scenes we witness on the TV it would at first seem to some that there is a prurient, self serving interest in reporters being there. Remove the frame, step into the scene and the world is a significantly larger place, where a man with a microphone and a couple of technicians on one level at least is seen as proof that someone, anyonr, actually cares. The ideaolgical rationalisation of that is hardly about to bother a person without water, food, or even the most basic of shelters.!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
Reply To: Serious Overtime
Your information: