Sick Earthquake Ticker

Forums Forums TV Newsroom Sick Earthquake Ticker

This topic contains 25 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by  NEWSBOY2 12 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • Author

deano
    Participant
    #22111 Reply

deano
    Participant

Am I the only one appalled by the ticker which sky news have shoved at the bottom of the screen for ‘messages home’

This is meant to be a news channel. It feels pretty sick to have reporters talking about the dispair of 100 000 dead while a message saying Sharon from Southampton is ok

It has a definite feel of Murdoch populism mixed with a racism which say UK lives are more important than Indonesian, Sri Lankan, Thai and Indian lives

I wish they would tale it off

#22112 Reply

AJ
    Participant

I disagree with you there. As the only UK news channnel which can be seen in more than just the UK and IRL I think they are doing a good service for those who are missing relatives in the region.

Imagine the angst those who have not heard from their relatives must be feeling. Sky News are trying to help by opening a means of communication for those in the region to get a quick brief message home.

I know you could argue that a phonecall would be a way of communicating – but we don’t know exactly how severe the communication problems are in the area.

If I had relatives in the area, I would be greatful to Sky News if a message from them popped up on screen – wouldn’t you?

It also makes a nice change from the dicky non-ticking ticker doesn’t it.

#22113 Reply

tippguy
    Participant

i also disagree with you. if you had family or friends there on holidays there and had no way of contacting them. all the phone lines are probally down you’d be dam glad of a ticker at the bottom of your screen if you knew it might bring you some good news especially since ye seem too be having some trouble getting through to the phone number in England. so for once stop thinking of yourself and think of the people effected. poor old deno he is missing out on his precious sky news e-mail address and website address oh and i almost forgot the active button. my god you should write a letter of complaint. in all fearness what effect is it having on you!!

#22114 Reply

GJ05
    Participant

i again disagree with you there, the other two says it all

#22115 Reply

deano
    Participant

Oh dear — point missed big style

Yes Sky news as they love to point out is received in 80 countries worldwide, yet the only messages are from Brits who are ok

WHAT ABOUT THE 100 000 ASIAN PEOPLE WHO ARE NOT OK ???

The few Brits rich enough to go to these places are not the story — it is local people who are the story

Yes I would be grateful for any communication channel which opened up if I had someone who was on holiday – but I don’t and it is not the role of news channels to provide that service

They should stick to providing news about the people on the ground — not the ethnocentric plucky Brits crap which we are getting just now

PS of course I don’t like the static ticker – or the red button

#22116 Reply

NEWSBOY2
    Participant

Oh jeez Deano please! The ticker only runs in the UK, and like that newspaper reviewer said yesterday, people have been viewing the ticker and recieved assurance, whilst not being able to contact loved ones in any other way. So its completely justified, and I don’t understand why you are making a deal about it? Sky’s doing the service because the Foreign Office was swamped and overwealmed.

And to suggest that Sky have overlooked the residents of those countries involved its just rubbish, have you been watching the same channel?

#22117 Reply

Sky Lad
    Participant

I think sky’s coverage has been excellent and I think most of us could pick at things that weren’t to our liking. I think the ticker is a great idea. It’s not as if it effects anyones viewing of the news because it’s always there and you don’t have to read it.

I don’t think any of us who don’t have relatives out there could imagine what it must be like to see on the ticker that a relative is safe and well.

#22118 Reply

Mr Byrne
    Participant

It has a definite feel of Murdoch populism mixed with a racism which say UK lives are more important than Indonesian, Sri Lankan, Thai and Indian lives

— ask yourself the question: who is watching Sky News?

#22119 Reply

airlink1
    Participant

Can’t agree with you – think it’s a great help for those unfortunate to be caught up in this disaster.

#22120 Reply

tippguy
    Participant

excellent point mr byrne. deano sky are just trying to do the very best that they can by setting this up. i’m sure if the families of the aisans watched sky news they would be putting up their messages aswell however they really dont have time to be watching tv when thousands of people are dieing in front of their eyes so sky news well done and deano if it upsets you that much then watch itv or put a piece of masking tape on the ticker and shut up! i’d bet if your mother/father/brother or sister were on holidays there you’d be damb glad of the ‘sick earthquake ticker’ on sky news

#22121 Reply

eagleeye
    Participant

I have one point only to make in beleaguered Deano’s defence: if these people are emailing or phoning Sky News to say please put it on your ticker to tell my Mum I am Ok…why can’t they email or phone their Mum directly?!
    If, on the other hand, they are all people who are running into JT etc and he’s passing on the message to the ticker tape typers, then ok.

They do it so you watch Sky, not the BBC (the BBC have had their lines open for relatives too) so it’s part of the media network war.

So only if it does help people locate each other, who otherwise couldn’t, is it ok with me.

#22122 Reply

calciofan
    Participant

The British Deputy Prime Minister John Prescott and the Irish Prime Minister Bertie Ahern have both actually praised the ticker yesterday!

I think it was a great idea.

#22123 Reply

tippguy
    Participant

ya but not everyone is phoning some are e-mailing and their families probally dont have e-mail address’s if they are old!!

#22124 Reply

rob237
    Participant

Highlighted email addresses always open to abuse in the ‘sick’ society.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4140375.stm

#22125 Reply

tippguy
    Participant

thats just sick! how could anyone even think about abusing such a worthy cause

#22126 Reply

jonnyboy
    Participant

I think the person who first came up with that use for the ticker deserves a pat on the back. I have tuned into Sky News every day since Sunday 26 December 2004, for information on this terrible natural disaster and have found the information valueble.

I would like you to name one other news channel available on Sky Digital that has used their ticker for the same reason that Sky News is using their’s for at the moment, I certainatly havn’t seen one (please correct me if you have).

I think that the ticker is a very good idea, and may will and probably already has provided families with the answer that a member of their family or another relative is safe.

I think we also have to feel sorry for the families affected by those terrible bogus emails sent out to email addresses of those people who posted messages on the Sky News website which was yet another great idea from the team at Sky News. I just learnt today that people with mobile phones can text their messages to Sky News, who will add their message to their news ticker and website.

Three very, very good ideas but its a shame that at least one person always abuse the services that are available.

#22127 Reply

Steven
    Participant

The suggestion that the ticker is racist, or that the people at Sky are so, is absolutely absurd. Sky caters for the British (and Irish) audience – they are the subscribers and they are who the ad buyers are aiming at. It just happens that other countries also pick up Sky.
    My view on the ticker remains almost exactly the same as when it is used in ‘normal’ mode. It neither interests or has any use for me nor does it irritate or bother me. However, in this situation it is obviously of help to some people and therefore justifies its existance.

#22128 Reply

Forum Member
    Participant

deano+Dec 29 2004, 07:47 PM–>(deano @ Dec 29 2004, 07:47 PM)
    Am I the only one appalled by the ticker which sky news have shoved at the bottom of the screen for ‘messages home’

This is meant to be a news channel. It feels pretty sick to have reporters talking about the dispair of 100 000 dead while a message saying Sharon from Southampton is ok

I wish they would tale it off

Deano. I see your ideological agenda what I do not see is logic, or understanding of a very human situation. We are not automatons marching forward beneath a banner of utter altruism in the face of disaster, we are what we are. Whatever our overall feelings towards all the victims we are not unnaturally concerned to hear news of our own, as you would expect here in the UK. Your concern for each and every victim is noted, and I hope that in your bid to visit them all and offer your profound sorrow that you are successful! In the meantimne you may wish to ponder the reaction here and the result that funds are flooding in without concern for the ultimate beneficiarys whether they be European, Asian or Martian. That is what you need to look at instead of picking over the detail for flaws with an oversensitive political correctness. :ph34r:

#22129 Reply

deano
    Participant

It seems I am in a minority of almost one , but I do think most of the responses have missed the point I was getting at

1) Sky News is an international channel ‘broadcast in 80 counties’ was an advertising strapline on the hour for a while. Therefore the less brit centric approach would have been more appropriate. I think it is wrong to say Sky News is a Uk Eire channel.

2) Was the ticker any use to those with lost friends and family. I think not. As someone said If I could email sky I could email home, and if I could ring sky I could ring home. In fact I think it was about sky trying to look innovative and impressing those who were not personnally involved

3) They kept it going for a week with the same names going round and round – long after people families would have known they were safe

4) It is part of this terrible idea that news coverage is better with tickers and logos all over it . In general this is what spoils all the 24h news channels

5) I still feel it gave the impression that British lives are more important than the tens of thousands of local people killed

#22130 Reply

Newsroom
    Participant

But alot of people would not have had access to telephone lines and if they did have access to email, it could be likely that their family at home did not have access to email.

#22131 Reply

NEWSBOY2
    Participant

Yeah but the ticker is only seen by UK viewers, and Sky maybe shown internationally, but its still primarily a British broadcaster. Just as much Fox News is primarily for Americans but can be viewed in other countries.

#22132 Reply

AnjaliWOW
    Participant

NEWSBOY2+Jan 9 2005, 04:58 PM–>(NEWSBOY2 @ Jan 9 2005, 04:58 PM)
    Yeah but the ticker is only seen by UK viewers

I can see the ticker and I’m in Ireland which is NOT UK!

#22133 Reply

tippguy
    Participant

your some dumbass you know what he ment

#22134 Reply

AJ
    Participant

deano+Jan 9 2005, 02:31 PM–>(deano @ Jan 9 2005, 02:31 PM)
    3) They kept it going for a week with the same names going round and round – long after people families would have known they were safe

How do you know that would be the case. It could be that the messages were never seen by some people they were concerned with.

Not everybody watches Sky News 24/7/365 – and most of the time it is only watched for less than 20 minutes – therefore it is perfectly reasonable to assume that some people did not see a message that was intended for them.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
Reply To: Sick Earthquake Ticker
Your information: