Sky Coverage

Forums Forums TV Newsroom Sky Coverage

This topic contains 12 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  hamishnewhouse 12 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Seamus
    Participant
    #22521 Reply

Seamus
    Participant

I have read with interest the views of many on the coverage of Sky News in S-E Asia.

I find the reporting of this story to have been nothing but obscenely prurient. It has seemed to me that the overriding priority has been to extract the most harrowing testimony possible from the poor people who had to live through it, as if to suggest that the viewer is not capable of IMAGINING what it must have felt like to have lived through it. At one point, the irritating Kay Burley was interviewing local fishermen whose lives had clearly been devastated. They wanted to talk about the result of the tragedy on their lives, but she kept pressing them with the ”tell us about the moment the wave hit..’ question. Interestingly they replied that they did NOT want to talk about that, as it was too difficult. The reply was translated clearly, yet as soon as she turned to the camera she summed up the ‘harrowing testimony of the local people of the moment the wave hit’ that had been so clearly avoided by the interviewees!!! It confirmed for me that 24 News is about turning hard realities into quasi soap-operas, and the more gadgets and reporters in surgical-masks/gas-masks/helicopter ear-muffs the better.

When I saw a report open with the close-up of a dog on a beach chewing on human remains I decided I had seen enough, as did the rest of my household.

Sky deserves no awards at all, but a stern lecture on the preservation of human dignity!

#22522 Reply

Steven
    Participant

Seamus+Jan 11 2005, 01:00 PM–>(Seamus @ Jan 11 2005, 01:00 PM)
    When I saw a report open with the close-up of a dog on a beach chewing on human remains I decided I had seen enough, as did the rest of my household.

Yes I too felt uncomfortable at that report, and perhaps that took a little too far.

Seamus when you turn your television off those people are still suffering. Relatives of lost one’s in this country still ache with pain . . . . .

Anderson Cooper (CNN anchor) responding to critism of harrowing pictures coming out of Asia

#22523 Reply

daved2424
    Participant

Seamus+Jan 11 2005, 12:00 PM–>(Seamus @ Jan 11 2005, 12:00 PM)
    When I saw a report open with the close-up of a dog on a beach chewing on human remains

This was too much

#22524 Reply

rob237
    Participant

Excellent post, Seamus…..
    The dog’s filming spoke volumes on the Sky News “sensationalism gone mad” scenario.

I dread the ritual self-congratulation which will surely follow if/when awards arise from the tsunami ‘coverage’……..together with the inevitable ego package – always narrated by Jeremy Thompson – which will be used as an advert’ insert ad infinitum.

Their speed in placing reporters at the scene seems likely to make them favourite to be among the honours, which is in itself a sad inditement of the whole awards system.
    Perhaps their dog footage should be shown on the stage backdrop, as the grinning clutch of reporters ascend to collect their trophy.

#22525 Reply

Seamus
    Participant

It is precisely for the benefit of the millions of friends and relatives touched by this disaster that enormous sensitivity should be shown. If I had lost a family member I would NOT want to see the image of a dog chewing on a human bone on the beach, or the image of a lone man standing on the beach and being swept to his death by an incoming wave, or the sight of a reporter casually strolling past a dead and decomposing corpse in the street. It would immediately force me to project that suffering onto my loved one.

There is another matter to consider, and I have heard it discussed in many circles: 24-hour news is just that, and therefore accessible to children at all times of the day and night. An explicitly violent movie is restricted in its viewing slots. Why should the infinitely more disturbing horrors of reality pour from the screen without hesitation?

This was a human tragedy, not to upstaged by the one-upmanship of rival news teams to ‘get there first’ and show off their toys.

#22526 Reply

Forum Member
    Participant

“When I saw a report open with the close-up of a dog on a beach chewing on human remains I decided I had seen enough, as did the rest of my household”

It looked to me as though the dog was eating scraps of pasta, not human remains.

ITV news showed similar scenes 24 hours later.

#22527 Reply

Seamus
    Participant

It was bone. Accompanied by a commentary to substantiate it. That was the point of the piece. A dog eating pasta wouldn’t really have told much of a story…..

#22528 Reply

Forum Member
    Participant

To think about that skull report – how long had that corpse been in the sand? Because it looked very clean with no flesh remaining and could not been from a recently dead body

News film crews are not above re-arranging a scene for the best possible shot. Was the skull from an local ( washed out) cemetery and then just placed in the hole? It all looked contrived to me.

#22529 Reply

AnjaliWOW
    Participant

Very good and honest post Seamus, I agree totally with you, Skynews are becoming more and more out of touch with the human tragedies that they report on, yes the other news services are also similar but I think Skynews are easily outdoing them in this gross style of reporting.
    Some reporters do seem to be genuinely distressed at what they are reporting on. I’m thinking mainly of a report from Julie Etchingham ( not too sure of her name! )
    who did seem very upset when reporting.
    I hope Skynews don’t win any major awards for their reporting on this terrible disaster, I personally would find that disgusting, however, individual awards to certain reporters like I’ve mentioned would be ok.

#22530 Reply

Steven
    Participant

AnjaliWOW+Jan 11 2005, 10:08 PM–>(AnjaliWOW @ Jan 11 2005, 10:08 PM)
    I hope Skynews don’t win any major awards for their reporting on this terrible disaster, I personally would find that disgusting, however, individual awards to certain reporters like I’ve mentioned would be ok.

Seriously. How can you make that distintion?

#22531 Reply

NEWSBOY2
    Participant

Everyone finds it difficult to view footage of the waves engulfing people, but it certaintly wasn’t the first time we’ve seen humans being killed. I can think of countless moments throughout history from wars, 9/11 and the assignation of JFK, where we saw shocking footage of people dying. I think its right we see the reality even if its painful, although we are all in agreement that to continue to show such footage serves no purpose.

#22532 Reply

hamishnewhouse
    Participant

I semi-agree with Seamus, however, as I have said before on skynewsforums the reporting of the tsunami, I feel has booseted the donations to the DEC Appeal. I dont believe that over ?100m would have been donated, as has been done, without these type of sensational reporting.

I dont believe that any awards should be given for the reporting on any desaster, such as this. Why? Because it’s just a way of gaining financially from an utter horrid event. The people who give these awards out should think twice about rewarding the reporting of desasters, such as this. If anyone should be to blame for genarating sensationalism, it should be the reward givers. Otherwise there would be no point on news corporations, such as Sky News, BBC News 24, ITN News or CNN making there reports sensationalistic.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
Reply To: Sky Coverage
Your information: