Sky News Graphics Revamp

Forums Forums TV Newsroom Sky News Graphics Revamp

This topic contains 61 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by  Damian 10 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 62 total)
  • Author

calciofan
    Participant
    #33443 Reply

calciofan
    Participant

Sky News’ Viewers’ Editor Paul Bromley has confirmed that Sky News is "working on a change to our graphics look."

He said, "It is no secret that we are working on a change to our graphics look. It will concentrate initially on what we call the "lower third" of the screen. Our current plan is to make the change in the next few weeks – but not January 29."

He said other changes to the titles and look will not be installed until the spring at the earliest.

http://skynews3.typepad.com

#33444 Reply

HOWIE
    Participant

I think the glove should come back, and then all of the Sky News presenters faces should appear too, when opening to the show on the hour

#33445 Reply

calciofan
    Participant

Latest from Paul’s blog…

Sky News’ design changes for the “lower third” of the screen have now been approved.

The changes will involve:
    | a new way of alerting you to breaking news
    | a redesigned ticker
    | a “richer” on-screen look

You’ll be able to see the new look on air by the end of February.

The exact date depends on some technical issues still to be resolved.

Other changes to on-screen look, like the TOTH opening sequence will be made later.

#33446 Reply

kaylover
    Participant

The current graphics i think look very 2D. Sounds to me they are going to be more like Fox News graphics taking up the bottom 3rd rather than the bottom 4th. And also sounds like sky are gonna have a Sky News Aert! Best thing Sky have done all year.

#33447 Reply

jonn0boy
    Participant

kaylover wrote:…And also sounds like sky are gonna have a Sky News Aert! Best thing Sky have done all year.

Sky have had a ‘Sky News Alert’ since their relaunch, if you mean in terms of the name of the strap. They use it to tell you when news conferences are broadcasting etc.

Or do you mean a fullscreen news alert graphic, kaylover?, in which case i agree with you there.

#33448 Reply

Forum Member
    Participant

Well all these changes sound great, if rumours are true the graphics sound alot more professional.
    One rumour is that the new graphics will involve a Traffic Light system, changing the colour of the graphics for the importance of a story. I’ve also heard that the ticker will change colour.
    so its either Monday 19th January, or Monday 26th January. Can’t wait!

#33449 Reply

Johnnie
    Keymaster

New Sky News Logo?

[attachment=429:newskylogo.jpg]

#33450 Reply

HOWIE
    Participant

Looks awful

#33451 Reply

Johnnie
    Keymaster

Changes from next monday http://media.guardian.co.uk/broadcast/stor…2019028,00.html

Yellow breaking news strap that’ll pop up over the Ticker.

#33452 Reply

OperaGhost
    Participant

Like Sky Sports News then?

#33453 Reply

calciofan
    Participant

Johnnie wrote:Changes from next monday http://media.guardian.co.uk/broadcast/stor…2019028,00.html

Yellow breaking news strap that’ll pop up over the Ticker.

OperaGhost wrote:Like Sky Sports News then?

I made this suggestion on Paul Bromley’s Viewers Editor blog. Better to have a SkySportsNews-style breaking news on the ticker, rather than waste screen space as they do now. It also gives them the option of keeping it on there for as long as they want and scroll more information on it.

Calciofan wrote:Please remove all the “what’s coming up”, “what’s on sky.com/news”, “what’s on Sky News Active” and Email/Text your views.

It gets really annoying that these appear nearly after every report!

Also, an idea for the breaking news strap:

I like Sky News keeping the Breaking News on-screen when you’ve just broken a news story – but it takes too much screen space!

I think you should copy a bit of Sky Sports News and move the Breaking News story to the ticker at the bottom of the screen. Just turn the blue into red when a Breaking News appears?

From: http://skynews3.typepad.com/my_weblog/2007…d_whispers.html

Don’t like the idea of yellow though for the breaking news, I would just prefer the blue strip into a bright red one when a story breaks!

#33454 Reply

Forum Member
    Participant

Hints from another forum something is happening at 9pm tonight, so watch out!

#33455 Reply

Johnnie
    Keymaster

Sounds likey. Sky have a back half-hour at 8:30pm tonight.

#33456 Reply

Johnnie
    Keymaster

The changes are imminent – in line with my previous comments that they will be on air by the end of this month.

http://skynews3.typepad.com/my_weblog/2 … l#comments

#33457 Reply

vicky23
    Participant

Well im not all that impressed by the ‘new look’. 9PM rumours were right.

#33458 Reply

HOWIE
    Participant

I love it could, more changes could be made in my opinion espically the backgrounds, & how is the breaking news more richer ?

#33459 Reply

vicky23
    Participant

i liked the breaking news in yellow. All the black is a bit depressing. For a moment I thought my TV had gone into Black and White mode

#33460 Reply

HOWIE
    Participant

I hate the global still as a background

#33461 Reply

Johnnie
    Keymaster
    #33462 Reply

HOWIE
    Participant

Sky still has still to come on our webiste & coming up to, get rid of this i think …..

#33463 Reply

jonn0boy
    Participant

Is that everything changed then, nothing more is happening tommorow?

#33464 Reply

jonn0boy
    Participant

By the way I gotta get used to these graphics again, I’m not sure though. This was the first time I went ‘Woah’ at the graphics change on Sky News.

#33465 Reply

calciofan
    Participant

The last set of graphics were fine except the ‘Breaking News’ strap being over used. Didn’t expect this new set!

The logo looks out of place (and some of the presenter name straps do too) and it looks like a mess when sports results/tables are shown!

Bring back the sliding logo!

The Live strap looks too much like the BBC’s old ones.

#33466 Reply

OperaGhost
    Participant

I’ve never heard of these places on that awful weather ticker, where are "Aberdee", Birmingha" and "Manchest" when they’re at home?

Apart from that, it does stand out.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 62 total)
Reply To: Sky News Graphics Revamp
Your information: