Sky News in the US on DirecTV?

Discussion Forums Forums TV Newsroom Sky News in the US on DirecTV?

This topic contains 18 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  HBox 12 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author

BarryS14
    Participant
    #24873 Reply

BarryS14
    Participant

Hello Everyone. Does anyone know if their are plans to launch Sky News in the US on DirecTV? Since DirecTV, SKY, Fox News Channel, and SKY News are all own by News Corp. the parent company, it would seem logical to add Sky News for getting our international news. I’ve read in another post where Fox News was blocking Sky News from being launched in the US. I know Fox News Channel is on SKY so why couldn’t SKY be on DirecTV? Maybe News Corp. is waiting for our DirecTV Active service to launch sometime in June. Then SKY News could be added on. DirecTV already has SKY TG 24 which is the Italian version of SKY News but you have to pay an additional USD 9.99/month GBP 5.25/month.

Cheers.

#24874 Reply

PJMulholland
    Participant

I’m sure FOX will try to block its launch for as long as possible.

I think it is working on the principle that “ignorance is bliss” for its viewers.

:rolleyes:

#24875 Reply

daved2424
    Participant

PJMulholland+Jun 2 2005, 12:56 AM–>(PJMulholland @ Jun 2 2005, 12:56 AM)

I think it is working on the principle that “ignorance is bliss” for its viewers.

You are a moron. Sky News is already available in the US. As to which platforms it is on I am unsure.

#24876 Reply

HBox
    Participant

I was actually under the impression that Sky News was blocked from launching in the US by Fox News, several media websites support this. However, that was a few years ago, and Sky may now be available over there, but I doubt very widely.

#24877 Reply

tippguy
    Participant

as far as i no sky were only blocked setting up a sky news usa. why would any of the us stations want to block sky news uk. its not really competion

#24878 Reply

PJMulholland
    Participant

daved2424+Jun 2 2005, 12:41 PM–>(daved2424 @ Jun 2 2005, 12:41 PM)

You are a moron. Sky News is already available in the US. As to which platforms it is on I am unsure.

Please, I am all ears! Tell us where it is available and we shall see just who the “moron” is. :rolleyes:

#24879 Reply

daved2424
    Participant

PJMulholland+Jun 3 2005, 01:45 AM–>(PJMulholland @ Jun 3 2005, 01:45 AM)

daved2424+Jun 2 2005, 12:41 PM–>(daved2424 @ Jun 2 2005, 12:41 PM)

Please, I am all ears! Tell us where it is available and we shall see just who the “moron” is. :rolleyes:

I am calling you a moron and quoting what you have said, and in that quote you do not mention Sky News being available in the US. So it is far to say that I am calling you a moron from what I have quoted you as saying. I then go on to talk about Sky News being available in the US. I have already answered this, but mistakenly in the wrong thread:

http://skynewscentre.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=905

I was trying to find out exactly where Sky News is available, but to no avail. One website quotes: “During 2003, plans to offer Sky News in the US were under consideration, but have since been dropped… Sky News is also available on satellite in Africa, the Middle East and India, while a sister service, Sky News Australia, is available in Australia and New Zealand.” But I know this list is not definiative as it is also available in places such as Italy and Cyprus. So as to it being available in the US, I am actually unsure.

Source: http://www.answers.com/topic/sky-news

So a small error on my part as opposed to just pure ignorance on yours from reading your other posts.

Sky News output is however taken by Bloomberg in the US, but I can’t remember what they do with it.

#24880 Reply

PJMulholland
    Participant

daved2424+Jun 3 2005, 06:16 PM–>(daved2424 @ Jun 3 2005, 06:16 PM)
    I am calling you a moron and quoting what you have said, and in that quote you do not mention Sky News being available in the US. So it is far to say that I am calling you a moron from what I have quoted you as saying. I then go on to talk about Sky News being available in the US. I have already answered this, but mistakenly in the wrong thread:

I have a hard time understanding what all these obtuse ramblings are getting at, but it seems fairly clear that I said there was no Sky News channel distributed in the US, you insulted me based on that remark, and it was shown to be correct.

Now…do you care to apologise? :rolleyes:

#24881 Reply

daved2424
    Participant

I did not insult you based on that remark because you hadn’t, at the time, made it before I insulted you!

#24882 Reply

PJMulholland
    Participant

daved2424+Jun 3 2005, 07:33 PM–>(daved2424 @ Jun 3 2005, 07:33 PM)
    I did not insult you based on that remark because you hadn’t, at the time, made it before I insulted you!

Come again?

I said Fox would/had block a launch at about 1am on the 2nd June. You replied -with the full quote – about 12 hours later, and insulted me.
    What have I missed?

#24883 Reply

NEWSBOY2
    Participant

Well if you know the right know how you could properly access an illegal feed through a satellite. My uni gets BBC World although its officially not suppose to be “available for uk viewers”. But in terms of legal broadcast Sky isn?t available in the USA ? as already been said.

#24884 Reply

PJMulholland
    Participant

Isnt BBCW unencryted on Eutelsat or something though.

Nothing exists like that for Sky in the US.

#24885 Reply

NEWSBOY2
    Participant

Dunno, they haven’t explained how it works, we also don’t get the ad breaks on Sky as well, just interactive filler stuff along with the theme music.

#24886 Reply

daved2424
    Participant

PJMulholland+Jun 3 2005, 07:42 PM–>(PJMulholland @ Jun 3 2005, 07:42 PM)

Come again?

I said Fox would/had block a launch at about 1am on the 2nd June. You replied -with the full quote – about 12 hours later, and insulted me.
    What have I missed?

No. Someone asked about Sky News being available in the US. You made some stupid remark about FOX and ignorance is bliss. I then called you a moron based on you saying that (and other posts you had made too). I then said that Sky News is available in the US (which it may not be). Granted, two seperate paragraphs should have been used and I should have made it clearer who I was directing what bit too, but we are all intellegent people aren’t we? We can work some things out for ourselves?

#24887 Reply

PJMulholland
    Participant

You yourself intimated in your reply that you understood that one of the points I was making was that Sky wasn’t available in the US. Why else say “Sky News is already available in the US.” Yes, you used a full stop and I guess you could worm out of it on some point of symantics by saying you were talking about something else, but, as I saw it – and I’m guessing most other people who read it as well would do also – you were insulting me for saying Sky wasnt available in the US (which was part of the intention of what I was saying.)

Such pettiness is most unbecoming Dave. :rolleyes:

#24888 Reply

Forum Member
    Participant

daved2424+Jun 3 2005, 08:26 PM–>(daved2424 @ Jun 3 2005, 08:26 PM)

PJMulholland+Jun 3 2005, 07:42 PM–>(PJMulholland @ Jun 3 2005, 07:42 PM)

Come again?

What have I missed?

No. Someone asked about Sky News being available in the US. You made some stupid remark about FOX and ignorance is bliss. I then called you a moron based on you saying that (and other posts you had made too). I then said that Sky News is available in the US (which it may not be). Granted, two seperate paragraphs should have been used and I should have made it clearer who I was directing what bit too, but we are all intellegent people aren’t we? We can work some things out for ourselves?

It wasn’t a stupid remark about Fox though – they did block Sky News being broadcast in the US.

#24889 Reply

HBox
    Participant

PJMulholland+Jun 3 2005, 07:20 PM–>(PJMulholland @ Jun 3 2005, 07:20 PM)

daved2424+Jun 3 2005, 06:16 PM–>(daved2424 @ Jun 3 2005, 06:16 PM)

I have a hard time understanding what all these obtuse ramblings are getting at, but it seems fairly clear that I said there was no Sky News channel distributed in the US, you insulted me based on that remark, and it was shown to be correct.

Now…do you care to apologise? :rolleyes:

Actually, you did not say that there was no Sky News channel in the US, you infact said that Fox would try and block Sky from launching there for as long as possible.
    Furthermore, he was, and quite rightly so, calling you a moron in relation to your “ignorance is bliss” remark. Nowhere in that post did you ever mention that a Sky News channel is not available. Read your post again.

No doubt that US officials of high political importance have access to Sky News and various other foreign news channels, but that is besides the point.

#24890 Reply

HBox
    Participant

And before you highlight it, I am fully aware that you could claim that you inferred that there is no Sky News channel in the US from the above post. But it quite clearly shows that you did not say that there was no Sky News channel in the US.

Perhaps we can go back to peaceful posting.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
Reply To: Sky News in the US on DirecTV?
Your information:

Add New Topic Login Register