Sky news is dull now

Forums Forums TV Newsroom Sky news is dull now

This topic contains 45 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  Lone 10 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 46 total)
  • Author

sure
    Participant
    #32988 Reply

sure
    Participant

back in the day when martin and julie presented sky news today it was enjoyable. now its dull. i think they need to bring them back to that format. even sunrise is dull.

#32989 Reply

guvnorgaz
    Participant

sure wrote:back in the day when martin and julie presented sky news today it was enjoyable. now its dull. i think they need to bring them back to that format. even sunrise is dull.

Today was poor, they start talking to someone about the big story, then as soon as they start speaking they cut them off and go to another story.I turned on at 2.30 and didnt find out about some nutter bursting into Stormont with a gun at 5pm as they were more concerned with a dead Russian,and if they use any more graphics on screen they wont need presenters, I watched Al Jaz last night and it was much better, little graphic use and they report on the story in hand BEFORE moving onto the next breaking headline.Im stunned that Sky News keep winning awards

#32990 Reply

Forum Member
    Participant

I don’t agree that Sky News is dull and I certainly don’t agree with guvnorgaz that news of “a dead Russian” is unimportant; far from it, in my opinion.

Sky News is certainly the fastest. Having heard about the Russian’s tragic death at about 11pm on Sky last night, I turned first to the ITV News and then to Newsnight and heard them both announce the news some minutes later. Sorry I can’t speak for the BBC News Channel: I couldn’t force myself to watch that even in the interest of research.

Sky News is not perfect, but it is far superior to any of its competition (with the possible exception of Channel 4 at 7pm.)

#32991 Reply

vicky23
    Participant

As long as there is no Martin Popplewell Im happy, he is the definition of Boring hmy:

#32992 Reply

Lone
    Participant

With regards to last nights breaking news of the Russian spy death, I do know that whilst Sky went to air first with their big flashy breaking news banners (and of course letting everyone know about ‘Sky sources’ bringing the news to light, a la Fox News), I turned over to News 24 and it must’ve been no more then 1min max before they broke the news too. Euronews had a banner going across with the story, and AJI didn’t show it straight away, though that’s understandable considering their ‘global’ viewpoint, and in anycase they included it in their very next headline.

With regards to the channel being dull, yes I find it dull but that’s mainly due to me personally finding the stories they cover being too repititive and dare I say even predictable. And 9/10 BBC are covering the exact same stories as Sky, which is why I like to turn over to Euronews, and since last week to AJI.

#32993 Reply

Forum Member
    Participant

I really can’t agree with vicky23 regarding Martin Popplewell. He makes an ideal stand-in for Martin Stanford: a real journalist, who can do more than read what’s put in front of him. He can interview perceptively and he shows genuine understanding of the subject in hand. Wherever he is in ten years’ time, on Sky or elsewhere if they don’t hang on to him, I predict that he will be one of the Britain’s most respected newsmen.

#32994 Reply

irxin
    Participant

DRL wrote:I really can’t agree with vicky23 regarding Martin Popplewell. He makes an ideal stand-in for Martin Stanford: a real journalist, who can do more than read what’s put in front of him. He can interview perceptively and he shows genuine understanding of the subject in hand. Wherever he is in ten years’ time, on Sky or elsewhere if they don’t hang on to him, I predict that he will be one of the Britain’s most respected newsmen.

Not my idea of a real journalist – he should work for the beeb or the Gaurdian. When he did the papers we leart that he did not drive, was a vegatarain and rather than being the talk of the pub it was the cocktail party. I am sure there was one other point which I cannot recall.
    Apart from the fact that he does not live in the real world why do I know these things about him? -He should be getting the reviewers opinion not giving us his own.

#32995 Reply

Forum Member
    Participant

I?m getting fed-up with all the regular News outputs. They try to get their own presentation be it sprawling on sofas, walking across the studio floor to a desk to speak ? it?s dragging out the airtime and it adds to the boredom.

I?ve been fascinated with Al Jazeera International. They have reinvented, and added to, the wonderful CNN, Sky news of old

Good luck to them

Mickey

#32996 Reply

guvnorgaz
    Participant

DRL wrote:I don’t agree that Sky News is dull and I certainly don’t agree with guvnorgaz that news of “a dead Russian” is unimportant; far from it, in my opinion.

Sky News is certainly the fastest. Having heard about the Russian’s tragic death at about 11pm on Sky last night, I turned first to the ITV News and then to Newsnight and heard them both announce the news some minutes later. Sorry I can’t speak for the BBC News Channel: I couldn’t force myself to watch that even in the interest of research.

Sky News is not perfect, but it is far superior to any of its competition (with the possible exception of Channel 4 at 7pm.)

Its not that the Russians death was unimportant, of course it was, but they went on about it all afternoon and hardly mentioned what happened at Stormont, which I would say was a far more important story. They flit from person to person far to quick, they go to one correspondent who has new info, they hardly have a chance to open their mouth before they shut them up and move onto someone else, to keen to report the breaking news headlines than to actually reveal the full details

#32997 Reply

classeyham
    Participant

sure wrote:back in the day when martin and julie presented sky news today it was enjoyable. now its dull. I think they need to bring them back to that format. Even sunrise is dull.

Right back where we started from Sinitta (1989)…

Sure. You got it. SN is back where they started from. Martin “The little drummer boy” couldn?t get his own big newswall like the old days, and then he is a simple reporter very like the man down to earth. Julie Etchingham isn?t the same top-professional reporter, since she went back to Sky News after the delivery. She know that, but we must give her a chance ot two, too.
    I am sure, she can?t even remember Simon McCoy and Miss Etchingham talking 25 years day, when Elvis was gone for ever: Love Me Tender… It was enjoyable with “Elvis the Pelwis” and “Elvis the Pussy”. Julie screemed like a…horse?????? Normal? she was sweet that time….but now, sure – even sunrice and to look at them is very dull.

….Right back where we started from……classey…….

#32998 Reply

Lone
    Participant

irxin wrote:
    When he did the papers we leart that he did not drive, was a vegatarain and rather than being the talk of the pub it was the cocktail party.

Sounds to me like the new James Bond, all he needs is to drive a Ford and hate guns and he could audition for the role

#32999 Reply

Lone
    Participant

mickey wrote:I?m getting fed-up with all the regular News outputs. They try to get their own presentation be it sprawling on sofas, walking across the studio floor to a desk to speak ? it?s dragging out the airtime and it adds to the boredom.

I?ve been fascinated with Al Jazeera International. They have reinvented, and added to, the wonderful CNN, Sky news of old

Good luck to them

Mickey

Completely agree with you, the battle to get viewers and concentrating on all areas expect the delivery of news itself (and hence the overall quality) is really making all the news channels suffer. As with a lot of things, the news channels are on a constant slide towards becoming more like the American’s. Using breaking news as an example, I think it’s quite sad that the channels feel the need to break the news ASAP and get it in first before their rivals, I’d much rather get the news much later but with more info and less haste.

On the point of AJI, this might make me sound a bit dumb but has anyone noticed whether their presenters wear ear pieces? It’s just that on News 24 and Sky (and the other channels too) the ear piece is clearly evident but so far I haven’t been able to spot the AJI people with an ear piece (although this could easily be me needing a new eye test).

#33000 Reply

HOWIE
    Participant

What is with this weekend subliment where Allan presents for 30 then Paula is this going to be permant?

#33001 Reply

Forum Member
    Participant

Sky news , I think, should get back to the old format where the viewer is treated with more respect. Why? Because at the moment all the news chns ( AJI accepted) treat the news as an entertainment media.

Years ago the BBC employed ?News Readers? and that?s all they did i.e. read the News ? what they read was written, as a script, by the editors. In the same way as the editors of Newspapers do.

What we have today is the banality, of those put in front of the cameras, trying to put over the news being folksy and girl/boy next-door type of image.

Lets get back to decent News Readers of old. i.e. the Robert McDougall, Kenneth Kendall, Angela Rippon, Anna Ford, Jan Lemming to name a few.

Mickey

#33002 Reply

sure
    Participant

lets just face it sky news SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!! its as dull as watchin paint dry.

#33003 Reply

guvnorgaz
    Participant

That does seem to be Sky’s priority, to break the news first instead of just giving you the full story before moving on, who cares who told you first?If you are watching BBC you wont know if Sky are telling you the breaking news first. I also hate that breaking news strap, there is no need, why not put breaking news on the strap at the bottom instead of taking up the whole screen with another graphic? And why keep the graphic up when the presenter is telling you the same thing?

#33004 Reply

Lone
    Participant

guvnorgaz wrote:That does seem to be Sky’s priority, to break the news first instead of just giving you the full story before moving on, who cares who told you first?If you are watching BBC you wont know if Sky are telling you the breaking news first. I also hate that breaking news strap, there is no need, why not put breaking news on the strap at the bottom instead of taking up the whole screen with another graphic? And why keep the graphic up when the presenter is telling you the same thing?

The sad thing is that the BBC have recently felt the need to emulate Sky and make their breaking news banner a bit bigger and more flashy, which goes back to what I said about them all sliding in the same direction.

I think the BBC bigwig which has been interviewed by this site is responsible.

#33005 Reply

Evan
    Participant

Sky News relaunched over a year ago now and frankly in my opinion apart from Kay Burley’s Lunctime Live show it simply hasn’t worked although, dispensing with James Rubin’s segment was a good move for me. I think they need to swallow their pride and re-employ the likes of Viv and Sheila again.

#33006 Reply

classeyham
    Participant

sure wrote:lets just face it sky news SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!! its as dull as watchin paint dry.

You are right. That?s for sure! Friendly……classey…….

#33007 Reply

crazyfj
    Participant

it has not changed, before Sky had a face lift it was slow and boring.

now they have tried a few things, they think it did’nt work, so back to the same old.

fresh faces, fresh style, make Sky News Today the quick and fast news program it once was!

#33008 Reply

guvnorgaz
    Participant

They change things around, the trouble is they change everything, even the stuff that was working

#33009 Reply

classeyham
    Participant

guvnorgaz wrote:They change things around, the trouble is they change everything, even the stuff that was working

Okay, guvnorgaz – then I agree with you!….classey…..

#33010 Reply

guvnorgaz
    Participant

Lots of people liked Emma and Steve Gaisford on weekend Sunrise, that got scrapped,I liked the different camera shots and different places to present from, thats gone, they put up more and more graphics, its stupid. The only thing they have done that I agree with is give Colin Brazier plenty of hours because he is good

#33011 Reply

classeyham
    Participant

Here I Go Again (Whitesnake) No.1 # US for 1 wks. in US (1987)…

Sorry. For me Colin Brazier isn?t the eight wonder of the world (just seen him at Sky contra BBC & ITV). He still looks like a corrospondent just coming from Hong Kong or US….
    On the other hand the “new” weather-girl, Isobel Lang, former BBC, is already one of the best at Sky News. Only Francis Wilson and Joanne Wheeler has the same high level, I think…..
    …..classey……. :dry:

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 46 total)
Reply To: Sky news is dull now
Your information: