You're here: Home - TV Newsroom - Sky news is dull now

Sky news is dull now

This topic contains 45 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by Lone Lone 11 years ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 46 total)
  • Sure
    sure
    Member

    back in the day when martin and julie presented sky news today it was enjoyable. now its dull. i think they need to bring them back to that format. even sunrise is dull.

    #32988 Reply
    Guvnorgaz
    guvnorgaz
    Member

    sure wrote:back in the day when martin and julie presented sky news today it was enjoyable. now its dull. i think they need to bring them back to that format. even sunrise is dull.

    Today was poor, they start talking to someone about the big story, then as soon as they start speaking they cut them off and go to another story.I turned on at 2.30 and didnt find out about some nutter bursting into Stormont with a gun at 5pm as they were more concerned with a dead Russian,and if they use any more graphics on screen they wont need presenters, I watched Al Jaz last night and it was much better, little graphic use and they report on the story in hand BEFORE moving onto the next breaking headline.Im stunned that Sky News keep winning awards

    #32989 Reply
    Forum Member
    Forum Member
    Member

    I don’t agree that Sky News is dull and I certainly don’t agree with guvnorgaz that news of “a dead Russian” is unimportant; far from it, in my opinion.

    Sky News is certainly the fastest. Having heard about the Russian’s tragic death at about 11pm on Sky last night, I turned first to the ITV News and then to Newsnight and heard them both announce the news some minutes later. Sorry I can’t speak for the BBC News Channel: I couldn’t force myself to watch that even in the interest of research.

    Sky News is not perfect, but it is far superior to any of its competition (with the possible exception of Channel 4 at 7pm.)

    #32990 Reply
    Vicky23
    vicky23
    Member

    As long as there is no Martin Popplewell Im happy, he is the definition of Boring hmy:

    #32991 Reply
    Lone
    Lone
    Member

    With regards to last nights breaking news of the Russian spy death, I do know that whilst Sky went to air first with their big flashy breaking news banners (and of course letting everyone know about ‘Sky sources’ bringing the news to light, a la Fox News), I turned over to News 24 and it must’ve been no more then 1min max before they broke the news too. Euronews had a banner going across with the story, and AJI didn’t show it straight away, though that’s understandable considering their ‘global’ viewpoint, and in anycase they included it in their very next headline.

    With regards to the channel being dull, yes I find it dull but that’s mainly due to me personally finding the stories they cover being too repititive and dare I say even predictable. And 9/10 BBC are covering the exact same stories as Sky, which is why I like to turn over to Euronews, and since last week to AJI.

    #32992 Reply
    Forum Member
    Forum Member
    Member

    I really can’t agree with vicky23 regarding Martin Popplewell. He makes an ideal stand-in for Martin Stanford: a real journalist, who can do more than read what’s put in front of him. He can interview perceptively and he shows genuine understanding of the subject in hand. Wherever he is in ten years’ time, on Sky or elsewhere if they don’t hang on to him, I predict that he will be one of the Britain’s most respected newsmen.

    #32993 Reply
    Irxin
    irxin
    Member

    DRL wrote:I really can’t agree with vicky23 regarding Martin Popplewell. He makes an ideal stand-in for Martin Stanford: a real journalist, who can do more than read what’s put in front of him. He can interview perceptively and he shows genuine understanding of the subject in hand. Wherever he is in ten years’ time, on Sky or elsewhere if they don’t hang on to him, I predict that he will be one of the Britain’s most respected newsmen.

    Not my idea of a real journalist – he should work for the beeb or the Gaurdian. When he did the papers we leart that he did not drive, was a vegatarain and rather than being the talk of the pub it was the cocktail party. I am sure there was one other point which I cannot recall.
    Apart from the fact that he does not live in the real world why do I know these things about him? -He should be getting the reviewers opinion not giving us his own.

    #32994 Reply
    Forum Member
    Forum Member
    Member

    I?m getting fed-up with all the regular News outputs. They try to get their own presentation be it sprawling on sofas, walking across the studio floor to a desk to speak ? it?s dragging out the airtime and it adds to the boredom.

    I?ve been fascinated with Al Jazeera International. They have reinvented, and added to, the wonderful CNN, Sky news of old

    Good luck to them

    Mickey

    #32995 Reply
    Guvnorgaz
    guvnorgaz
    Member

    DRL wrote:I don’t agree that Sky News is dull and I certainly don’t agree with guvnorgaz that news of “a dead Russian” is unimportant; far from it, in my opinion.

    Sky News is certainly the fastest. Having heard about the Russian’s tragic death at about 11pm on Sky last night, I turned first to the ITV News and then to Newsnight and heard them both announce the news some minutes later. Sorry I can’t speak for the BBC News Channel: I couldn’t force myself to watch that even in the interest of research.

    Sky News is not perfect, but it is far superior to any of its competition (with the possible exception of Channel 4 at 7pm.)

    Its not that the Russians death was unimportant, of course it was, but they went on about it all afternoon and hardly mentioned what happened at Stormont, which I would say was a far more important story. They flit from person to person far to quick, they go to one correspondent who has new info, they hardly have a chance to open their mouth before they shut them up and move onto someone else, to keen to report the breaking news headlines than to actually reveal the full details

    #32996 Reply
    Classeyham
    classeyham
    Member

    sure wrote:back in the day when martin and julie presented sky news today it was enjoyable. now its dull. I think they need to bring them back to that format. Even sunrise is dull.

    Right back where we started from Sinitta (1989)…

    Sure. You got it. SN is back where they started from. Martin “The little drummer boy” couldn?t get his own big newswall like the old days, and then he is a simple reporter very like the man down to earth. Julie Etchingham isn?t the same top-professional reporter, since she went back to Sky News after the delivery. She know that, but we must give her a chance ot two, too.
    I am sure, she can?t even remember Simon McCoy and Miss Etchingham talking 25 years day, when Elvis was gone for ever: Love Me Tender… It was enjoyable with “Elvis the Pelwis” and “Elvis the Pussy”. Julie screemed like a…horse?????? Normal? she was sweet that time….but now, sure – even sunrice and to look at them is very dull.

    ….Right back where we started from……classey…….

    #32997 Reply
    Lone
    Lone
    Member

    irxin wrote:
    When he did the papers we leart that he did not drive, was a vegatarain and rather than being the talk of the pub it was the cocktail party.

    Sounds to me like the new James Bond, all he needs is to drive a Ford and hate guns and he could audition for the role

    #32998 Reply
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 46 total)
Reply To: Sky news is dull now
Your information:





<a href="" title="" rel="" target=""> <blockquote cite=""> <code> <pre> <em> <strong> <del datetime=""> <ul> <ol start=""> <li> <img src="" border="" alt="" height="" width="">