Sky News Relaunch

Discussion Forums Forums TV Newsroom Sky News Relaunch

This topic contains 201 replies, has 44 voices, and was last updated by  Johnnie 11 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 202 total)
  • Author

Johnnie
    Keymaster
    #27223 Reply

Johnnie
    Keymaster

On Monday 24th October 2005, Sky News will relaunch from its new studio complex and with a new on-air look.

At 6am on Monday morning this thread will be opened for members of NewsForums to discuss the launch.

The current ‘new studio’ thread will be locked.

#27224 Reply

calciofan
    Participant

Very different!!

Wow!!

Love the ticker.

#27225 Reply

garethjordan
    Participant

lorna looking lovely

#27226 Reply

SimUK
    Participant

6am, and the new look Sky News is here

The website went live a little early at ~5:38am and was screencapped by me the second I saw it load up (and I’d been trying constantly to see it do so!) http://tinypic.com/ev9jeo.jpg

New intro music, lens flare on the intro sequence and speeded up looking graphics, before it goes to the more normal music (but remixed)

Think Eamonn said something about “welcome BBC” but didn’t quite hear what he said (was too busy looking at the set and graphics)

First story on the intro sequence: Birmingham riots. Wilma hurricane approaching Florida. David Davis/Cameron.

Active button is bottom left, left of Sky News logo/clock, and rotates with the website address/email address.

Looks great!

#27227 Reply

Johnnie
    Keymaster

Fantastic!!

#27228 Reply

kev667
    Participant

oh.. this is something else. ..a different gear, i am in love already.

#27229 Reply

st1407
    Participant

The opening sequence is great! Wonderful

#27230 Reply

jonn0boy
    Participant

The active service is very good and comes on screen VERY quickly

#27231 Reply

SimUK
    Participant

Umm, most of the video clips they’re using for stories appear to still be in 4:3 instead of 16:9…

Can’t wait to see the first Breaking News strap… just hope they’ve still got that iconic woosh!

#27232 Reply

jonn0boy
    Participant

And my satellite goes

#27233 Reply

jonn0boy
    Participant

Nice weather/hurricane graphics!!!

#27234 Reply

kev667
    Participant

i was going to say that too, active loads VERY quick.

also, the startup sequence was very TV-AM! it built itself up slowly & with confidence, to a roar.. then you’re ready for the news.

..i think when they start to break something and all turns red, i might faint.

#27235 Reply

SimUK
    Participant

Do you get the feeling it wasn’t a good idea to launch a totally new look and feel with a new presenter? It’s thrown Eamonn in at the deep end a bit hasn’t it? Surely it’d be hard enough for any regular Sky News presenter, but a new one just seems to be asking for trouble…

Still, he’s not doing bad… few nervous pauses but not bad really The 4:3 video for reports is really annoying though. Someone surely thought about that before it went live?! It’s one of the things that has annoied me about BBC News 24’s “widescreen” and makes it a bit of a joke.

Don’t like the “locator” as much for place names… that big animated “L I V E” with the location under it worked really well visually, where as the new one looks a bit “itv news” doens’t it? Guess it’s just a matter of getting used to it, but I’ll miss that from the old style…

#27236 Reply

newshound_ie
    Participant

Looking good, however if I flick back from NTL digital (16:9) to NTL analog signal the 4:3 picture only shows the ‘ws’ of ‘sky.com/news’… I would have thought the graphics would have been designed with a 4:3 safe area in mind….

#27237 Reply

kev667
    Participant

noone’s going to like me saying this…. ….but i’m thinking ITV News. …. the ticker is very similar, except nicer graphically and not all CAPS. & the very small LIVE in the top left is.. Itv’s too..!

#27238 Reply

jonn0boy
    Participant

Break some news quick, even if it is something as stupid as an oldl ady losing her handbag!!!!

#27239 Reply

SimUK
    Participant

kev667+Oct 24 2005, 06:10 AM–>(kev667 @ Oct 24 2005, 06:10 AM)
    noone’s going to like me saying this…. ….but i’m thinking ITV News. …. the ticker is very similar, except nicer graphically & the very small LIVE in the top left is.. Itv’s too..!

Yes I agree, it does have an “ITV News” feel to it (and that’s not good, but then I don’t need to tell you all that :rolleyes:) I guess what will set it apart from being ITV News though is the quality of reporting/presenting – something which Sky manages to get right, and ITV never quite seems to manage, as far as I’m concerned.

I guess it’s hard to better something that was already pretty much perfect…?

#27240 Reply

calciofan
    Participant

I like the newswall, but you can see all the black lines too clearly!

#27241 Reply

caseymorris
    Participant

Well impressed.. Worth waiting for. I am a little hungover and it is early – but is the ticker tape extremely small?

#27242 Reply

jonn0boy
    Participant

That double presenter screen with Tim Marshall and Lorna was BRILLIANT!

#27243 Reply

garethjordan
    Participant

wayne rooney frozen screen???

#27244 Reply

kev667
    Participant

good good.. i did hope they would have him live.. timbo that is. ..i presume it’ll be hitting properly around after lunchtime here.. sweet.

i presume and hope all the foreign correspondents will be coming in live today at some point? just to show off. ..lol, here’s me hoping anyway.

the new dual screen is looking nice, ahh – and when they add a LIVE:FLorida to the graphic, it looks a lot less ITV.

#27245 Reply

SimUK
    Participant

The lack of the slug giving you an idea of what the report is for a quick glance at the screen is also a bit odd… I know it didn’t always used to be there on all reports but you’d have “HURRICANE WILMA” and then the white part of the strap rotating around key points of the story – you’ve got that now with Tim’s live report from Florida but it’s just 1 line of text black on white which doesn’t seem to give them as many words-per-screen as the old one?

oops first mistake (that I’ve spotted). some footballer appeared on screen during the “top stories” talking about the Birmingham shooting.

Blimey how quick was that weather report??

#27246 Reply

jonn0boy
    Participant

It is 20 minutes young, so we cant criticise it yet, because we have seen nothing!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 202 total)
Reply To: Sky News Relaunch
Your information:

Add New Topic Login Register