Sky News: The Overnights

Forums Forums TV Newsroom Sky News: The Overnights

This topic contains 66 replies, has 22 voices, and was last updated by  OperaGhost 11 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 67 total)
  • Author

jonn0boy
    Participant
    #27588 Reply

jonn0boy
    Participant

I see the overnight team have changed nothin from studio 2.

They sit at their desk for the duration and make no use of the technology.
    There are many positions that the presenters stand at in the new studios, so why doesn’t Martin Popplewell and the overnight team make use of them?
    Why don’t they use the vast array of technology?

I was hoping for a more alive overnight service but it is same old, same old!

#27589 Reply

RobUK
    Participant

jonn0boy+Oct 26 2005, 08:10 PM–>(jonn0boy @ Oct 26 2005, 08:10 PM)

There are many positions that the presenters stand at in the new studios, so why doesn’t Martin Popplewell and the overnight team make use of them?

Overnights isnt going to make use of the full technology- theres hardly any crew (not sure but isnt the overnight presenter on there own, or do they have a floor manager?). Martin can’t operate the cameras and present, so they just stick to the desk.

#27590 Reply

dirkyt
    Participant

jonn0boy+Oct 26 2005, 08:10 PM–>(jonn0boy @ Oct 26 2005, 08:10 PM)

I really hope that Juliette, Em, Allan and co don’t get strapped to their seats when the weekend shifts begin. All your points are valid for the weekends yet not for overnights.

#27591 Reply

Glenn
    Participant

I will admit that I am quite the fan of Gordon Radley, in addition to Steve Dixon (I need to write to him because he promised me an autograph!). But I’m rather concerned that the overnights are being done by those that aren’t quite main anchors, but those who nonetheless bear an impact on the daytime schedules of old, like Martin P and Anjali. No disrespect to them but I hope that Michael Watkins and Gordon Radley will still bear an impact on the overnights. :unsure:

#27592 Reply

Will Riker
    Participant

Overnight SKY NEWS now needs a name like

Sky Newswatch
    Sky Latenight News
    Sky News Overnight
    Sky News Now

#27593 Reply

HBox
    Participant

Michael Watkins is apalling, his presenting style is redundant.

#27594 Reply

jonn0boy
    Participant

Yes, I agree, Michael Watkins is quite appalling, and is void of any personality whatsoever and on the graveyard shift that is not a good thing.

Gordon Radley is exceptionally good and I am disappointed that he has been overtaken by Martin Popplewell and Anjali Rao.

I hope Gordon will be presenting overnights on the weekend or in the next week otherwise I am going to be an Old Bint and write to sky asking why and where is he!

#27595 Reply

Glenn
    Participant

I’ve seen some of Gordon’s continuity work when he was with TVS, and even now he doesn’t seem to have lost any of his wit or humour. When he did Sky World News a week or so ago he referred to Graham Winch as his ‘supporting star’. lol The man’s a legend. If I don’t see Gordon then I too’ll be writing into Sky.

#27596 Reply

RobUK
    Participant

Glenn+Oct 28 2005, 05:23 AM–>(Glenn @ Oct 28 2005, 05:23 AM)
    I’ve seen some of Gordon’s continuity work when he was with TVS, and even now he doesn’t seem to have lost any of his wit or humour. When he did Sky World News a week or so ago he referred to Graham Winch as his ‘supporting star’. lol The man’s a legend. If I don’t see Gordon then I too’ll be writing into Sky.

I wonder if its just a case of his shift coming round? `Dont overnight presenters do a few shifts, then they are off for a few days?

#27597 Reply

Robbbo
    Participant

They do need to liven up the overnight news. Surely they could use the newswall or at least stand up occasionally and present from a different position in the studio!!

#27598 Reply

jonn0boy
    Participant

There used to be 3 overnight presenters every week, I hust hope Gordon is on weekend overnights!

#27599 Reply

daved2424
    Participant

It costs money to change the overnight format. There is a seriously reduced crew and to have the presenter standing up would mean paying for a camera op.

#27600 Reply

thegraphic
    Participant

You have to put it into context as well,

How many people watch the overnight news

Does the amount of people warrant a larger sum of money being spent.

Sadly no.

#27601 Reply

guvnorgaz
    Participant

i like anjali on through the night

#27602 Reply

dirkyt
    Participant

I am a fan of Anjali – she is wasted on overnights though!

#27603 Reply

jonn0boy
    Participant

TheGraphic,

You are forgetting that Sky is shown worldwide and their foreign viewers outnumber national viewers, so I think it does warrant the money!

Sadly YES

#27604 Reply

Forum Member
    Participant

Gordon is no more.

The night shifts are understaffed as ever and there is growing unrest in the ranks. The night shift team went to air for the first time on Monday night without a rehearsal, without any idea of which set to use and without any training in the new studio.

Same shite, different studio.

#27605 Reply

Glenn
    Participant

Well it’s been Watkins tonight. I wonder if it’s a case of Gordon being in rehearsals before making his mark on the new Sky News. I’ll be really annoyed if he’s been let go because he is a real asset and makes the graveyard (shift) stand up at night.

#27606 Reply

Forum Member
    Participant

The overnight presenters are MP, AR, MW and Kevin Owen. Gordon has been axed sadly.

#27607 Reply

Glenn
    Participant

Well that’s bullshit IMO. :angry: I sure as hell won’t be watching Sky News overnight again then. It’ll be Fox or BBC for me now.

#27608 Reply

jonn0boy
    Participant

This is outrageous, how was Michael Watkins picked over Gordon Radley, and I as well as Glenn will be watching Alistair Yates on BBC or the live FOX news.

I am really annoyed, how can they cut the best overnight presenter they have OR will ever have!!!

Gordon Radley please come back and replace the personality – less MW!!!!!!!

#27609 Reply

Glenn
    Participant

And also (with no disrespect to Popplewell or Anjali) why are they doing overnights when they work at the weekends? They might as well get rid of Watkins and put Allan King on instead. <_ <

Meh, I’ll enjoy watching Bill O’Reilly’s no-spin zone. The arguments there are so much more interesting than MW’s boringness. No disrespect to MW but he is too bland for my liking. Radley always found a way to add some humour. Even during the period before the Pope’s death when he was joined by Steve Dixon (at about 3am) he managed to pull out a joke that had Steve is stitches. I know I was laughing. Oh the memories. Gordon buddy, I’m gonna miss you.

#27610 Reply

daved2424
    Participant

How do you know he was sacked? He may of left of his own accord. I don’t know either, but at least find out the truth before making wild and irrational statements.

#27611 Reply

jonn0boy
    Participant

Yes I apologise Daved but I am furious, but I seriously doubt he left of his own accord!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 67 total)
Reply To: Sky News: The Overnights
Your information: