Sky News to rival BBC's Newsnight

Discussion Forums Forums TV Newsroom Sky News to rival BBC's Newsnight

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Steven 11 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

calciofan
    Participant
    #25667 Reply

calciofan
    Participant

BREAKING NEWS: Sky News is understood to be planning a programme to challenge BBC2’s Newsnight in the battle for late-night audiences.

Sky News is thought to have approached “a number of journalists” for the late-night show but has refused to comment on the story. “We are not in a position to announce anything at this stage,” said a spokesman. “Whether any new programme will be seen as an equivalent to Newsnight will really be up to viewers to judge. I can’t really say any more than that.”

An hour-long show of similar ilk, ‘The Boulton Factor’, was a huge success for the station during the recent general election campaign. The host, Sky’s political editor Adam Boulton, would be a strong contender to front the new programme but other presenters, such as Kay Burley, could also be considered.

Source: Scotland on Sunday

What do you think?

#25668 Reply

lakewood
    Participant

I can understand Sky putting up Adam Boulton as a serious contender but Kay burley – Good Grief the woman has an intellectual level of an ant – either the guests will be asked how often they do it per night or or the queen of Sy news will be holding discussion on fashion – particularly hers.

#25669 Reply

HBox
    Participant

That’s very cynical Lakewood. Kay Burley, not your favourite presenter clearly, has had a long career in journalism and broadcasting. So the intellect of this “Sky Queen” is apparently adequate.

However, I agree that Adam Boulton would be a more acceptable choice.

The Sky Queen is more suited to daytime slots I feel, she should be content with her 12:00-14:00 slot.

#25670 Reply

Steven
    Participant

calciofan+Jul 4 2005, 05:10 PM–>(calciofan @ Jul 4 2005, 05:10 PM)
    BREAKING NEWS: Sky News is understood to be planning a programme to challenge BBC2’s Newsnight in the battle for late-night audiences.

Sky News is thought to have approached “a number of journalists” for the late-night show but has refused to comment on the story. “We are not in a position to announce anything at this stage,” said a spokesman. “Whether any new programme will be seen as an equivalent to Newsnight will really be up to viewers to judge. I can’t really say any more than that.”

An hour-long show of similar ilk, ‘The Boulton Factor’, was a huge success for the station during the recent general election campaign. The host, Sky’s political editor Adam Boulton, would be a strong contender to front the new programme but other presenters, such as Kay Burley, could also be considered.

Source: Scotland on Sunday

What do you think?

The problem with this story is that it says (in the original article) that JT is being ear-marked for the 7 pm slot and that Burley is in contention for the ‘Newsnight’ style show. This are 2 facts that would contradict the recent press releases issued by Sky. Thus, bringing into question the veracity of the whole story.

Oh not to mention that they compare the ‘Boulton Factor’ to ‘Newsnight’. Oh how funny.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Reply To: Sky News to rival BBC's Newsnight
Your information:

Add New Topic Login Register