Sky News wields the axe

Forums Forums TV Newsroom Sky News wields the axe

This topic contains 144 replies, has 28 voices, and was last updated by  Johnnie 11 years ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 145 total)
  • Author

Johnnie
    Keymaster
    #30303 Reply

Johnnie
    Keymaster

Media Guardian+–>(Media Guardian)
    Sky News will this week unveil sweeping changes, understood to include job cuts and the axing of underperforming programmes introduced for the network’s relaunch last autumn.

Top of the Sky News hit list is believed to be Sky Report with Julie Etchingham, the hour-long 7pm daily bulletin providing a roundup and analysis of the day’s events.

World News Tonight with James Rubin, which follows the Sky Report at 8pm, is also thought to be under threat.

The Sky Report is well resourced by Sky News’ standards, with around 30 dedicated staff – many recruited from the BBC and ITN – but has failed to boost significantly the channel’s ratings since the relaunch in October.

Etchingham, who is highly regarded by Sky News management, is expected to stay with the broadcaster and other Sky Report staff are thought likely to be redeployed to other areas of the channel’s output.

However, it is understood some jobs will go from Sky Report, among the wider Sky News staff cuts.

Sky News executives are said to have yesterday begun talking to individual staff who may be affected by the cuts, with a formal announcement to all employees about the planned changes expected on Friday.

The presentation to staff is expected to be made by Nick Pollard, the head of Sky News, or possibly the Sky Networks managing director, Dawn Airey.

It was announced last month Mr Pollard was to leave Sky News in September, after more than a decade at the helm of the award-winning channel.

He is to be replaced by the Sky News executive editor, John Ryley, who is about to leave the UK to follow a two-month business and finance course at Wharton University in the US.

#30304 Reply

calciofan
    Participant

I’ve watched quite a few of The Sky Report programmes and there have been some great stories and features, but I think the problem was that it was too long and also at the wrong time.

World News Tonight has also featured some great stories – especially over the last few weeks, but we all know what the problem with that programme is!

They should have created more 30-minute programmes like PMQ and Sportsline. Maybe a Bussiness one and a World News one through the week, and an entertainment one at the weekends would have been good. The weekend Paper Review should also be extended to 30 minutes.

I think an analysis of the day’s stories would have been best placed at about 9pm or 10pm with Jeremy and Julie.

Sunrise, Sky News Today AM, Lunchtime Live, Live at Five, Saturday Live and Sunday Live are all fine.

The presenters need changing for the Sky News Today PM and the overnight coverage is really poor.

The content is also one of the main problems – less entertainment and sport please!!

#30305 Reply

sky.dub
    Participant

I thought the Sky Report was good actually! The timing was bad though. So Ginny and Rubin will be axed? Anna will move to co-presenting with Jeremy again? What else and who else?

Any thoughts on Eamon Holmes?

Hopefully the constant reiteration on Sky News will be dropped like telling us about the email address and most annoyingly telling us about Active every 10 minutes, even when there is a strap telling that.

#30306 Reply

guvnorgaz
    Participant

Where does it say Ginny will be axed?

#30307 Reply

eagleeye
    Participant

Back to only Brit news tabloid stuff then & the likes of Littlejohn? (omg LJ in HD aaaaaaaaaa).
    I liked the Sky Report and Rubin’s programme format, even if he was surprisingly awkward in front of the camera. I like world news….it has to be an integral part of a news channel imo.

Who is losing their job – front of cam or behind?

#30308 Reply

OperaGhost
    Participant

Wonder if Eammon Holmes will go….he’s just not Sky News, you see him and you think “silly man from GMTV.”

Or at least I do….

I prefer the Dixon-Crosby and/or Dixon-Foster pairing as seen on Friday’s and Weekends. Much more refreshing, even if Emma Crosby does speak a bit quietly.

Also, I think there’s a fair mix of showbiz and sport, there’s bound to be a lot of sport because of the world cup, but ShowBiz doesn’t seem very “big.”

#30309 Reply

HOWIE
    Participant

I hope all of the new presenters go apart from Anna Jones, bring back the usual faces Emma & Steve Dixon, Allan & Viv.

#30310 Reply

st1407
    Participant

So, I hope SKY News will come back to more rolling news formats in the evening and 30-minute shows like Sportsline.

I think James Rubin will stay at SKY – but not as an anchor – I think he will be an analyst.
    So, when will we hear more about the changes?

#30311 Reply

OperaGhost
    Participant

Sky News executives are said to have yesterday begun talking to individual staff who may be affected by the cuts, with a formal announcement to all employees about the planned changes expected on Friday.

so from. “breaking news, the world cup has begun” to “breaking news, some of us are going!”

#30312 Reply

HOWIE
    Participant

Who do you think will stay and go ?

#30313 Reply

scottish
    Participant

Media Guardian reporting that David Chater and Richard Bestic are both going to be leaving Sky News in the not too distant future.

#30314 Reply

sky.dub
    Participant

I notice Kay Burley continuing into the 2 o’clock bulletin…is this going to be long term?

#30315 Reply

Johnnie
    Keymaster

sky.dub wrote:I notice Kay Burley continuing into the 2 o’clock bulletin…is this going to be long term?

Brilliant! So great to see Mark and Kay together again and it seems pretty strange to see Kay Burley sat behind the desk..

#30316 Reply

jk80
    Participant

OperaGhost wrote:Wonder if Eammon Holmes will go….he’s just not Sky News, you see him and you think “silly man from GMTV.”

Or at least I do….

I agree, it’s hard to take him seriously as a news man when he’s wisecracking through the news one minute and presenting Lotto quiz shows etc the next.

There are other things that undermine SN as a serious news channel, things like too much sport, weather and sometimes too much entertainment and adverts, which always make me turn over.

The excessive branding can also be a problem. There are a lot of “This is Sky News”, “Coming up on Sky News”, “The top stories on Sky News”, although I understand why they have to do this and maybe the BBC do it too and I just don’t notice as much.

Sky spent a lot of money on unnecessary things like a fancy set, better graphics, having three presenters rather than two (or one!) etc when these are not the things that make people choose a news channel, in my view.

#30317 Reply

SSLuke
    Participant

Johnnie wrote:(sky.dub @ Jun 7 2006, 02:08 PM) [snapback]14911[/snapback]

I notice Kay Burley continuing into the 2 o’clock bulletin…is this going to be long term?

Brilliant! So great to see Mark and Kay together again and it seems pretty strange to see Kay Burley sat behind the desk..

i agree – they were a good pairing before the relaunch – and the show has improved ten fold now it doesn’t have the amateurish Ginny Buckley presenting it. She may be a nice woman but she just isn’t it cut out for the job, simple as that.

Talking about the changes – it has now been confirmed that Richard Bestic is one of the 17 employees to be axed as part of the cuts.

#30318 Reply

st1407
    Participant

Who said that Bestic is going to leave?

I think also that Ginny Buckley, Eamonn Holmes and a lot of freelancers will leave the network. I think they’ll find a way to cut Eamonn – talks, talks, talks, talks.

But, I have to say: SKY News is not so good anymore – but you also have to watch German news channels. n-tv, the former leading newschannel in Germany, is terrible.

Here the evening schedule:
    8 pm News
    8.10 Documentary
    9 pm News (called also “The day” – so a main news programme 15 minutes!!!!!??????
    915 business
    930 Documentary
    10 News
    1005 Talk

….. The same at Saturday and Sunday (beginning at 12 pm – 5 minutes of news, and then old documentaries, repeated the 10th time. Terrible.

#30319 Reply

Johnnie
    Keymaster

It’s understood that, Ginny Buckley, Juliette Foster, Jenny Percival, Nicola Hill and Eve Richings have been axed.

World News Tonight has been axed

#30320 Reply

HOWIE
    Participant

OMG huge shock here if all the familiar faces are getting axed is this the end for Sky News ?

#30321 Reply

HOWIE
    Participant

When will these changes be made to Sky News, who else is in the firing line for getting axed ?

#30322 Reply

st1407
    Participant

I read that the changes will be effective on July 10th.

Also a new schedule is written.
    So, Martin Stanford will anchor the evenings beginning at 8 pm. Joined by Gillian Joseph. Chris Roberts will anchor SKY News AM.

#30323 Reply

dirkyt
    Participant

I am shocked and saddened at some of the departures.
    Is this news confirmed Johnnie?

#30324 Reply

HOWIE
    Participant

Whats the new schedule going to be like, and can we have a written list in who’s staying and going please.

#30325 Reply

crazyfj
    Participant

HOWIE wrote:Whats the new schedule going to be like, and can we have a written list in who’s staying and going please.

sky digi online has the new line up:-

http://media247.co.uk/skydigital/newsarchi…ws_announ_1.php

they appeared to have axed Juliette Foster!!!

#30326 Reply

HOWIE
    Participant

I think the new schedule could be alot better like, what about the weekend schedule is that still to be confirmed.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 145 total)
Reply To: Sky News wields the axe
Your information:

Add New Topic Login Register