Sky News wins best news channel

Forums Forums TV Newsroom Sky News wins best news channel

This topic contains 14 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Lone 10 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

irxin
    Participant
    #34867 Reply

irxin
    Participant

I only accidently bumped into this, dated 7th June. how come sky have not bothered to mention it – that I have noticed … very well deserved.

Sky News wins Best News Channel

Issued: June 7, 2007

Sky News was named Best News Channel at last night?s Broadcast Digital Awards, beating off several international broadcasters including Al Jazeera English.

The judges commended Sky News saying: ?Sky is generally about two minutes ahead of BBC News 24. It is an excellent channel ? first to the spot every time a story breaks.? Clearly impressed, the judges added: ?It engages a wider audience than the BBC.?

Head of Sky News John Ryley, who picked up the award at the ceremony in London, said it was ?a tribute to our hard work, energy and imagination.?

Sky News demonstrated its strengths through coverage of the two defining stories of the year ? one home, one foreign. The foreign story was the Israel-Hezbollah war, during which Sky News presented live from Northern Israel, Jerusalem and Beirut for 18 hours a day. This led to a series of firsts ? Sky News was first to report the secret chat between Tony Blair and George Bush at the St Petersburg summit and, live in vision, first to report and first to cross the border.

When shortly before Christmas five women were murdered in Suffolk, Sky was the first broadcaster to report the discovery of the second and fourth bodies and was the first to report the arrest of and to name suspect Steve Wright.

The relentless ability of Sky?s Crime Correspondent to break lines ahead of his rivals was such that, on the morning that Steve Wright appeared in court charged with the murders, a police press officer advised a newspaper reporter to, ?Call Martin Brunt. He knows everything before we do?.

Sky News also took the lead on many other stories during the year. It broke almost every key line in the cash for peerages investigation, including the arrest of Lord Levy and was ahead of other media with the news that the police and security services had foiled a plot to blow up airliners mid flight last August.

Last night?s award follows the success at the RTS Awards in March where Sky News also won News Channel of the Year.

Ends

#34868 Reply

vicky23
    Participant

Well done Sky News

#34869 Reply

Lone
    Participant

Any link?

#34870 Reply

irxin
    Participant

Lone wrote:Any link?

http://www.skypressoffice.co.uk/SkyNews … sp?id=2220

#34871 Reply

Lone
    Participant

irxin wrote:

Thanks, but are there any neutral and unbiased sources of this anywhere?

#34872 Reply

thegraphic
    Participant

Lone wrote:

irxin wrote:

Thanks, but are there any neutral and unbiased sources of this anywhere?

Lone why do you post here. If you odn’t like sky news, go and post in the BBC section.

#34873 Reply

Lone
    Participant

thegraphic wrote:
    Lone why do you post here. If you odn’t like sky news, go and post in the BBC section.

What has this got to do with me inquiring if there is a third party source link to this story?

#34874 Reply

SSLuke
    Participant

who cares about all these industry awards? They mean diddly squat to the viewer – and the fact is that BBC N24 is well ahead in ratings, where it matters.

#34875 Reply

irxin
    Participant

I am inclined to agree with "thegraphic" if you do not like Sky you neither need to watch it or come here and comment.

Sky news does not cost us one single penny to watch, news24 costs us ?131 per year. I feel that an organisation that forces me to pay for output is open to all the criticism it gets, and usually deserves.

#34876 Reply

irxin
    Participant

Sorry no idea how it got in as a new topic, could the mods move it for me please to the digatal awards

#34877 Reply

Lone
    Participant

SSLuke wrote:who cares about all these industry awards? They mean diddly squat to the viewer – and the fact is that BBC N24 is well ahead in ratings, where it matters.

True, but I wish N24 would stop with all the ‘Most viewed news channel in Britain’ (or something along those lines) that they’ve been doing for some time now.

Also, for me personally viewing figures actually matter very little, I percieve neutrality & impartiality to be far more important, which is why I probably spend more time watching Euronews more then BBC N24 and Sky News put together.

#34878 Reply

Lone
    Participant

irxin wrote:Sky news does not cost us one single penny to watch

This is due to change very soon:

Freeview to lose Sky News, Sky One & Sky Sports News

#34879 Reply

irxin
    Participant

It is a shame that they are coming off Freeview, although I have seen a article somewhere that Ofcom are looking at that.

I think they should stay as they like plurality in news supply and that would only leave news24 on freeview.

regards the comment that Sky news will not be free, I watch it quite a lot at my Club who have Freesat, despite the Beeboids opinion the ?150 set up is often cheaper than an aerial upgrade to get the inferior Freeview.

#34880 Reply

Lone
    Participant

Considering very soon Sky News won’t be ‘free’, the bill payer in my household is paying ?216+ for the privelage to have Sky, so in comparison the ?130 or so for the LF is much less to worry about.

Also, slightly off-topic but still relevant:

Freeview tops Sky

Murdoch’s satellite monopoly is coming to an end.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
Reply To: Sky News wins best news channel
Your information: