BBC Newsnight names Allegra Stratton new Political Editor

BBC Newsnight PE

BBC Newsnight has announced Allegra Stratton will be joining the programme as Political Editor, following the departure of [[Michael Crick]].

Currently the Guardian’s political correspondent, Allegra is no stranger to the BBC or Newsnight. Before joining the Guardian she was a producer for the programme as well as working on Andrew Marr’s talk show on BBC Four and This Week.

“It’s a privilege to be returning to Newsnight,” said Allegra.

“It is a great programme with an important role in stimulating political debate, especially at such a turbulent time both here and abroad. I’m very sad, though, to be leaving The Guardian. I’m proud to have worked there and have benefited immensely from the wisdom, kindness and good humour of my colleagues.”

Peter Rippon, Newsnight Editor added: “I am delighted to be able to welcome such a talented journalist as Allegra to the team. The Newsnight Political Editor is a cornerstone of the programme and Allegra’s appointment is crucial to our continuing success. Our audiences expect us to hold Westminster to account and to bring them the inside stories and with Allegra’s experience I have every confidence she will be able to fulfil their expectations.”

Allegra’s start date will be announced in shortly.

Posted by on Wednesday 23 November 2011
Posted in
Bernard Ponsonby retires from STV

STV’s special correspondent Bernard Ponsonby has announced he is retiring from the channel after 34 years in the industry. He

Darren McCaffrey Images

Darren McCaffrey is making a return to Sky News. He left the organisation in 2018 to join Euronews before moving

Gillian Anderson as Emily Maitlis on Scoop

Scoop is a film based on the true events leading up to Prince Andrew’s explosive 2019 BBC Newsnight interview. The

Copy link