Sophie Raworth to present the One O’clock News

Sophie Raworth is to become the new face of the BBC’s lunchtime bulletin when Anna Ford steps down in April, the corporation has announced today.

Sophie has presented both Breakfast and the Six O’clock News for the BBC. After over 5 years on the BBC’s early morning news programme, she moved to the BBC’s most watched news bulletin, the Six O’clock News, in January 2003 – a bulletin she has presented with George Alagiah ever since. She has also presented coverage of a number of news events including the marriage of Prince Charles to Camilla Parker-Bowles in April 2005.

Sophie, who is currently on maternity leave and being replaced by Natasha Kaplinsky for this period, said “I am thrilled to be taking on such a prominent role.

“In news terms, the One O’Clock sits in the middle of an incredibly busy part of the day, but I’m really looking forward to the challenge.

“Clearly, Anna will be a hard act to follow, but it’s a wonderful opportunity – a prestigious new job and I still get to be home every afternoon for my children!”

Anna Ford, who currently presents the One O’clock News, said “In my opinion, this is the best slot in BBC News. Sophie couldn’t have done better than to be moving to the One O’Clock News.

“We have a regular audience of up to three million, with over 40 per cent share of available audience which, frankly, other programmes would give their eye teeth for.

“It’s a great team to work with and we achieve a phenomenal amount in a short time, I’ve never enjoyed my work more.

“I’m sure Sophie

Posted by on Wednesday 15 February 2006
Posted in
Gillian Anderson as Emily Maitlis on Scoop

Scoop is a film based on the true events leading up to Prince Andrew’s explosive 2019 BBC Newsnight interview. The

BBC News Slides 2024

The BBC News Channel have started using news slides for their brief “across the UK and around the world” segments.

Missing Thumbnail

North West Today presenter Katie Walderman has posted a TikTok of BBC NWT’s temporary news set. Say goodbye to the