Sir Alex Ferguson Retires: Football Focus Special (BBC One, 10.35pm)

Sir Alex Ferguson

The BBC will broadcast a special edition of Football Focus this evening, following the news that Sir Alex Ferguson’s will retire at the end of the football season.

“The decision to retire is one that I have thought a great deal about and one that I have not taken lightly. It is the right time,” said the 71-year old Scot.

“It was important to me to leave an organisation in the strongest possible shape and I believe I have done so. The quality of this league winning squad, and the balance of ages within it, bodes well for continued success at the highest level whilst the structure of the youth set-up will ensure that the long-term future of the club remains a bright one.

“Going forward, I am delighted to take on the roles of both Director and Ambassador for the club. With these activities, along with my many other interests, I am looking forward to the future.”

Dan Walker will joined by Robbie Savage, Dion Dublin and Steve McClaren with contributions from Alan Shearer, Alan Hansen and Michael Owen.

Fergie Time is on BBC One and BBC One HD from 10.35pm.

Posted by on Wednesday 8 May 2013
NFL Logo

Peacock will be the exclusive home of the NFL’s first-ever regular-season game in Brazil. It will take place in week

England Channe

Channel 4 will broadcast live International football this evening. England host Belgium in a friendly at Wembley Stadium, as Gareth

England on Channel  e

Channel 4 will broadcast the International friendly between England and Brazil this evening. The match will take place at Wembley

Copy link