Spelling mistakes

Discussion Forums Forums TV Newsroom Spelling mistakes

This topic contains 9 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Hullo 11 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

guvnorgaz
    Participant
    #27004 Reply

guvnorgaz
    Participant

Has anyone else noticed the balls ups in the spelling department in the sports reports?I noticed it on SSN but they are now cropping up on Sky News,for instance they did the tennis score for the final this morning and spelt Andy Murray’s name as Murry

#27005 Reply

sammy
    Participant

must’ve bin ‘cos it was too good to hurry mint lol

cant believe how quite these boards have become !

#27006 Reply

Forum Member
    Participant

sammy+Oct 2 2005, 03:49 PM–>(sammy @ Oct 2 2005, 03:49 PM)
    cant believe how “quite” these boards have become !

A deliberate spelling mistake?

#27007 Reply

derek500
    Participant

Yesterday I saw ‘recieve’ on a strap.

A couple of weeks ago there was ‘predjudice’

#27008 Reply

Hullo
    Participant

I have been thinking of posting on this point for a while, I was waiting for a real howler. The other morning I noticed they had “David Davies” (the Kinks guitarist?).

What bothers me even more is the weirdness of pronunciation you sometimes get. Poor ole Emma is the champion, of course: she always says “Nikkei” as if it’s German, but she has recently pronounced Danube as D’nube and Kabul as K’bool… even when introducing packages or interviews with people who pronounce them properly. But all presenters seem to approach pronunciation on an every-man-for-himself basis. A case in point recently has been Jean-Charles de Menezes: the “Charles”, in particular, sometimes came out in French, sometimes in English and only rarely in Portuguese… which seems to be two syllables (Char-l?s).

For a broadcast medium, consistency in pronunciation is surely as important as coherent spelling in a print medium. Why can’t Sky have some sort of database for the pronunciation of foreign names. It could then feed phonetic transcriptions into the scripts. Poor old Emma might still h ave problems, but most of the others would probably manage.

Incidentally, a couple of years ago Martin Stanford had to read a bit of business news in which he had to say the name of a major French building and communications conglomerate, Bouygues. He made a right balls-up, saying something like “Boogies” instead of the way it actually is pronounced, “BWEEG”. It ought to be familiar to Sky: not only is it the operator of one of France’s three cellphone networks, it is also the owner of TF1, the leading French TV channel. I sent an e-mail in case he had to read it again, and within a frw minutes he had fired off the following reply:

“Thanks for your note: I had rehearsed the word – then flunked it on air!
    Next time round our Biz Editor Mike Wilson will be handling the subject and
    I’m sure he’ll make a much better job of it.”

He did!

#27009 Reply

derek500
    Participant

Another today:- Traveling (OK in US, not in UK)

#27010 Reply

Hullo
    Participant

“Double jeapordy”

Whoops.

#27011 Reply

sky_news_nut
    Participant

Great one just last week during the Fire Fighters’ strike in the West Mids:

“Fire Brigade Union want members to be compenstated for extra travel expenses”

Compenstated eh? Wooops!

#27012 Reply

Hullo
    Participant

“Liaison (awkward word, but correct) comittee (oh dear)”

Can’t they be a BIT more careful?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Reply To: Spelling mistakes
Your information:

Add New Topic Login Register