The modern 'claims' culture

Discussion Forums Forums TV Newsroom The modern 'claims' culture

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Mr Byrne 12 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Seamus
    Participant
    #23571 Reply

Seamus
    Participant

I am so sick of the restrictions imposed on every single aspect of our lives because of nannyish legislation. New building regulations are the typical and most widly-felt example. It has spawned from a USA litigation culture that has slowly infiltrated our own society.

BUT, the parasites that feed off, and therefore perpetuate this sickening trend, creating further restrictions as every employer and council in the land tries to protect him/itself, are the nasty little law firms that have very little success in other fields so solicit work with the infamous ”no win, no fee” line. They even advertise in hospital waiting rooms, that patients might sue the people trying so hard to help them if everything doesn’t go according to plan. It is nothing short of malicious in spirit.

Yet SKY NEWS hosts the cheap and nasty advertising campaigns, increasingly aggressive in tone, desperate for custom. What most people do not know is that if they DO win, then the law firm hands them a bill which will absorb most of the damages awarded and sometimes even exceed them.

These are nasty, parasitic practises and have an horrific knock-on effect for our wider society. Just wait until the next time you need to do work on your house, then you’ll know what I’m getting at as you trip over the red-tape and break your ankle!!

Your thoughts, please…………?

#23572 Reply

NEWSBOY2
    Participant

Complain to the advertising department, can’t see what Sky News is suppose to do?

#23573 Reply

Seamus
    Participant

This is a forum to discuss the SKY NEWS channel, is it not? Surely SKY NEWS controls what is advertised on the SKY NEWS channel, and therefore my comments have a place in this forum?

#23574 Reply

Skybaby
    Participant

I’d imagine that what gets advertised on Sky News is entirely up to the BSkyB marketing/advertising department. Probably the only thing the channel itself would have any say over is their own promos.

The so-called ‘blame culture’ is one of the reasons I have a sign in the back of my car that says “SH*T HAPPENS”. It’s one of those things that has me wondering where people’s common sense has got to these days. Maybe they’re hoping for a Stella Award?

#23575 Reply

AJ
    Participant

The advertising output on Sky News has nothing to do with Sky News as a channel – it’s up to the advertising dept. of BSkyB.

At the end of the day, if advertisers are willing to pay the money to advertise on Sky News, then the adverts will be run on Sky News – regardless of what the adverts are for.

It’s as simple as that.

#23576 Reply

Mr Byrne
    Participant

At the end of the day, if advertisers are willing to pay the money to advertise on Sky News, then the adverts will be run on Sky News – regardless of what the adverts are for.

It’s as simple as that.

I think I’ll hold you to that. *Terms and conditions apply.

However, I hate those advertisements for charities that get put up during eating hours, particularly breakfast and lunch, the two times that I mainly do watch Sky News. Its sickening to see babies with flies coming out of their eyes when your trying to eat some toast and knock down some coffee, advertisements like that force me to switch away from Sky, because its mainly Sky News that show them! – (over here anyway). common sense tells you that at seven o clock in the morning when Sky News Sunrise is on, a lot of people tend to be eating their breakfast.- WHY DO THEY DO IT?!?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Reply To: The modern 'claims' culture
Your information:

Add New Topic Login Register