Tim Marshall & Ian Woods In Iraq

Discussion Forums Forums TV Newsroom Tim Marshall & Ian Woods In Iraq

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Steven 12 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

kev667
    Participant
    #23206 Reply

kev667
    Participant

http://media.guardian.co.uk/broadcast/stor…1392521,00.html

Sky does not keep a permanent team in Iraq, but uses locally employed staff. But for the election it is sending two teams, one to Baghdad headed by Tim Marshall, the foreign affairs correspondent, and one to Basra headed by the US correspondent, Ian Woods, as part of Britain’s broadcasting pool.

For the BBC, veteran conflict correspondent John Simpson will be broadcasting from Baghdad with Caroline Hawley and Paul Wood, with Ed Stourton reporting for BBC radio.
    Ben Brown will be in Basra reporting for BBC TV, with Christian Fraser and Peter Grant reporting for BBC radio. And Jim Muir will report from Kurdistan with Quil Lawrence of WGBH radio.

http://media.guardian.co.uk/broadcast/stor…1392521,00.html

#23207 Reply

kev667
    Participant

Well – so, they are reluctantly sending some people.. the man who can really explain things for us – David Chater – isn’t announced as going. No surprise really but it would improve the coverage 100%.

It’ll be interesting to know which other reporters are going along with the correspondents.

I’m a little concerned that they can only cover two cities. ..not that the green zone is a city.. I get the feeling the newsworthy stuff – which will be violence unfortunately – will happen everywhere that SkyNews isn’t at. Will they just be ‘blind’ to what’s going on elsewhere? ..while the Beeb and CNN get all the exclusives?

…and if they have to fill hours of TV with things like Busted splitting and which actor gets which backslapping award, while important things like this is going on… I’ll be very annoyed! ..I am already really.

#23208 Reply

kev667
    Participant

I suppose I should say something about Sky’s Iraq coverage, as I did criticise it before it had happened..

It turned out to be quite good, I felt.. they had Fox correspondents on hand to chat to in the north and in Baghad – Ian Woods seemed to be really enjoying his work and I was impressed with his reports. Good stuff! Tim did well enough – coping with the time delay on the satellites.. and getting good interviews.

They did lack an authoritative package from the streets of baghdad though, having Tim do the voiceover on Jim’s footage was ok – but if Simpson on the Beeb can get the security to have a walk around, surely a heavyweight foreign correpondent for Sky could have..?

Anyone else think he may have engineered that ‘shooting’ incident on his news at ten package? ?? I’m a sceptic, sorry!

Always nice to hear from Francis Tusa too.. shame the subject matter is always so depressing. Roll on full & real elections, not under occupation.

#23209 Reply

ABFan
    Participant

Hi guys
    Now that the first Iraqui Elections have passed can someone please fill me in on the steps, dates and processes between now and the 2nd election on December 15th (writing A new Connstitution having it ratified etc, I know Tim Marshall went through it on Sunday but I only caught a quick glimpse and I’d like to mark important dates throughout the year on my calendar, especially as we’re in historic times.

#23210 Reply

Steven
    Participant

I’m affraid that I can’t be as up beat as Kev on Sky News’ coverage. The individual performances were great. The overall effort, I felt, was poor. As Kev says they really ought to have had somebody on the streets of Baghdad. It would have been good to have somebody elsewhere in Iraq also. But Woodsy’s reporting was good out of Basra and I thought Tim Marshall did a reasonable job from his cosey position in Baghdad.
    Fox really went to town on their coverage, for fairly obvious reasons.
    CNN was where I was at on Sunday though; five correspondents in Iraq. Top notch correspondents at that. Isn’t Anderson Cooper just great?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: Tim Marshall & Ian Woods In Iraq
Your information:

Add New Topic Login Register