Top marks to Sky News

Forums Forums TV Newsroom Top marks to Sky News

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  DDP 13 years ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

rob237
    Participant
    #19388 Reply

rob237
    Participant

As CBS began to show the gruesome video of Bigley’s last moments [which, understandably, Sky News have obviously decreed not to screen] a quick disconnection of the feed and a rapid summary of the Sky headlines followed.

Top marks to the on duty production team.

#19389 Reply

DDP
    Participant

But it’s okay to show film of any of the Americans who have also gone out the same way? <_ <
    It’s either a case of SKY realising that Jamaat al-Tawhid wa’l-Jihad have been using them as pretty much a mouthpiece for terror for the past year, or it’s one rule for Brits and another rule for anyone else :rolleyes:

#19390 Reply

Forum Member
    Participant

I don’t think Sky has ever shown any decapitations of anyone. I think you’re missing something here, DDP.

#19391 Reply

DDP
    Participant

:huh: Neither has CBS, or any western network. The newsfeed isn’t live anyway.
    But it’s this whole not wanting to offend anyone crap that ticks me off. Not showing any of the the Bigley video, yet showing stuff all the way back to Nick Berg. I’m simply saying there is a huge double standard.

Trust me, I have absolutely no desire to see anyone be decapitated or any of the tape at all.

#19392 Reply

eagleeye
    Participant

nor do I. There’s always been a massive double standards thing in western , first world news. If the corpses are African, it seems OK to show pretty much anything (remember Rwanda)…alternatively the story doesn’t even get reported (DRC).

I’ve read of reporters having to keep moving their cameras so as not to get too gruesome a shot (sic: sorry) in vision for squeamish British viewers. It’s a fine line, and I know it’s a tough call for the news eds, but I agree with you if you mean you hate sanitisation. [The UK media tend to disagree with you if you accuse them of that btw]

#19393 Reply

DDP
    Participant

It’s not as much sanitisation, it’s the non-british versus British issue. They show non-British coalition casualties in Iraq, yet don’t show British caualties.

It’s a weird issue. Seeing dead Iraqis doesn’t really bother me at all, but it does p*ss me off seeing coalition casualties and just makes me angry more than anything. Though that be due to having friends and contacts downrange.

I guess I suffer from a double standard as well, but then I guess you are always protective of the family. But unlike the media, I don’t have to be objective….

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Reply To: Top marks to Sky News
Your information: