tv card captures

Forums Forums TV Newsroom tv card captures

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  daved2424 11 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Musey
    Participant
    #29326 Reply

Musey
    Participant

i’ve got a compro digital tv card, and it’s all good. except one thing, whenever i take a screenshot it squashes the picture from 16.9 widescreen to 4.3. i can stretch it back manually if i need to, but i was just wondering why it does this cus it’s slightly annoying. and i’ve noticed on this ite and others that some people’s screencaps are like this too.

so is it just compro cards? and is there a way to change it?

thanks.

#29327 Reply

daved2424
    Participant

Probably because 16:9 is just 4:3 but squashed.

#29328 Reply

phaedrusuk
    Participant

16:9 is also known as anamorphic I believe – and is NOT 4:3 – it would be 16:12 !!! It is not squashed – it is widescreen format.

I get a similar problem on my Hauppauge TV card: some, but not all anamorphic 16:9 broadcasts confuse the display software and it tries to stretch and fit into 4:3 – but the MPEG recording is fine – and it I show in a maximised window it is also OK. It is only full-screen that behaves strangely. And some other 16:9 true widescrenn broadcasts are fine ; it is as though there are 2 subtly different 16:9 broadcast formats that cannot always be handled properly.
    I think also that your actual display screen properties/resolution may affect it.

Some suggestions:
    – try playing with your screen resolution – e.g. 800×600, 1024×768, 1248×1024, etc. This might help.
    – try screenshot captures with different window sizes/resolution when you do the screen capture.
    – if you can record MPEG/AVI video, this may record at the correct format/resolution for you. If that is OK, then use a 3rd-party program (e.g. VLC Videolan) to generate a screen shot from the recording at the correct format.

Hope that helps or gives a clue,
    Cheers, Phae.

#29329 Reply

daved2424
    Participant

phaedrusuk wrote:16:9 is also known as anamorphic I believe – and is NOT 4:3 – it would be 16:12 !!! It is not squashed – it is widescreen format.

No you missunderstand me. The 16:9 picture is squashed to 4:3 and follows a 4:3 signal path. At the receiver it is ‘unsquashed’ to give you your 16:9 picture.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Reply To: tv card captures
Your information: