Two knives on a passenger plane?

Forums Forums TV Newsroom Two knives on a passenger plane?

This topic contains 9 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  airlink1 13 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Tanya
    Participant
    #13993 Reply

Tanya
    Participant

The low-cost airline easyJet really showed us, how poor their security is. Sky reporter Juliet Errington managed to check into the airport ( flight from Geneva to London ) with two knives in her hand bag with no problems. No security checked her bag after passing passport control. I know that easyJet is the low-cost airline, but still ….no security???

Tanya

#13994 Reply

Johnnie
    Keymaster

This is a great story. I cannot believe that this has happened.

Not only did Juliet take these knives onto the plane, But she actually got them out in the cabin.

Juliet was a arms reach away from creating mid air HELL.

There are more pictures here

The flight was on Monday 23rd February and although it’s all over now and Juliet didn’t get caught.

It makes you wonder what if they did get caught?

Would the flight had been grounded as soon as possible? or could Juliet say I’m a news reporter and I’m just do a little Exercise to see if i could get a knife onto a aircraft and that be the end of it?

It would be nice to hear what Sky’s backup plan was if all did go wrong.

We hear from time to time about Aeroplanes being divided or grounded and this could have been the case if Juliet was caught.

What if a passenger had spotted her, Passengers would have been attacking her for the knife.

I’m not saying what Juliet or Sky done was wrong because it isn’t I think it was a Brilliant sting, carried out by a brilliant reporter and it came across screen as a brilliant piece of work.

But what if ??

#13995 Reply

SimUK
    Participant

I always wonder if this sort of thing is a good idea – always want to say “lock them away!” when I hear of journalists breaching security (like breaking in to the air-side area of an airport and getting in the cockpit like a national paper did recently), but having said that I think Sky News might have just played it on the safe side here, as the security checks should have stopped it being possible. Do wonder what would happen if caught though – what if an air marshal had of been on there and shot her? Or if it’d have caused a real alert with massive knock on effects – surely ultimately Sky News would be liable?

Great story and piece of exclusive footage, and I hope it causes some changes for the better with the air industry, but “hmm” it could have all gone oh so wrong. Imagine not knowing who she is, seeing her on the plane holding up two knives…! Good intentions and totally safe or not, I’d be “something” bricks…!

#13996 Reply

MelbourneTV
    Participant

I would have thought the UK’s security would have been tighter than that!

Current Affairs programs here, Today Tonight and A Current Affair, have both smuggled banned items on board numerous times since September 11. Really quite pathetic.

Thankfully security has been tightened at Australian airports, particuarly after last year’s attempted hijacking on a Qantas flight from Melbourne to Launceston. A man ran up the aisle and tried smashing the door down, before being wrestled by the crew. The man fought back and stabbed them, 5 people were seriously hurt.

There were 2 copy cat incidents after that, but thankfully no one was injured.

#13997 Reply

ST34
    Participant

Going back to the first post in this thread, it is not the responsibility of the airlines to ensure the passengers are not carrying potentially dangerous items in their luggage. Easyjet cannot be held accountable for this incident.

I move about a lot and UK security is inconsistent.

Unfortunately from my location is the worst I have ever experienced, I think Littlejohn would say “you couldn’t make it up” (or something!!!)

#13998 Reply

Steven
    Participant

This is the first time that I have posted since the revamp to this site, because this is the first time that I’ve seen a post that has spurred me on.

Can I firstly echo some previous points:

Easyjet is not responsible for this! There was an Easyjet spokesperson featured in the report who, to my recolection, aired his dissapointment.

I have travelled between England and Belfast 4 times within the last 6 months and didn’t find this report in any way surprising. In fact, I found the security tighter at the Egyptian Museum than at any of the 4 british airports I have used recently.

It is with regret, that I have to say I think Sky News have acted extremely irresponsibly – again I refer you to previous posts on this topic.

Lastly, but by no means least, can we discuss what we should really be talking about in this particular forum. For some reason, I can’t quite put my finger on exactly what, I didn’t like this story. It’s the old question: Should journalists report the news or are they creating it? From what I saw Sky carried this as their main story for most of the evening – was that really the case? Was it justifiably the top story? The whole thing leaves me dissapointed with Sky News, and it is without any pleasure that I make that statement.

#13999 Reply

Stevo
    Participant

Yeah, you’re right Steven (in a way). Without the Sky News journalist creating the story, there wouldn’t actually be a story in the first place! So it wasn’t straightforward news reporting as such. However, if doing this sort of ‘exposing lax security’ thing can bring to the authorities attention that security needs to be stepped up on some UK airlines, then it was right to do. As it can only benefit the safety of future passengers using these airlines (and UK airports generally) in the long run. – Providing that the relevant people in charge take heed of the report and improve the things that they are responsible for, to try and stop people boarding planes with knives in their hand luggage that is!

It was an embarrassing report for EasyJet, so of course they would be disappointed. (Two knives held openly by a passenger so close to the cockpit? You bet!) But I do not criticise this sort of journalism, it was a legitimate way of investigating security measures on UK airlines. Which a lot of people assume to be very tight following the events of 9/11. Juliet Errington’s report proved that it wasn’t! Sometimes things like that need to be highlighted. Will the report actually lead to increased security on EasyJet flights? I don’t know, but I’d like to think that it would.

I don’t know if it deserved to be the top story for most of the day either. But Sky News must have thought so, as it’s what they led with for quite a while yesterday. I did think it was a good story though.

#14000 Reply

Forum Member
    Participant

What a brilliant story.

” Shock Horror, Sky Reporter Discovers that Humans are Flawed”

The station is on to a winner here. Could it be that the result of helping to fine tune boarding procedures will eventually lead to all passengers undergoing a full strip search and having their luggage gone through with a fine tooth comb and dog patrol? All we need now is a Sky reporter with the balls to actually hijack a plane to prove that the easy part of getting a knife onto aplane wasn’t just a fluke! How far are we going to take our “security”? To the point that we never leave home?

Reporters and News stations have a commercial agenda and would find a story in Worzel Gumidges underpants should an empty column inch demand it, never forget it. :ph34r:

#14001 Reply

airlink1
    Participant

Interesting that emphasis is on security procedures to prevent passengers taking knives etc on board. Having flown Business Class/First Class most of my time, wonder why they still serve meals in those sections with steel utensils, or, do we assume that all potential terriorist fly economy !

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Reply To: Two knives on a passenger plane?
Your information: