U.S. Elections

Discussion Forums Forums TV Newsroom U.S. Elections

This topic contains 46 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by  Skybaby 12 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 47 total)
  • Author

Johnnie
    Keymaster
    #18209 Reply

Johnnie
    Keymaster

On Monday 26th July 2004 Sky will be reporting on the Democratic Convention.
    Use this thread to discuss Sky’s News coverage.

Ian Woods has been reporting on the Election so far
    Alex Rossi and Andrew Wilson are also in the U.S

#18210 Reply

carjacbar
    Participant

If Andrew Wilson’s talking, I’ll be watching.

#18211 Reply

st1407
    Participant

Are there any special shows like CNN has? Or are there just segments in the news?
    I hope we’ll see some pictures of the coverage!

#18212 Reply

Johnnie
    Keymaster

Sky News have released plans of their coverage of the US presidential election battle.

Political Editor Adam Boulton looks at the Republican and Democratic parties: who they are, what they stand for, why people vote for them and their prospects of winning. He will be profiling the Presidential nominees and their running mates. Following the election, Adam will be presenting a special programme reflecting on the results and the implications for the rest of the world.

Sunday 24 October: Sunday With Adam Boulton: Democratic America

Sunday 31 October: Sunday With Adam Boulton: Republican America

Sunday 07 November: Sunday With Adam Boulton: Election Special

US Correspondent Andrew Wilson will be travelling across America to investigate issues concerning the voters.

Monday 25 October: Oregon – Energy, Economy, Conservation

Tuesday 26 October: South Carolina – War in Iraq

Wednesday 27 October: Arizona – Immigration, Homeland Security

Thursday 28 October: Oklahoma – Religion, the Right, the ?Bible Belt?

Friday 29 October: New York – Ground Zero, the Patriot Act

Saturday 30 October: Jeremy Thompson will be in Florida over the weekend, in the run-up to the election.

Tuesday 2 November: The Sky News team will provide live coverage of the election. Anchors Jeremy Thompson and Julie Etchingham will be supported by the Sky News Washington Bureau and live updates from Adam Boulton.

#18213 Reply

tim1
    Participant

Sky News have released plans of their coverage of the US presidential election battle.

Political Editor Adam Boulton looks at the Republican and Democratic parties: who they are, what they stand for, why people vote for them and their prospects of winning. He will be profiling the Presidential nominees and their running mates. Following the election, Adam will be presenting a special programme reflecting on the results and the implications for the rest of the world.

Sunday 24 October: Sunday With Adam Boulton: Democratic America

Sunday 31 October: Sunday With Adam Boulton: Republican America

Sunday 07 November: Sunday With Adam Boulton: Election Special

US Correspondent Andrew Wilson will be travelling across America to investigate issues concerning the voters.

Monday 25 October: Oregon – Energy, Economy, Conservation

Tuesday 26 October: South Carolina – War in Iraq

Wednesday 27 October: Arizona – Immigration, Homeland Security

Thursday 28 October: Oklahoma – Religion, the Right, the ?Bible Belt?

Friday 29 October: New York – Ground Zero, the Patriot Act

Saturday 30 October: Jeremy Thompson will be in Florida over the weekend, in the run-up to the election.

Tuesday 2 November: The Sky News team will provide live coverage of the election. Anchors Jeremy Thompson and Julie Etchingham will be supported by the Sky News Washington Bureau and live updates from Adam Boulton.

Johnnie, mate – I have some advice.

The head of the ITV News Channel is some bloke called Dominic Crossley-Holland and the head of BBC News 24 is Roger Mosey – I think you should send them an invoice for services rendered!

If they ever wanted to know what the competition had planned, all they need do is check this website. You should start charging them for providing all this information.

The news planning desks at the BBC and ITV news must love you!

#18214 Reply

Johnnie
    Keymaster

or they could go to the Sky Publicity Website and get the info from there… Just like i did.

Maybe Dominic and Roger may surprise me with some good coverage of the U.S Elections then….? Doubt it..

#18215 Reply

tim1
    Participant

Johnnie,

Between you and me, I don’t think the Beeb or ITV would…though would love to know what they’ve planned. No doubt the Beeb are going to throw a squadron of staff at the story.

I make this release a 10-0 own goal from Sky Publicity.

Would have thought that on the biggest story of the year Sky would have kept their battle plans secret?!

#18216 Reply

Johnnie
    Keymaster

It really doesn’t matter, Sky have only published half their coverage… I’m sure Newswall presentations, Graphics and Interviews will be apart of Sky’s battle plan

#18217 Reply

Steven
    Participant

tim1+Aug 20 2004, 09:34 PM–>(tim1 @ Aug 20 2004, 09:34 PM)
    Would have thought that on the biggest story of the year Sky would have kept their battle plans secret?!

Seriously? These plans are hardly earth-shatteringly-ground-breaking.

#18218 Reply

rob237
    Participant

carjacbar+Jul 26 2004, 11:38 AM–>(carjacbar @ Jul 26 2004, 11:38 AM)
    If Andrew Wilson’s talking, I’ll be watching.

IMO, the most articulate and objective of all our TV reporters – by some distance.

Can speak off the cuff at will and, rather like Ms Ford, rarely if ever drops an ‘h’.

#18219 Reply

Johnnie
    Keymaster

Sky are now using U.S. Election Graphics.

Split screen

Name strap

There’s also a sting which is played just before a U.S. Election story.

#18220 Reply

philg
    Participant

Judging by the new US Vote 2004 advert with Andrew Wilson that is being played, Sky News have hired a private plane for his trip around America. In the ad there are a lot of shots of Andrew around or in a plane with a huge sky news logo on the side, similar to the Sky Copter.

#18221 Reply

eagleeye
    Participant

how fast is he talking? Is he wearing those daft earphones?

Tim 1 clearly works in the claustrophobic, internal-bubble world of the London mediaaah. Ordinary people (that’s peasants like us, who pay to watch TV…) see things differently. It’s ‘obvious’ coverage to us, but in their highly competitive world, everything another network does has to be bettered. Yawn. Anyone spoken to Bush’s dog yet? See Kerry was in camouflage, out hunting today to prove he’s as good ‘n ole boy as the rest of ’em.
    May Mercy preserve us. It’s another country out there, as Ian Rush once said about Italy.

#18222 Reply

philg
    Participant

Does anyone know when Jeremy Thompson will be in Florida? I haven’t seen anything from him yet. Maybe in Live at Five.
    Good to see Keith Graves, his report today was pretty scathing against the republicans in Florida, which is of course excellent.

#18223 Reply

eagleeye
    Participant

Did you see the Osama video? Alive and well and hoping for a Bush victory I’ll bet…the news here reported that the Bush administration tried to stop Al Jazeera from showing it….spin anyone?!

#18224 Reply

Mr Byrne
    Participant

Actually I was dissapointed in Bin Laden. Two Western journalists, that I know of, met him in the 90’s. Peter Arnett and I can’t remember the others name, english guy, lives in Beirut. But both of those Journalists said that Bin Laden was extremely intelligent. I for one believe that, so I’m disspointed in his broadcast. We haven’t seen him in ages, I was expected something a lot bigger than that, maybe.

As regards Sky’s coverage of the election, I watched Sky accross america all last week, I thought it was excellent. No other channel matched it. Andrew Wilson aced everybody and the best has yet to come.

#18225 Reply

Johnnie
    Keymaster

I heard that JT was on Live at 5 yesterday.

Julie Etchingham is on Sky now live from Washington (2.10pm), she is linking to U.S. Election reports. She said she’ll be back on Live at 5.

#18226 Reply

philg
    Participant

Yes JT was in Washington yesterday linking to reports and doing lives with the various correspondants in the US. As you say, Julie is doing something very similar today. They seem to start at about 3 o’clock, not sure what time they finish.

Adam Boulton in Texas this weekend by the way, moved from Boston. he did a live with JT and Keith Graves yesterday afternoon.

#18227 Reply

philg
    Participant

Judging by the coverage today, Sky have a proper studio overlooking the White House, as was seen when Jeremy and Julie talked to guests the camera panned out to show it all.

Julie presented parts of Live at Five from Washington for the first hour, and then Jeremy was in for the second.

#18228 Reply

Johnnie
    Keymaster

Jeremy has been on most of the evening, he was on at 10pm.
    Julie is working 6am – 1pm tomorrow and Tuesday, so maybe JT will do evening/night.

Is it just me or are the pictures (live feeds) from the U.S a little blurry, they don’t seem to be as sharp as normal.. (maybe not enough light) ?

#18229 Reply

Forum Member
    Participant

NTSC resolution isn’t as high as our PAL resolution. That’s probably the issue to an extent, or entirely. I don’t remember exactly how blurry it was.

#18230 Reply

eagleeye
    Participant

HELP! Kevo, Ed, anyone…I’ve just been reading the Village Voice’s election coverage (people are pressing the e-button to vote for Kerry and they’re getting Bush ie the lawyers are warming up their bank balances) and this is what I read…(posted by Rick Perlstein):

“It’s, like, heavier than the Sixties, man!

Forty years ago this week John M. Bailey, chairman of the Democratic National Committee, sent out an angry press release charging that “under the guise of setting up an apparatus to protect the sanctity of the ballot, the Republicans are actually creating the machinery for a carefully organized campaign to intimidate voters and to frighten members of minority groups from casting their ballots on November 3rd.”

The Republican vote-suppression effort in 1964 was called “Operation Eagle Eye.”

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH. What’s an EE to do? I am benign and am not a Bush plant (sorry that’s a baaad one)

PS Is ANYONE left at Sky in London?! Hello, lonely person!

#18231 Reply

Johnnie
    Keymaster

Ray Kennedy is in Washington for Sky News Ireland..

#18232 Reply

Johnnie
    Keymaster

Sky News have updated the static ticker:

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 47 total)
Reply To: U.S. Elections
Your information:

Add New Topic Login Register