ways to make SNI better

Discussion Forums Forums TV Newsroom ways to make SNI better

This topic contains 18 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  tippguy 13 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author

Dublin
    Participant
    #16835 Reply

Dublin
    Participant

I’m not giving out about it or antything, I think the service is great, I just have a few ideas thet might make it better:

Bigger and better designed studio, I was very disappointed with the studio

Put Graine behind a big Sky News desk

Have a special to give sports news in the studio

Have more presenters, (what would they do if graine was sick?(

Have updates during the day

Bye,

Dubliner

#16836 Reply

Newsroom
    Participant

SNI studio is grand-u have got to remember that it is only two half hour bulletins and so a big desk within a big studio is totally unnecessary.

Also,it is a bigger studio than RTE’s(Ive been in RTEs many a time andf boy is it cramped!)

Well Brian Daly when he was in TV3 he was a newsreader for the morning bulletins and so would be well able to cover,as could Eiblin or indeed Ray,if it was necessary.

I think the bulletins are a welcome relief from RTE and TV3 ;well done for doing it…also please all forum users dont be too harsh to SNI-they are only starting up–give them a while before complaining!

#16837 Reply

Newsroom
    Participant

Bigger and better designed studio, I was very disappointed with the studio

Have more presenters, (what would they do if graine was sick?(

These are my quotes for above reply.Sorry i dont know how to quote

#16838 Reply

Steven
    Participant

Have updates during the day

Yes, surely this is one of the next steps for SNI. Perhaps a lunch time and mid to early afternoon bulliten.

#16839 Reply

Steven
    Participant

Above all the cosmetic issues being mentioned surely the main thing to make the bulliten better is more Ireland news!

#16840 Reply

Newsroom
    Participant

Above all the cosmetic issues being mentioned surely the main thing to make the bulliten better is more Ireland news!

EXACTLY!

#16841 Reply

Mr Byrne
    Participant

MORE IRELAND NEWS? – You must be joking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The reason why we’re all watching TV3 and Sky is because RTE keep waffling on and after a hlaf an hour they start talking about missing sheep in Ballygobackwards in Co. Kerry. – Don’t let SNI go like that!!!

But I think there should be a continuous SNI between 5:30 and 10 EVERY night. I mean what does Gr?inne do between 7:30 and ten? She must be bored stiff.

And I agree, put Grainne behind a news desk and get more presenters. 1 presenter is enough on the air at any stage BUT if your going to have it coninuous between 5-10 and run it week-ends (which is something thats needed ASAP. If you don’t start broadcasting on Sat and Sun, it’ll be the curse of SNI) – you need more presenters to do that.

#16842 Reply

Mr Byrne
    Participant

and…

“:arrow: Have a special to give sports news in the studio “

– No thanks. 10 mins maximum is enough per bulletin.

#16843 Reply

Newsroom
    Participant

Brian Daly was a newsreader for Tv3.
    Ray Kennedy was a newsreader for TV3.
    Eibhl?n N? Chnghaile was a newsreader for TG4 and Nuacht RTE.
    Any of the above could do weekend presenting and/or cover Gr?inne’s shifts.

As for the continuous loop between 7pm and 10.30pm I totally disagree. I would much rather watch SkyNewsUK between the two half hourly bulletins than watching SNI.

#16844 Reply

Mr Byrne
    Participant

No you misread me,

I want a continous loop between 5 OCLOCK AND TEN O CLOCK.

Sky News is a 24 hours news network!!!! – They could easily wipe the floor with all of the other irish channels! – ask yourself why NBC in maerica are now 24/7, why do the bbc and ITN have 24 hour channel, why do CNN have a london bureau? Because people aren’t going to wait till 5:30 (first broadcast by TV3) to see the news, and they are most certainly NOT going to wait till 7PM to watch SKY news when there hasd already been 3 pother bulletins beofre that. Sky news is good for Intl. events but there coverage of irish stories cannot compete with RTE and are merely at TV3 standard., for those of you watching us from the UK, TV3 is unbelieveable tabloidish and they have no foreign Dept. The pay someone else for foreign footage.

A 24/7 news will never be economical in Ireland because we’re a country of 4m and another 1.2 million if you inlcude N.I. However, continuouis news from 5-10 is very economical, in fact in the long run, if you try to make SNI as 24/7 as you can , you will get more money. The amount of viewers Sky News can rwach in ireland is much higher than the amount of viewers sky news can reach in Britian percentage wise. I doin’t have Sky, I watch Sky News over the NTL Cab;e standard package. Also, TV3 and RTE must show other coverage, SKy news can alsways show the news.

By the way, Ray worked for RTE not TV3 and he was a reporter, he read the news once or twice just for the expericne.

Brian eibhlin and ray are correspondants, they must be a reporter or a newsreader.

#16845 Reply

Newsroom
    Participant

Excuse me?
    I have worked in RTE with Ray but prior to him being in RTE(as a reporter), he was employed by TV3 as a weekend newsreader.

#16846 Reply

Newsroom
    Participant

And they do not read the news at RTE “just for the experience”…It is for the two monthly board meeting of all the principal newsreaders and the majority of reporters at RTE have read the news on television or radio at some stage in their careers!

I do not have Sky either but I have SkyNews and Sky One which come with the standard cable service.
    Personally, I think SkyNewsIreland is a load of rubbish. Let RTE and TV3 cover our news and tune into SkyNews for international stories.
    I really miss SkyNews@10, I cannot receive it now that SkyNewsIreland automatically comes on and I do not have their Active service.

#16847 Reply

Mr Byrne
    Participant

You are very anti-sky. If you’re looking for an international story, then you would be campaigning for NTL to bring back CNN.

If you will remmeber, we had CNN on our basic cable pacgage. At the launch of Sky News, they got rid of CNN and brought in Sky News instead.

Personnally I’d like to have both CNN and Sky but if you are looking for Sky to bring you international sotries ONLY, then CNN do it a lot better.

I on the other hand am astonished with this new Sky News Ireland, BUT, there is a hell of a lot of room for improvement. Sky News is 24/7. If they make SNI on for 5 hours every evening, it is at the expense of nothing. RTE cannot do that because they are like BBC1, they must put on all that crap that they put on, I don’t like RTE, but obviously others do. However I see a lot of hypocrcy in you. If you’re looking for international news only in Sky, you’re wasting your time, send an email to NT, ask them to give you CNN.

#16848 Reply

Mr Byrne
    Participant

Newsroom, care to continue? It seems that SNI’s forum ratings are as poor as the actualy Sky News Ireland.

#16849 Reply

tippguy
    Participant

Just a couple of suggestions for SNI.

Make news longer. Either do a hourly show which would cut out rushing the last few minutes to catch back up with SNUK. Or run a full show from around 5 until 11.
    If you were to do this you would need more presenters. Brian Daly would be ideal alongside Gr?inne. He has great experience from Ireland A.M.
    The weekend service was a joke. But now we have nothing. If Eibhlin & Ray Kennedy presented weekend news then they would all get a break.
    People who want to watch SNUK the active service could be made available so it showed SNUK.
    On Sky News Today the ticker bar is great.
    What if ye got someone to cover the sports or beam it from Sky Sports News in London like the weather. But these need to be updated not the same ones on all the shows.
    When Gr?inne is speaking to a sky reporter live she concludes by saying I.ie. ?ray Kennedy reporting live from leister house thanks ray?. There is a bit too much reputation there don?t you think!
    It?s only a small thing but the blue background on the time is different on SNUK to SNI. In UK its see through.
    The people in the background seem to be doing nothing on there computers. Why not get them to sort out the opening rather than Gr?inne having to do it. Last night she tried to fix the problem herself while your man in the background barley batted an eyelid.
    I have tried e-mailing these suggestions to the e-mail address at the bottom of the screen several times but have never got a reply. Why do ye put it up if ye aren?t even going to bother to reply!
    Every night it?s the same thing either Brian or Ray have the first story. Ye need some more reporters. Its just so predicable.
    A Sky News Ireland website would be brilliant for people on the web abroad.

I hope the new boss can at least consider some of my proposals.
    Thanks,
    P?draig
    Padraigbyrne@hotmail.com

#16850 Reply

Mr Byrne
    Participant

Hello Mr Padraigbyrne – we’re a powerful family

I’ve also tried emailing sky news ireland, the first few times it didn’t work, and when it finally did, I got no response.

What they they do on those computers? I hope they come on here.

But a lot of your suggestions mirror my own – 24 hour news channel – if they have continuous irish news in the evening – its only in place of british news – LOL! – so why not do it. Gr?inne is getting paid what? 60 thousand or eighty thousand Euro a year?? – why can’t she do 4 -5 hours like here coleagues in london?

My answer on behalf of sky News ” we have a very stupid man as head of Sky News Ireland, he’s not a entrepreneur and he’s not very intelligent.” – I can’t think of any other reason why they can’t do it – but its finally finished with me – I’M NOT WATCHING SKY NEWS IRELAND ANYMORE UNTIL SOMEONE HERE TELLS ME THAT THEY’VE GOT THEIR ACT TOGETHER! – I watched Sky News Ireland @ 10 last night and it was so pathetic. An embarrsment to ~Ireland, to Sky News and to Rupert Murdoch.

#16851 Reply

Mr Byrne
    Participant

Oh and one last thing – I feel sorry for those who have subscriptions to sky digital – its you who are paying the wages of these dormant idiots. – Cable customer

#16852 Reply

tippguy
    Participant

we all know sni need to make some changes and by the looks of thinks those women behind grainne are paying some bit of attention to us.

The first point that i’d like to make is that i think after the financial news grainne say “your watching sky news ireland brought to nightly at 7 & 10”. Whats the point in that!! Everyone knows what time sni is on you just have to check your tv guide if you dont know by now. And anyways everyone who watches sni knows what time its on they need to advertise in places where peopple dont know about it eg on sky sports, sky one even the papers. surley someone watching super sunday or dream team will see the ad’s and take notice of it.

Secondly tonight six reporters, grainne & francis the weatherman were on thats a total of 8 people for a whole show. No wonder nobody is watching sni. i mean even tv3 have more than that. while rte have around 15 on their hour shows. Brian Daly was doing two different reports tonight while alison o’reilly, murphy, eibhlin & Gary Honeyford had the night off.

Finally as i have said before whats the point in having a half hour show. ye never get time to finish off the stories. tonight the band aid 20 story was cut off. Most days they end the show to go to sportsline. whats the point in staying watching that grainne has just touched the headlines ten minutes ago and then theres some hammey stories to fill the last quarter. so if ye done a full hour you could have the first quarter about top stories, get an analysist for the second, do sports for the third & have entertainment, weather & a light story for the finish. its not rocket science. theres nothing great on most nites at half ten anyways so ten till 11 would work out well.

Before i go i think its great sni are covering the budget it should boost the ratings providing ye advertise. theres no point in doing it on yer own shows as i stated before put it out in wednesdays papers!!!!!!!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
Reply To: ways to make SNI better
Your information:

Add New Topic Login Register