Website obsession…

Forums Forums TV Newsroom Website obsession…

This topic contains 14 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  OperaGhost 10 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

SSLuke
    Participant
    #32946 Reply

SSLuke
    Participant

we all know about the current Sky News website blitz, with reminders every 10 mins and the logo animating to reveal sky.com/news with impunity.

It now looks like Sky Sports News has received a similar directive, skysports.com now heavily features all over the straps and now we have Georgie Thompson with a voice over reminding us about the website at the end of each hour. This is all a bit much isn;t it?

#32947 Reply

Lone
    Participant

SSLuke wrote:we all know about the current Sky News website blitz, with reminders every 10 mins and the logo animating to reveal sky.com/news with impunity.

It now looks like Sky Sports News has received a similar directive, skysports.com now heavily features all over the straps and now we have Georgie Thompson with a voice over reminding us about the website at the end of each hour. This is all a bit much isn;t it?

This sort of annoying behaviour is typical of Sky, and doesn’t surprise me in the least.

#32948 Reply

irxin
    Participant

Please remember guys, Sky News is a free service so don?t knock them too much if they want to up the fraction of hits they get compared to the BBC news site.

The Beeb site has much more information but we pay heavily for it. If you include the ?news? items that are for their own programs there is also nearly as much advertising.

The ?Red button? on Sky remains far better than the BBC, perhaps they will manage to match the web site one day ? I hope so

#32949 Reply

Lone
    Participant

irxin wrote:Please remember guys, Sky News is a free service so don?t knock them too much if they want to up the fraction of hits they get compared to the BBC news site.

The Beeb site has much more information but we pay heavily for it. If you include the ?news? items that are for their own programs there is also nearly as much advertising.

The ?Red button? on Sky remains far better than the BBC, perhaps they will manage to match the web site one day ? I hope so

ITV News is free, so is Channel 4 News, they don’t feel the need to plug their website constantly. Plus I’m a Sky digi subscriber, so my 20 quid probably does end up contributing to SN’s budget, in addition to all the adverts and various sponsors.

About the red button, yes Sky is much better then BBC in that sense, but I’d take the BBC website over Sky’s any day of the week.

#32950 Reply

irxin
    Participant

Lone wrote:(irxin @ Nov 19 2006, 08:12 PM) [snapback]17286[/snapback]

Please remember guys, Sky News is a free service so don?t knock them too much if they want to up the fraction of hits they get compared to the BBC news site.

ITV News is free, so is Channel 4 News, they don’t feel the need to plug their website constantly. Plus I’m a Sky digi subscriber, so my 20 quid probably does end up contributing to SN’s budget, in addition to all the adverts and various sponsors.

About the red button, yes Sky is much better then BBC in that sense, but I’d take the BBC website over Sky’s any day of the week.

Would still argue that Sky News is free, they unlike ITV and Ch4 have no licence obligation to provide a news service. Sky do it as an add on to their services and I suspect that their finance side often argue that it costs more than it generates in advertising revenue.

#32951 Reply

Lone
    Participant

irxin wrote:
    Would still argue that Sky News is free, they unlike ITV and Ch4 have no licence obligation to provide a news service. Sky do it as an add on to their services and I suspect that their finance side often argue that it costs more than it generates in advertising revenue.

I’d argue that SN is free because they don’t have a choice, if SN weren’t available on Freeview it would massively lose out to News 24 and would probably be on the same level as ITN is now (in terms of viewer ratings).

#32952 Reply

irxin
    Participant

Lone wrote:(irxin @ Nov 19 2006, 08:38 PM) [snapback]17289[/snapback]

I’d argue that SN is free because they don’t have a choice, if SN weren’t available on Freeview it would massively lose out to News 24 and would probably be on the same level as ITN is now (in terms of viewer ratings).

I never watch the ?terrestrial? news programs, like to form my own opinions from details from the web if interested.

From my view point ITN gave up doing news several months ago and I cannot remember ever thinking of Ch 4 as a news source.

BARB figures still show SN behind News24 although Sky catch up, and sometimes overtake, in weeks there is a really ?big? story

#32953 Reply

Lone
    Participant

irxin wrote:
    I never watch the ?terrestrial? news programs, like to form my own opinions from details from the web if interested.

From my view point ITN gave up doing news several months ago and I cannot remember ever thinking of Ch 4 as a news source.

BARB figures still show SN behind News24 although Sky catch up, and sometimes overtake, in weeks there is a really ?big? story

I agree with you there, I never ever form an opinion based on one news source, always look to at least several news outlets on the tv (including Sky) and various web sites.

It’s one of the reasons why I welcome AJ-English, the more news channels we have the better IMO.

ITN did provide an alternative to both Sky and BBC, it’s a shame their news channel went belly up. I like Channel 4 news because they always stick to a serious news agenda and rarely bother with ‘fluffy’ news items. I also like their presenters who seem intelligent and sharp, a lot like the Newsnight pack (well Paxman and Kirty Wark at least).

#32954 Reply

irxin
    Participant

Lone wrote:(irxin @ Nov 19 2006, 09:02 PM) [snapback]17291[/snapback]

I agree with you there, I never ever form an opinion based on one news source, always look to at least several news outlets on the tv (including Sky) and various web sites.

It’s one of the reasons why I welcome AJ-English, the more news channels we have the better IMO.

ITN did provide an alternative to both Sky and BBC, it’s a shame their news channel went belly up. I like Channel 4 news because they always stick to a serious news agenda and rarely bother with ‘fluffy’ news items. I also like their presenters who seem intelligent and sharp, a lot like the Newsnight pack (well Paxman and Kirty Wark at least).

#32955 Reply

irxin
    Participant

irxin wrote:(Lone @ Nov 19 2006, 09:38 PM) [snapback]17292[/snapback]

(irxin @ Nov 19 2006, 09:02 PM) [snapback]17291[/snapback]

?Pack? is the right description for Newsnight, especially Paxman ? I think you can make a news program without showing no respect for the person you are interviewing. Paxman and Humphyrs, and their imitators, are not more important then the person they are interviewing.

Both make excellent quiz show hosts although another instance of the Beeb trying to make celebs out of everyone they employ.

I always read the AJ site and I to welcome another news source. I think a French one is coming soon not so sure that will be as welcome although.

#32956 Reply

Lone
    Participant

irxin wrote:
    ?Pack? is the right description for Newsnight, especially Paxman ? I think you can make a news program without showing no respect for the person you are interviewing. Paxman and Humphyrs, and their imitators, are not more important then the person they are interviewing.

Both make excellent quiz show hosts although another instance of the Beeb trying to make celebs out of everyone they employ.

I always read the AJ site and I to welcome another news source. I think a French one is coming soon not so sure that will be as welcome although.

Paxman can be irritating and annoying at times, but personally I think sometimes you need a b*****d like him to give people a hard time and get answers from them, especially our politicians who love to BS whenever their on the screen.

If you’re right about that French news station, I look forward to it.

#32957 Reply

irxin
    Participant

Lone wrote:(irxin @ Nov 19 2006, 09:57 PM) [snapback]17294[/snapback]

Paxman can be irritating and annoying at times, but personally I think sometimes you need a b*****d like him to give people a hard time and get answers from them, especially our politicians who love to BS whenever their on the screen.

If you’re right about that French news station, I look forward to it.

Yes I thought I had seen it was coming:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/France_24

#32958 Reply

jonn0boy
    Participant

Will be good to have a french news station.

#32959 Reply

OperaGhost
    Participant

There might be a website obsession, but some of the articles on there now [in particular; Greg Milams “Eurovision” [before the ShowBiz Wedding edition], Martin Brunts “Life of Crime.” and the Ashes section….even if it sounds like they’ve eaten the dictionary or borrowed Francis Wilson in their build up] are good reads.

Still use the BBC site more though….it’s more user friendly.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
Reply To: Website obsession…
Your information: