Weekend SNI

Forums Forums TV Newsroom Weekend SNI

This topic contains 21 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Mr Byrne 13 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author

Newsroom
    Participant
    #17104 Reply

Newsroom
    Participant

What;s the story with weekend SNI? What happened–aint seen it? any1?

#17105 Reply

DonnieDarko
    Participant

It’s basically 5 minutes of Grainne Seoige sitting in a chair, too far away from the camera, introducing the *story highlights* from the week. Basically, 2 stories from each day, exactly as they were initially broadcast on the original day.

Obviously it’s put together on Friday evening or something, in about 10 minutes, so then they can all have Staurday and Sunday off. (the same show repeated 4 times, twice on Saturday night and Twice on Sunday).

A bit dissapointing I thought. I had thought it would be some chat type thing reviewing the week with some guest.

#17106 Reply

Steven
    Participant

I didn’t actually see any of the weekend programming. I’m quite disappointed with what they are doing though. They might as well not bother really.

Perhaps the next step is to introduce weekend bullitens. What is the weekend news coverage like on RTE and TV3? You see, Sky News does quite well at the weekend in the UK because terrestrial news coverage is pretty weak over Saturday and Sunday.

#17107 Reply

Newsroom
    Participant

Steven SNI is in my opinion(like the irish entry for EUrovision)-a complete flop!

Weekend tv in ireland is reasonable on RTE but terrible on TV3.

RTEs weekend coverage are as follows:

A 10minute lunchtime news usually 12.50-1.00

A half hour 6.1 which is 15min news and 15min sportsnews

A 20min main evening usually starting @nine o’clock or a bit later.10min news and 10min sportsnews.

A 5min headline bulletin(live) around midnight.

TV3

A half hour bulletin from 5.30-6.00(inc. sportsnews)

Weekend bulletin@10 on SNI would i would say for ppl that do not go out on a Saturday night,do ok.

#17108 Reply

Newsroom
    Participant

Overall,i would give SNI 6months before Sky pulls out-sorry for being pessimistic.

#17109 Reply

Steven
    Participant

Overall,i would give SNI 6months before Sky pulls out-sorry for being pessimistic.

Whoa, is the same person that lambasted me for posting negative thoughts on SNI. That’s a truly amazing u-turn there Newsroom.

I really can’t see them pulling out to be honest.

#17110 Reply

Newsroom
    Participant

Yeah thats because ur earlier comments irritated me.However,of what ive seen from SNI so far,I have not really been impressed of the “newsworthiness” of them.

Also,although the 10pm bulletin pulls in viewers,the7 is a total flop!!

#17111 Reply

Steven
    Participant

Also,though the 10pm bulletin pulls in viewers,the 7 is a total flop!!

Surely that isn’t a reason to pull the whole service. It’s no wonder that the 10pm bulletin is more successful – it’s a good 3minutes longer and has better news content.

Yeah thats because ur earlier comments irritated me.

Talking of irritaions. When using commas they go directly after the last letter of the word, you then have a space, then the next word begins. I don’t profess to be a grammarian or punctuation expert, but understand the BASIC uses of a comma. For somebody who is studying some kind of English, or similar, you should know that.

#17112 Reply

DonnieDarko
    Participant

Think you two are ever going to get around to a bout of fisticuffs? If so please let me know in advance! I’d love to see that =)

And as for your sense of disaster and doom re: SNI Newsroom. I agree completely with Steven. Unfortunately I only got to see Monday’s 10pm bulletin this week, but I thought it was a big improvement on last week already. Sky have made a considerable investment in SNI and I imagine that they will concentrate on improving the bulletins in the hopes of luring more viewers. If organisations like SKY were as defeatist as you seem to suggest then we wouldn’t have any news at all.

Anyway, remember TV3 when it first came on air? Everyone was predicting it’s demise but all of these years later they’re still slugging it out. Even their news bulletins have carved a niche for themselves (though with whom I have no idea), and Martin King (aka smiley prick) still has a job.

Whatever about SNI’s merits and drawbacks when compared with RTE, it is already vastly superior than TV3 in every way imaginable.

#17113 Reply

DonnieDarko
    Participant

I happened to catch one of TV3’s bulletins this week and saw that they had some mobile phone poll. It was done the very same as SKY’s polls are done, minus the red button of course. Is this a new thing, or did they start imitating SKY NEWS on this a while back?

Imitation is the greatest form of flattery, as they say!

#17114 Reply

Newsroom
    Participant

Yes TV3 are there but compared to rte tv3 are WAY behind!

i think fidures were 650,000for RTE6.01 and 150,000 for TV3 5.30.

What is SNI-probably the same as the amount of people who watch “The Angelas” on TG4!!!

#17115 Reply

DonnieDarko
    Participant

Very few things in life are overnight success stories. I suggest you give it a few months to become established before you let yourself get so nihilistic about it.

#17116 Reply

Newsroom
    Participant

“NIHILISTIC”: can i have the English version of that word.

(is that a slovenian word for Moynahan?)
    But yeah i will give it time-it is a sort of summary of news!

And Grainne and Lisa are always worth tuning in for!

#17117 Reply

Stevo
    Participant

And Grainne and Lisa are always worth tuning in for!

Oh yes, most definitely! – That’s one of the most sensible things you’ve said. – Tune in for them, if nothing else. Then you can watch the improvements as they happen, and still be happy. (Rome wasn’t built in a day!)

#17118 Reply

Newsroom
    Participant

I actually thought this evenings 7pm bulletin was quite good actually……id like to hear peoples opinions on Eibhlin N? Chonghaile—she takes a bit of getting used to but overall I think she is rather good!

#17119 Reply

Steven
    Participant

Well, with regards to Eibhlin, I can’t take to her at all. I can quite put my finger on the exact reason why.

You’re dead right Newsroom, the bulletin is improving. I’m not quite sure why they had Lisa Burke in Dublin again though.

Last night after the break Grainne was doing a live interview with 3 guests outside the Conrad Hotel. When the interview finished she threw back to the studio where Brian Daly delivered the sports news. By the time he had finished Grainne was back in the studio for the rest of the bulletin.

#17120 Reply

Newsroom
    Participant

The studio is just outside the conrad hotel.

#17121 Reply

Stevo
    Participant

Well, with regards to Eibhlin, I can’t take to her at all. I can quite put my finger on the exact reason why.

I’ll give some Limerick solidarity to Eibhl?n, as she is based in the city. I can’t say I ever noticed her much on TG4 or RT?, but I do think she is doing okay. As Newsroom said, it’s just a case of getting used to her really. I can’t say she’s done anything wrong anyway. Give her some time, she’s doing quite well in her new surroundings.

You’re dead right Newsroom, the bulletin is improving.

I always thought they would get better, I never expected them to be an impressive overnight sensation! These things take time. But the Sky News Ireland bulletins are making steady progress, getting better week by week as things settle down and people at Sky News Ireland get used to their new jobs.

#17122 Reply

Steven
    Participant

Next week they have each of the leaders of the political parties being interviewed by Grainne in the 10pm bulliten. It starts Monday and runs for 6 nights.

Are RTE or TV3 doing anything similar?

#17123 Reply

Newsroom
    Participant

RTE usually put a reporter following the leader round the country—-in fairness to my ex-employer,they really do put extremely carefully thought out effort and make quality programmes about things like the elections.

But I’m interested in seeing these interviews….thnks for that info.

#17124 Reply

Mr Byrne
    Participant

quote:

i think fidures were 650,000for RTE6.01 and 150,000 for TV3 5.30.

the figures for TV3 are now over 180,000 and if SNI was pulling in those figures, ythey’d be really happy.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
Reply To: Weekend SNI
Your information:

Add New Topic Login Register