What has happened to this site?

Discussion Forums Forums TV Newsroom What has happened to this site?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Sky Lad 11 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

bbriscoe
    Participant
    #29833 Reply

bbriscoe
    Participant

Before this site was relaunched it was filled with images, videos, loads of information and the forums were extremely active. Now the forums are quiet and dull and the Sky News section of the site is not half what it used to be.

This site used to be for people who had an interest and appreciation of Sky News. However now more effort seems to be put into other sections, like the recent additions to the BBC News areas.

I was looking for videos of how Sky covered the 7/7 bombings, but the only thing I could find were images. However if you go to the BBC News sections you can find multiple videos of how they covered this event.

I know there were problems with some people assuming this site was affiliated in some way with Sky News, but all the great information of the old site seems to have been lost in the new one.

The site seems to have lost direction, and from the forums it appears people as well.

#29834 Reply

S J Hooper
    Participant

I can’t comment about the decline and fall of this website, I’m afraid, having only discovered it a couple of weeks ago. I am, however, curious about your interest in Sky News. What is it that you think distinguishes Sky from the other news channels and news bulletins?

I have Sky Digital at home and split my time pretty evenly between News 24 and Sky, depending on what story is being covered. I’m interested to hear more of your thoughts about Sky.

best regards,

Sam

http://betternewsforbritain.blog.com

s.j.h.hooper@warwick.ac.uk

bbriscoe wrote:Before this site was relaunched it was filled with images, videos, loads of information and the forums were extremely active. Now the forums are quiet and dull and the Sky News section of the site is not half what it used to be.

This site used to be for people who had an interest and appreciation of Sky News. However now more effort seems to be put into other sections, like the recent additions to the BBC News areas.

I was looking for videos of how Sky covered the 7/7 bombings, but the only thing I could find were images. However if you go to the BBC News sections you can find multiple videos of how they covered this event.

I know there were problems with some people assuming this site was affiliated in some way with Sky News, but all the great information of the old site seems to have been lost in the new one.

The site seems to have lost direction, and from the forums it appears people as well.

#29835 Reply

Sky Lad
    Participant

I can’t speak for anyone else but I don’t bother with the forums now, I have the odd look but don’t bother posting (usually) because it tends to lead to personal comments being made about the member posting, like the Lukwesa Burak post (in the sky news section) for instance.

I’m not surprised that the forums have done downhill, who’d want to join it after reading a thread like that.

I agree though that this site was better when it just focused on sky news.

#29836 Reply

kev667
    Participant

hello skylad, briscoe,

is it just the videos you’re missing? surely the site’s still stuffed full of news pics, staff pics, profiles, images of coverage – 22 pages of images just for 7/7. ..as far as i know all the skynews content is still on the site and being updated.. exclusive images, Q&A’s, history… stuff in extra, stuff in Misc..

it was a shame the old site couldn’t continue as it was, mainly the forums – they did have some very good threads and debates – i presume it was the downtime and relaunch that made people go elsewhere or forget about the site… and some of it was snuk’s real relaunch not inspiring very many people… and no war live on telly to talk about… …maybe?

#29837 Reply

Sky Lad
    Participant

kev667 wrote:hello skylad, briscoe,

is it just the videos you’re missing? surely the site’s still stuffed full of news pics, staff pics, profiles, images of coverage – 22 pages of images just for 7/7. ..as far as i know all the skynews content is still on the site and being updated.. exclusive images, Q&A’s, history… stuff in extra, stuff in Misc..

it was a shame the old site couldn’t continue as it was, mainly the forums – they did have some very good threads and debates – i presume it was the downtime and relaunch that made people go elsewhere or forget about the site… and some of it was snuk’s real relaunch not inspiring very many people… and no war live on telly to talk about… …maybe?

I don’t have a problem with the content of the site. It’s fine as it is and it’s free so can’t really complain when someone puts their own spare time into it. My main problem at the time was the forums and certain peoples attitudes to those they thought were illiterate and making childish comments against certain members which I won’t name.

I don’t know if it’s like that in the forums now because I very rearly check them of if I do I don’t usually post anything because you can’t really have a discussion like you used to be able to.

I check the main site quite often though and think it’s a good place to get information from.

This is all just my opinion though

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: What has happened to this site?
Your information:

Add New Topic Login Register