What is SkyNews?

Discussion Forums Forums TV Newsroom What is SkyNews?

This topic contains 28 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  HBox 12 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • Author

Rob1547
    Participant
    #24544 Reply

Rob1547
    Participant

Hey There! I’ve been searching aroud this forum and other sites to learn more about SkyNews! I like in the US and I dont get Sky, but I was wondering if someone could tell me exactly what Sky is and tell me anything else I should know! Thanks!

#24545 Reply

HBox
    Participant

Hi, Sky is a UK satellite broadcaster, similar perhaps to ABC, CBS or FOX in America. They broadcast a whole range of channels, as well as their own ones, for example Sky News, Sky Movies, Sky Sports, Sky One (an entertainment channel), Sky Box Office and Sky Travel.

Sky News has been around for over 15 years, and is the UK’s favourite 24 hour news channel. It broadcasts in various countries around the world (not the US because FOX blocked an attempt by Sky to launch Sky News over there).

Sky News is going to launch a major revamp in the coming months, so keep your eyes open, a lot of people are eagerly awaiting the re-launch.

If you havn’t already done so, you should visit http://www.sky.com/news this is Sky News’ website.

#24546 Reply

wolverine
    Participant

<_ <

I have a question too.
    What is Five news where J.Etchingham is currently working ?
    What channel does it depend on ?

#24547 Reply

dirkyt
    Participant

I think I am right in saying that SKY News provides news coverage for Channel Five – a channel in its own right.

Like ITN – who provide the news service for Channel Four and ITV – News Channels/Agencies hold franchises for terrestrial coverage.

This is being debated at the moment in Scotland – where Scottish Television and Grampian Television are looking at creating an alternative international news service – ditching ITN’s ITV News. They might have their own News at 10.30 soon. This is because the franchise for ITN supplying news to these regions is under review. They may launch something like ‘Scotland Tonight’ or ‘Newsday Scotland’ etc. I hope that Anne MacKenzie (what a surprise) is at the helm of this. Someone who is established and credited with both Scottish and network programmes should not be overlooked!!

While ITV News has been rebranded the broadcasts are still ITN productions (see end credits of Lunchtime,Evening and Weekend News – as well as News at 10.30)

SKY News credits appear after Five News bulletins and updates are broadcast. This means that Five tap into SKY News resources, studios, reporters and to some extent presenters. All live broadcasts will be via SKY vans etc. I think that Kirsty Young’s healthy pay packet will be from BSKYB?? :blink:

I am not sure about whether or not the editorial side of things have carried on from the ITN days – or if they are SKY news editors involved now?? :unsure:

Bloody hell – don’t I go on!!! BLAH – BLAH – BLAH!!

#24548 Reply

PJMulholland
    Participant

Sky News is another one of Rupert Murdochs playthings (like FOX News)

The only difference is he hasn’t had the guts to turn it into a geobbelesque propoganda outfit like its sister station. Yet.

#24549 Reply

daved2424
    Participant

No, the difference is he can’t by law. We have different regulations here. He certainly would if he could.

#24550 Reply

NEWSBOY2
    Participant

Isn’t a case of not having the guts, he can’t. The staff would revolt and it wouldn’t work. Broadcasting is much more heavily regulated here than in America, and politically we aren’t as conservative and patriotic. However I’ve always wondered what would happen if the Sun newspaper decided to create its own news channel.

#24551 Reply

HBox
    Participant

PJMulholland+Jun 2 2005, 01:00 AM–>(PJMulholland @ Jun 2 2005, 01:00 AM)
    Sky News is another one of Rupert Murdochs playthings (like FOX News)

The only difference is he hasn’t had the guts to turn it into a geobbelesque propoganda outfit like its sister station. Yet.

I have to agree that you are a moron. I ditto the above two posts and also Sky News is not one of Rupert Murdoch’s play things, his company News Corp only own around 36% of shares in BSkyB which is the parent company of Sky News. And in relation to the above two posts, I don’t think any news channel in this country can be a ‘play thing’ because of all the regulations.

People need to get out of the habbit of comparing Sky News to Fox News, the channels are actually very dissimilar.

Try taking a very strong sedative.

#24552 Reply

daved2424
    Participant

After all, newspapers and magazines have definite editorial slants and dedicated readerships precisely because of this reason. Why should broadcasters not be free to project certain viewpoints? However, in the UK Sky News has to operate within the remit of ?due impartiality?, proposed by the government-appointed, though autonomous, Independent Television Commission [now OFCOM], making it difficult for Sky News to openly pursue a political position. Given the cultural influence of the BBC and the public-service broadcasting ethos, Sky News has tended to follow the standards set up by the BBC news journalism. However, Sky is under constant pressure from its owner, to treat news from conflict zones as drama and as an event. Dissatisfied with what he perceives as its staid presentation and ?liberal bias,? Murdoch wants Sky News to become more populist. ?Sky News is very popular and they are doing well but they don?t have the entertaining talk shows ? it is just a rolling half-hour of hard news all the time,? Murdoch told the New York Times.

Source: http://wacc.dev.visionwt.com/de/publicatio…s_media_in_asia

#24553 Reply

daved2424
    Participant

I was trying to find out exactly where Sky News is available, but to no avail. One website quotes: “During 2003, plans to offer Sky News in the US were under consideration, but have since been dropped… Sky News is also available on satellite in Africa, the Middle East and India, while a sister service, Sky News Australia, is available in Australia and New Zealand.” But I know this list is not definiative as it is also available in places such as Italy and Cyprus. So as to it being available in the US, I am actually unsure.

Source: http://www.answers.com/topic/sky-news

#24554 Reply

PJMulholland
    Participant

Littlejohn anyone??? :rolleyes:

#24555 Reply

PJMulholland
    Participant

I’m very amused by people saying things like “News Corp only own 36% of the shares” and “media regulation blah blah blah”

It does not matter whether Murdoch owns 100% or 50%, what matters is that he/News Corp is the largest shareholder and has enough muscle to effectively control the company and exercise his will over it – witness the James Murdoch debacle.

I take on board to a certain extent that regulation is holding him back at present, but you can bet your bottom dollar that he will soon get his way on this issue in the face of government desperate to maintain his newspapers support.
    Didn’t OFCOM float the idea of “opinioned news channels” just recently?

The vultures are gathering….I can feel it!

#24556 Reply

daved2424
    Participant

It just won’t happen. They staff at Sky would revolt. And oh the small issue of it still being illegal.

#24557 Reply

PJMulholland
    Participant

Umm, which I’ve just addressed.

Staff revolt?!?

WTF!

As we know, Murdoch would NEVER impose his will on staff or order mass redundancies to achieve his aims

#24558 Reply

daved2424
    Participant

Do you know many Sky staff?

#24559 Reply

PJMulholland
    Participant

daved2424+Jun 3 2005, 07:32 PM–>(daved2424 @ Jun 3 2005, 07:32 PM)
    Do you know many Sky staff?

Your point being?

#24560 Reply

daved2424
    Participant

…how could you judge whether they would revolt about Murdoch implementing his right-wing agenda on the company? But before that would happen the laws would then have to be changed. And as for sacking them if they did, he couldn’t because that would also be against the law. Striking is not a sackable offence under British law unless it is an illegal strike.

#24561 Reply

PJMulholland
    Participant

daved2424+Jun 3 2005, 08:29 PM–>(daved2424 @ Jun 3 2005, 08:29 PM)
    …how could you judge whether they would revolt about Murdoch implementing his right-wing agenda on the company?

I couldn’t. You were the one who suggested it.

#24562 Reply

PJMulholland
    Participant

daved2424+Jun 3 2005, 08:29 PM–>(daved2424 @ Jun 3 2005, 08:29 PM)
    …how could you judge whether they would revolt about Murdoch implementing his right-wing agenda on the company? But before that would happen the laws would then have to be changed. And as for sacking them if they did, he couldn’t because that would also be against the law. Striking is not a sackable offence under British law unless it is an illegal strike.

And what would be legal over a strike based on a change in editorial policy which the law said was allowed. It would hardly breach any of their working conditions or anything.

If you want to know what would happen post the “foxification” of the station, there would be much hysterics and loud angry articles in the media by high ranking employees, which would be promtly followed my Murdoch doing as he wished anyway and them walking off into oblivion.
    Andrew Neil and Peirs Morgan are two noticable examples of such behaviour in the recent past.

NOBODY is bigger then Murdoch at News Corp. All can be replaced quite easily.

#24563 Reply

dodrade
    Participant

Surely it suits Murdoch to have some semi-respectable news organisations like Sky News and the Times in his portfolio so that his empire is not seen solely as a right wing propaganda tool.

#24564 Reply

Steven
    Participant

dodrade+Jun 4 2005, 10:46 AM–>(dodrade @ Jun 4 2005, 10:46 AM)
    Surely it suits Murdoch to have some semi-respectable news organisations like the Times in his portfolio so that his empire is not seen solely as a right wing propaganda tool.

He he, good one fella. Boy that was funny.

#24565 Reply

HBox
    Participant

I think we need to have a childrens section on this forum site so that certain members can play around with their little friends and not bother the grownups.
    Run along now PJMulholland, and have fun.

#24566 Reply

PJMulholland
    Participant

Hmm, seeing as I’m talking about the future of the channel (albeit with opinions you may not agree with) while you have just posting mindless insults, I must wonder just who the “children” and who the “grown ups” are. :rolleyes:

#24567 Reply

NEWSBOY2
    Participant

Well daved2424 don’t pretend like you know any Sky staff, because when I asked you what you job was you couldn’t even tell me.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
Reply To: What is SkyNews?
Your information:

Add New Topic Login Register