Gary Lineker to ‘step back’ from presenting BBC Match of the Day

Gary Lineker BBC World Cup

Gary Lineker is to “step back” from presenting Match of the Day while the BBC agrees a “clear position” on his use of social media.

It follows a tweet posted by Gary on the government’s latest migration bill.

“The BBC has been in extensive discussions with Gary and his team in recent days. We have said that we consider his recent social media activity to be a breach of our guidelines,” said the BBC

“The BBC has decided that he will step back from presenting Match of the Day until we’ve got an agreed and clear position on his use of social media.

“When it comes to leading our football and sports coverage, Gary is second to none. We have never said that Gary should be an opinion free zone, or that he can’t have a view on issues that matter to him, but we have said that he should keep well away from taking sides on party political issues or political controversies.”

Gary’s been presenting the BBC’s football highlight show since 1999, taking over from Des Lynam. Lineker had worked as an analyst during his predecessor tenure.

Gary has told former BBC Sport presenter Dan Walker that it’s not his decision to step back from presenting Match of the Day, saying “they [the BBC] have told me I have to step back”.

Alan Shearer and Ian Wright supports Gary Lineker

BBC Match of the Day pundits Alan Shearer and Ian Wright have pulled out of tomorrow’s programme in support of Gary Lineker.

In a tweet, Ian said: “Everybody knows what Match of the Day means to me, but I’ve told the BBC I won’t be doing it tomorrow. Solidarity.”

Alan added: “I have informed the BBC that I won’t be appearing on MOTD tomorrow night.”

It is also being reported that Jermaine Jenas, Alex Scott – presenter of Football Focus – and Mark Chapman – host of Match of the Day 2 – have said they will not host tomorrow’s show.

No Football Focus or Final Score

Presenters and pundits have pulled out of this week’s Football Focus – presented by Alex Scott – and Final Score – fronted by Jason Mohammad.

Posted by on Friday 10 March 2023
Posted in
The FA Cup

The FA, BBC and ITV have confirmed the TV schedule for the semi-finals of FA Cup 2023/24. Manchester City host

Missing Thumbnail

@bettsg BTS BBC Final Score #football #efl #BBCsport #tv ? original sound – ?Speed Audios?

BBC Match of the Day Titles

The running order for tonight’s Match of the Day is as follows: 1: Burnley v Brentford; 2: Luton Town v