Yasser Arafat

Forums Forums TV Newsroom Yasser Arafat

This topic contains 20 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Tanya 12 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author

Johnnie
    Keymaster
    #19901 Reply

Johnnie
    Keymaster

Sky are quoting Israel radio: Arafat to be allowed to go to Hospital, after reports that his health has Worsened.

#19902 Reply

eagleeye
    Participant

He’s being flown by helicopter out of Palestine tomorrow and will be treated in Paris. Apparently the Israelis have promised to let him back in. The conspiracy theories as to what is wrong with him have started acc to the news on French TV tonight.

#19903 Reply

kev667
    Participant

I’d love to hear Abby’s views on what’s happening. The BBC guy seemed predominantly going for the ‘will it cause violence in gaza?’ question to everyone that came on to talk.. sigh. It’s hard for us here to see and think through the haze. What’s really happening & what do people think? ta.

I do enjoy Emma’s coverage Good work there.

ta
    kev

#19904 Reply

Abby
    Participant

Hi Kev, There is surprisingly very little talk of Yassar Arafat here since he was flown to Paris. It is assumed that he has leukaemia and it is end-stage which means he may not survive for many more months. Some people are comparing his situation with the late King Hussein of Jordan who went to the US for treatment and then flew home to die.

Although I work with a number of Palestinians, we haven’t seen many of them for the past week or two. This is the month of Ramadan (we’ve just begun week 3) and in the Middle East, the Muslims only have to work a maximum 6 hours a day. In reality, they work for about 2 or 3. It’s the rest of us that do the actual work and keep the place afloat!! So, I haven’t had a chance to ask my Arab colleagues for their opinion. However, we are having a meeting on Monday and I hope to get a chance afterwards to chat with them.

All the Palestinians here have Jordanian nationality and are staunch supporters of Yasser Arafat. They hate the Israelis, as all other ME countries do too. I have to travel through the ME a bit, and I would not get entry in any of these countries if I visited Israel and had it stamped in my passport. I would be black listed in Saudi Arabia for visiting Israel. So, you can see how strong the feelings are in this part of the world.

If I can get some info, I’ll post again in a few days.

Take care

#19905 Reply

Johnnie
    Keymaster

Breaking News: Officals are saying that Arafat is in a coma and in a critical condition. (10.11am)

#19906 Reply

NEWSBOY2
    Participant

Now dead! A reporter has just asked President Bush about how he feels in his press conference. He said “God rest his soul”.

#19907 Reply

Johnnie
    Keymaster

Now not dead, thats what the hospital’s saying.

#19908 Reply

eagleeye
    Participant

It’s turning into an “is he or isn’t he” with Palestinians and military doctors saying different things. French TV has documentaries on Arafat tonight. That usually means only one thing.

#19909 Reply

Alloneword
    Participant

Just my 2p’s worth but I reckon he’s on life support, so technically he’s alive but only because of machines and if they pulled the plug, well I’m sure you can work it out, not long to go now I guess

#19910 Reply

eagleeye
    Participant

He appears to be on life support while the various political agendas get thrashed out between France, US, Israel, Palestinian authority etc as to his burial arrangements, possible successors, repercussions etc.

#19911 Reply

Mr Byrne
    Participant

I agree. It appears the man is very near kicking the bucket, to put it in simple terms.

The fact that their preparing his grave, kind of puts things in perspective.

They plan, as far as I’m aware, to a fstate funeral in Cairo or somewhere safe. I hope you don’t mind me expanding on that, but do you people feal that your or our leaders should attend his funeral?

I wouldn’t think Geroge Bush is going to show up to pay his respects, is Tony Blair or Jack Straw?

#19912 Reply

eagleeye
    Participant

Jack Straw. Funeral in Cairo to allow the Arab states to send someone…Ramallah under Israeli control

It was nice to see – on the web, thank you Kev! – Stuart Ramsay reporting again, from Ramallah. Did Emma H rush back from her time off to make sure she wasn’t deposed ?
    No, it’s good that they have enough reporters there for such a big story.

#19913 Reply

Mr Byrne
    Participant

Emma Hurd has been reporting LIVE in Rammallah for quite a while I believe. She was there this morning anyway.

Also it appears Sky News have answered my question, Jack Straw will attend the funeral on behalf of the UK. Tony Blair is on his way to the US.

Out of curiosity, eagle, you seem interested in the lives of combat or investigative journalists in places like Baghdad. I advise you to get the film/documentary- “Live from Baghdad” about the CNN crew who reported LIVE during the first GulfWar. It’s quite extraordinary to see how they work.

#19914 Reply

NEWSBOY2
    Participant

Bit of an anti-climax, I like how Martin Stanford put it at the media conference I went to yesterday, “We need to learn the french for dead”.

#19915 Reply

Mr Byrne
    Participant

its “morte”

#19916 Reply

eagleeye
    Participant

“Mort” for Arafat who was male!

CNN’s doccie – was that with Nic Robertson as I admire his work, or was that before his time?

It will be interesting to see who turns up at Arafat’s funeral. The message to the Palestinians if only ministers turn up from the UK and US is that ‘they don’t care; they are totally in Israel’s pocket’. Is that the right message to be giving out at this time of change in the Palestinian authority I wonder? Whatever you think of Arafat, you can’t underestimate what he meant to Palestinians, especially those who have nothing, and no right of return.

#19917 Reply

Mr Byrne
    Participant

“It will be interesting to see who turns up at Arafat’s funeral”

– Jack Straw was there, as was my Minister for Foreign Affairs, Dermott Ahern. As far as I know, the Deputy Secretary of State of the US was there too.

#19918 Reply

eagleeye
    Participant

Which Arab heads of state?

#19919 Reply

Abby
    Participant

Some Arab heads of state in Cairo were:

Crown Prince Abdullah of Saudi Arabia, de facto head of state
    King Abdullah of Jordan
    President of Yemen
    A number of (lowly) ministers from Kuwait (understandable), UAE, Oman and Bahrain

I’m sure there were many more but I didn’t get to see much coverage.

#19920 Reply

Tanya
    Participant

Unlike Arabs states, many Western countries decided not to send their top leaders.

The heads of state who attented the funeral were of (some of them already Abby mentioned) Algeria, Egypt (President Hosni Mubarak), Indonesia, Yemen, Jordan (King Abdullah), Lebanon, Tunisia, South Africa (President Thabo Mbeki and Robert Mugabe of Zimbabwe; Arafat was their long-standing support for their liberation movements), Syrian President Bashar al-Assad and Crown Prince Abdullah of Saudia Arabia,…I probably forgot someone, but those were the most important.
    _______
    Tanya

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
Reply To: Yasser Arafat
Your information:

Add New Topic Login Register