#FreeAJstaff – Three Al Jazeera journalists detained in Egypt

Home - Al Jazeera - #FreeAJstaff – Three Al Jazeera journalists detained in Egypt
#FreeAJstaff – Three Al Jazeera journalists detained in Egypt

On December 29, 2013, Three Al Jazeera journalists – Peter Greste, Mohamed Fahmy and Baher Mohamed – were detained in Egypt, and their colleague Abdullah Elshamy has languished in prison without charge for six months.

On January 29, 2014, the three were among 20 journalists charged with offences that include “member of a terrorist organization, disturbing public peace, instilling terror, harming the general interests of the country, possessing broadcast equipment without permit, possessing and disseminating images contrary to the truth.”

Al Jazeera says: “The accusations against our journalists do not stand up to scrutiny. Our detained team had been working in Cairo for some time and people can still watch their work online. It was all of the highest journalistic standards and integrity, as has been all our output since the start of the momentous events in Egypt three years ago.”

Over the last month, journalists (and now individuals) have been taping their mouths shut and holding up a “#FreeAJStaff” sign in calls for the release of the four journalists.

https://twitter.com/TVRav/status/431407419818639361

https://twitter.com/InigoGilmore/status/431459274418446338

https://twitter.com/Sara_Shah15/status/431350559132508160

Update on Friday 7 February 2014
Nina Hossain ITV News

ITV News has appointed Nina Hossain as lead presenter for ITV’s Lunchtime News. Nina, who has won the RTS Nations and Regions Presenter award for the past two years, is currently the main presenter for ITV News London and is… Read more

Jane Hill — BBC News Presenter (1)

Jane Hill returned to BBC News this afternoon following a six month break. The reason Jane was missing in action was unknown until she thanked NHS staff in a tweet earlier this evening. “Big day today. On air for the… Read more

richard-conway-Image-002

Sports correspondent Richard Conway has announced he is leaving the BBC later this year. “Some personal news – I’m leaving the BBC this summer after 8 amazing years reporting sports news,” Richard told his Twitter followers. “Thank you for listening,… Read more