Emily Maitlis confirmed as new lead presenter of BBC Newsnight

Home - BBC News - Emily Maitlis confirmed as new lead presenter of BBC Newsnight
Emily Maitlis confirmed as new lead presenter of BBC Newsnight

The BBC today confirmed a new line up of presenters for BBC Two’s Newsnight.

Emily Maitlis will become the new lead presenter, while Kirsty Wark, a main presenter on Newsnight for 25 years, will be undertaking an enhanced role on the programme.

Emma Barnett, presenter of the BBC Radio 5 Live daily morning show, is joining the Newsnight presenting team. She will continue to present her radio programme.

“This is a tremendous presenter line up that sends out a clear signal about the programme’s growing ambition,” said Esmé Wren, Editor of Newsnight.

“All three presenters bring substantial political clout and a wealth of expertise across a broad range of subjects.

“Emily’s promotion to lead presenter is testament to the journalistic excellence, passion and tenacious interview style that saw her recognised as Network Presenter of the Year at the recent RTS Television Journalism Awards.”

“Kirsty, also an award-winning journalist and presenter, will continue to bring her great authority and forensic skills to an increased number of shows, and to drive the programme’s commitment to the arts and culture.

“And we’re also thrilled to welcome Emma – whose formidable skill as an interviewer and no nonsense approach further strengthens the programme’s agenda-setting impact.”

The changes will take effect immediately.

Update on Wednesday 20 March 2019
Jane Hill — BBC News Presenter (1)

Jane Hill returned to BBC News this afternoon following a six month break. The reason Jane was missing in action was unknown until she thanked NHS staff in a tweet earlier this evening. “Big day today. On air for the… Read more

richard-conway-Image-002

Sports correspondent Richard Conway has announced he is leaving the BBC later this year. “Some personal news – I’m leaving the BBC this summer after 8 amazing years reporting sports news,” Richard told his Twitter followers. “Thank you for listening,… Read more

paul-harrison-Image-022

Former news correspondent Paul Harrison has announced he is leaving Sky News. “After 22 extraordinary years working on and off-screen at Sky News on some of the biggest stories of our lifetime, I am pleased to have been appointed to… Read more