Former BBC, Sky News presenter Alastair Yates dies at the age of 66

Home - BBC News - Former BBC, Sky News presenter Alastair Yates dies at the age of 66
Former BBC, Sky News presenter Alastair Yates dies at the age of 66

Former BBC and Sky News presenter Alastair Yates has died at the age of 66.

“Terribly sad news. Former colleague Alastair Yates has passed away at 66 years old,” said Peter Dobbie.

He was a gentle gentleman of the highest order. Our industry is the poorer without him.”

Yates had been a broadcaster since 1973. He was apart of the BBC News Channel schedule since the channel’s launch in 1997 and had presented on its sister channel BBC World since 1992.

In 2011, he retired from news broadcasting and volunteered his services to the ADHD Foundation in Richmond.

“Our condolences to family, friends and all at ADHD Richmond on the sad news about Alistair Yates – Chair of ADHD Richmond & former news broadcaster,” said the ADHA Foundation.

“Thank you for your support for ADHD. You were a true gentleman; a kind man, a good friend. We will all miss you so much”

Alastair, alongside Penny Smith, was one of the first presenters on Sky News when it launched in February 1989. His career also included presenting stints at Anglia and Grampian Television.

BBC News presenter Simon McCoy said: “Alastair Yates was a great friend and a great colleague – at sky news and the BBC. A real loss to broadcasting. And a real loss for those of us who loved him.”

Update on Friday 27 July 2018
Nina Hossain ITV News

ITV News has appointed Nina Hossain as lead presenter for ITV’s Lunchtime News. Nina, who has won the RTS Nations and Regions Presenter award for the past two years, is currently the main presenter for ITV News London and is… Read more

Jane Hill — BBC News Presenter (1)

Jane Hill returned to BBC News this afternoon following a six month break. The reason Jane was missing in action was unknown until she thanked NHS staff in a tweet earlier this evening. “Big day today. On air for the… Read more

richard-conway-Image-002

Sports correspondent Richard Conway has announced he is leaving the BBC later this year. “Some personal news – I’m leaving the BBC this summer after 8 amazing years reporting sports news,” Richard told his Twitter followers. “Thank you for listening,… Read more