Statement by Stephen Mitchell: “I have decided to retire from the BBC”

Home - BBC News - Statement by Stephen Mitchell: “I have decided to retire from the BBC”
Statement by Stephen Mitchell: “I have decided to retire from the BBC”

Stephen Mitchell, who has quit as BBC deputy director of news, has issued a statement following the Pollard Review into Newsnight’s handling of the Savile allegations.

“It is with great sadness that I have decided to retire from the BBC after more than 38 years’ service of which I am very proud and which I have found greatly enjoyable.

“Given the strain over the past month since being told to stand aside from the job I loved, having endured the Pollard review process and now having read its criticisms, I have decided that it is in my interests and those of the BBC that I bring my career to a dignified end.

“Whilst I feel vindicated that the review has found that I put no undue pressure on Peter Rippon, I disagree with the remainder of Mr Pollard’s criticisms in relation to me.

“I am grateful for all the support I have received from friends and colleagues around the BBC.”

Update on Wednesday 19 December 2012
Nina Hossain ITV News

ITV News has appointed Nina Hossain as lead presenter for ITV’s Lunchtime News. Nina, who has won the RTS Nations and Regions Presenter award for the past two years, is currently the main presenter for ITV News London and is… Read more

Jane Hill — BBC News Presenter (1)

Jane Hill returned to BBC News this afternoon following a six month break. The reason Jane was missing in action was unknown until she thanked NHS staff in a tweet earlier this evening. “Big day today. On air for the… Read more

richard-conway-Image-002

Sports correspondent Richard Conway has announced he is leaving the BBC later this year. “Some personal news – I’m leaving the BBC this summer after 8 amazing years reporting sports news,” Richard told his Twitter followers. “Thank you for listening,… Read more