Kirsty Young to leave Five News

Channel  News Election

Kirsty Young is to leave Five News in the Autumn, it has been announced.

Young has worked for the channel since its launch ten years ago bar a period where she worked for ITV News.

She also presents Desert Island Disks on BBC Radio Four and says she has no other plans for work.

“I couldn’t have worked anywhere better. I’ve been so happy at Five and I’ll miss the incredibly talented people in the news room but after 10 years I feel it’s time for a change,” Young said. “Working in TV news has been a tremendously exciting and exhilarating experience and I will miss that day-to-day buzz but I feel now is the right time to focus on other areas.”

Five’s Senior Programme Controller Chris Shaw said “Kirsty was the Face of Five News when it launched and she defined a new style of news presentation. Obviously we’re sorry she is leaving but understand that she wants a change and everyone at the channel wishes her the very best.”

John Suchet will continue to present the 5.30pm and 7pm bulletins.

Posted by on Friday 25 May 2007
Posted in
Bernard Ponsonby retires from STV

STV’s special correspondent Bernard Ponsonby has announced he is retiring from the channel after 34 years in the industry. He

Darren McCaffrey Images

Darren McCaffrey is making a return to Sky News. He left the organisation in 2018 to join Euronews before moving

Gillian Anderson as Emily Maitlis on Scoop

Scoop is a film based on the true events leading up to Prince Andrew’s explosive 2019 BBC Newsnight interview. The

Copy link