You're here: Home - Forums - Green Room - Is Digital TV Guaranteed? Login | Register

Is Digital TV Guaranteed?

This topic contains 17 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by NaRvIcK DeViL NaRvIcK DeViL 10 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • NaRvIcK DeViL
    NaRvIcK DeViL
    Participant

Is Digital TV Guaranteed?

When the compulsory Digital changeover is complete, what guarantee do we have that we will all recieve a good quality TV signal.

Currently I have 2 freeview boxes and sometimes when I first switch them on the picture goes all wonky, The best way I can describe it- it?s like I just put a chewed up tape in the video recorder, also sometimes the picture freezes and when it returns to normal the audio is out of sink, which can only be resolved by switching channels.

On really bad days due to atmospheric conditions I?m told, I can?t receive a picture at all. I?m sure the experts would probably say it will all be resolved when the analogue signal is switched off. This I understand is the main excuse given for the cause of all the current digital problems.

My response to this excuse is to say that it?s a ?Red Herring?. It?s a bit like going into a Garage with a shock absorber problem on your car and being told that even though only one of them is leaking their going to have replace the other one on the opposite side as well even though there is nothing wrong with it (ever get the feeling you?ve just been conned).

Guvnorgaz
    guvnorgaz
    Participant

I have Sky and when there is heavy rain and thunder about I get no picture at all

Lone
    Lone
    Participant

guvnorgaz wrote:I have Sky and when there is heavy rain and thunder about I get no picture at all

Same, but my DVB-T Freeview USB on my PC, connected to a desktop aerial works happily.

Guvnorgaz
    guvnorgaz
    Participant

Lone wrote:(post=17953:date=Jan 12 2007, 08:49 PM:name=guvnorgaz)(guvnorgaz @ Jan 12 2007, 08:49 PM) 17953

I have Sky and when there is heavy rain and thunder about I get no picture at all

Same, but my DVB-T Freeview USB on my PC, connected to a desktop aerial works happily.

What sort of aerial do you have on it? I have been tempted to get one for a while but Im worried about poor reception

Lone
    Lone
    Participant

guvnorgaz wrote:What sort of aerial do you have on it? I have been tempted to get one for a while but Im worried about poor reception

To be honest you’re much better off using you’re rooftop aerial, since that’ll give you the best signal.

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=94486&_LOC=UKTHIS is the TV USB I use. It comes with it’s own aerial but it’s pathetically weak. I purchased a mains powered aerial for ?20, from Argos. If you do go for a desktop aerial make sure it’s one with it’s own power supply, previously I brought an ordinary one for a tenner and it didn’t prove very reliable.

The one I’ve got now works fine, occasionally I have to move it about to improve the signal but it’s much better then the last two. But I still maintain you’re best off connecting it to you’re home aerial

Guvnorgaz
    guvnorgaz
    Participant

I get all my channels through Sky digibox so I dont have a roof top aerial. I was looking at a Pinnacle PCI dual tuner card and would need to hook that up to a powered set top aerial, I saw the ones in Argos, they are amplified aswell so will boost a poor signal

Lone
    Lone
    Participant

guvnorgaz wrote:I get all my channels through Sky digibox so I dont have a roof top aerial. I was looking at a Pinnacle PCI dual tuner card and would need to hook that up to a powered set top aerial, I saw the ones in Argos, they are amplified aswell so will boost a poor signal

That Pinnacle looks quite good, though I’d advise you to check out some of the alternatives since it isn’t cheap.

As long as you pay good money for an good quality amplified aerial you should be fine.

Guvnorgaz
    guvnorgaz
    Participant

The single tuner version is only 25 quid

NaRvIcK DeViL
    NaRvIcK DeViL
    Participant

What sort of aerial do you have on it? I have been tempted to get one for a while but Im worried about poor reception

“Freeview aerial” misconception colorc

Below are a few comments written by others in the digital spy forum that I thought I’d put them here to let you know that up-grading to a digital aerial in a ‘huge’ falsehood

coloro:#A0522DIt as much the fault of ignorance, within the High Street retailers as anything. Glossy catalogues produced by usually trusted large companies contain adverts for ‘digital aerials’ and non-technical people believe these things.

If you challenge the salesmen, they insist that nothing is wrong with the adverts – because they know no better. I even got chucked out of one of the top name stores for daring to argue about it.colorc

coloro:#483D8BLiving in an analogue trio-overlap and digital duo-overlap area, it really does surprise me how many of these beastie “high gain” aerials people are installing. Wrexham is served digitally by Winter Hill and The Wrekin, of which Winter Hill DTT is allocated in the same aerial band as ATT, while muxes 1-A from the Wrekin are also on the same band as The Wrekin ATT.

For Winter Hill, our aerial is a bog standard group C/D which has been up there since 2001, and for The Wrekin, we have a group A aerial which has been there since 1987. From the Winter Hill mast, we receive all 8 muxes at 95-100%, and from The Wrekin, receive muxes 1-A at around 60-80%. However, many people (and I mean a lot) have gone for these high gain wideband beasts for Winter Hill, where there are no obstructions and clear line of sight to the mast. Our next-door neighbour has even said “he got nothing” from his existing aerial, upgraded to one of these beasts, “still got nothing”, and had it moved to the other side of his house, where he still gets “poor reception”. Now if we can receive Winter Hill at almost 100% with a standard C/D aerial, why can’t people close by? IMO, I think he was incorrectly receiving those muxes from The Wrekin, but his “aerial installer” told him it was bad reception.

People seem to have this thing that “to get Freeview you need a new digital aerial” – but why do people believe this? There’s no such thing as a digital aerial. Surely it?s a cash-in on the aerial installation business.colorc

coloro:#556B2FEvery UHF TV aerial erected since the introduction of BBC2 over 40 years ago would, had the service been available, been perfectly capable of receiving digital TV. The only differences are in the various gain, bandwidth and beamwidth valuescolorc

Lone
    Lone
    Participant

I agree with what those posters are saying, for a while even I was considering forking out for a full upgrade to my rooftop aerial but decided to get a desktop one instead. It’s best to buy a freeview box, hook it up to what you’ve already got installed, and if you have problems then consider a replacement.

Guvnorgaz
    guvnorgaz
    Participant

I had an Ondigital box once and it was hooked up to a crappy old set top aerial that was nothing more than a glorified coat hanger

Lone
    Lone
    Participant

guvnorgaz wrote:I had an Ondigital box once and it was hooked up to a crappy old set top aerial that was nothing more than a glorified coat hanger

OnDigital? Yeah I remember that, I suppose people who have these boxes are finding it handy as something to keep the draft out.

NaRvIcK DeViL
    NaRvIcK DeViL
    Participant

UK ‘baffled’ by digital TV

More than 80 per cent of the UK population is confused about the switch from analogue to digital TV broadcasts, according to a study.

Analogue signals will be turned off in some regions as early as next year, though residents of London and Northern Ireland won’t have to switch to digital until 2012. The switchover will happen based on which ITV region you are in.

Price comparison service uSwitch surveyed 2,345 adults in the UK and found that the majority were clueless when it came to the digital switchover.

Eighty-three per cent of us don’t know when the signal will be switched from analogue to digital in our region, and nearly 25 per cent of us think we’ll need to buy a new TV set to receive digital broadcasts.

This is, in fact, incorrect, as any TV that has a Scart input will be able to receive broadcasts as long as it is connected to a set-top box. Other ways of receiving digital TV are via a satellite dish, through a cable service, and via a telephone line.

However, only one in six people surveyed could name all four ways of receiving digital TV. Surprisingly, people aged between 18 and 24 were less likely to know this than the over 55s.

uSwitch lays the blame for our ignorance squarely at the government’s door.

“Despite the switchover being a Government initiative, over half the people we surveyed felt that the Government had not done enough to prepare them for the switch, which is staggering considering they announced their digital plan back in September 2005. They have had plenty of time to get the message out,” said Steve Weller of uSwitch.

It is worrying to see that consumers are still baffled as to how and when to switch. The problems and confusion clearly arise in the fact that consumers do not know much about when the switchover will happen, what measures they need to take and how much this will cost them,” .

http://www.digitaltelevision.gov.uk/http://www.digitaltelevision.gov.uk/>

Lone
    Lone
    Participant

When is that article dated from?

Guvnorgaz
    guvnorgaz
    Participant

On Digital was the first of the digital boxes that used a normal aerial

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.