Lukwesa Burak – Q&A

Name?
Lukwesa Burak

Age?
Don’t the world-weary lines give it away….32

Where are you from?
Gosh there’s a story in there but short answer is…born in Zambia many moons ago.

How did you get started in broadcasting?
I was a Broadcast Assistant in the BBC Weather Centre at TVC. Moved to BBC East Midlands Today where I eventually moved on to become the Lunchtime News Anchor and stand-in Co-host for the main evening program

When was that?
Nearly 5 years ago…I think…

Why News broadcasting?
Always something that attracted me, gave it a go, and found I loved it..the rest is history

Where else would have viewers seen or heard you before?
I dread to think!

What is your Best on-air moment?
Not sure if its my best, but certainly memorable…..When I suggested to my co-presenter (who handed me a cut out of himself..long story) something along the lines of “I’ll stroke you gently every night…”he jumped on the opportunity, I died of shame, and ended the show with my head on the desk as I collapsed in a fit of giggles

What is your Worst on-air moment?
My second tv bulletin in the early days….Forgetting the end of my sentence as I came to the end of an adlibbing section of a bulletin…ended on “OH!” and waited for the earth to open up.

What would you like to do before your career ends?
Work for a Childrens charity…get as much publicity for them as possible and hopefully loads of dosh to put to good use.

What do you like to do in your spare time?
Catch-up with housework…..not! Read, gardening, the usual jazz, would love to take-up fencing again…but we’ll see….

What advice would you give to anyone that would like to get into the broadcasting world?
Be nice…never forget rudeness and pushiness will only get you so far, and persevere…what one person doesn’t see in you…another certainly will.

Other Information?
Are you still awake…..?

A big thanks to Lukwesa for taking part.

Posted by on Thursday 21 May 2009
Copy link