You're here: Home - Forums - Sky News - Sky News Ireland – It’s launched!! Login | Register

Sky News Ireland – It’s launched!!

This topic contains 53 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by Mr Byrne Mr Byrne 14 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 54 total)
  • Steven
    Steven
    Participant

Note to Johnnie: please can we keep this topic seperate, I think the other thread is becoming rather large and this would be a good point to start a new one.

So my initial reaction is of disappointment.

I’ve watched a couple of the RTE bullitens, using their website, over the last week. If I lived in Ireland I wouldn’t be convinced that Sky is the place to get my news.

Good points:

Grainne – she looks great, sounds the part, and seems to have journalistic integrity.

Lisa Burke live in Dublin

Use of the Sky News helicopter

Richard Bestic’s report tailored for SNI – very humorous

Ray Kennedy’s report – a Sky exclusive

And bad points:

Technical issues, particularly graphics

The storyfrom Eibhlin – was it really news-worthy?

Eibhlin – yes it may be a little harsh but I’m not a fan

‘Live’ link with Lisa Holland, seemed far too staged and I’m not sure that it was live

Very few stories from Ireland – two stories that featured in the headlines of RTE didn’t figure in the Sky bulliten at all

Grainne didn’t actually move around the studio

Damo
    Damo
    Participant

oh god, typical..

Well im actually LIVING in ireland and i thought the new show was fantastic.How on earth could you be dissapointed on the

FIRST BROADCAST!.

Maybe you should have been consintrating on lissening to the news than trying to pick out the nitty little things like Technical issues

” The storyfrom Eibhlin – was it really news-worthy?”

Of Course it was! , to the people who live There!! The most powerful man in the world is coming within 20 miles of my house!!! , i want to know about it…

“Eibhlin – yes it may be a little harsh but I’m not a fan”

I dont even know where to begin on that one you only saw her for 5 mins!!

” ‘Live’ link with Lisa Holland, seemed far too staged and I’m not sure that it was live “”

….oh god…The man in England knows if the link is live in Dublin??….you can see dublin from your window ya?

Very few stories from Ireland – two stories that featured in the headlines of RTE didn’t figure in the Sky bulliten at all….

Sky news is all about being different , fresh perspective. Different Stories.

“Grainne didn’t actually move around the studio”

Oh sorry , Did you want her presenting climbing the wall and absailing down the side of the building. It’s a 30 min news show. not mush time for moving around.

Im sorry if im sarcastic, but i just get really annoyed when people post such nitty, comments like that.

Sky news Ireland , than you for this new service.

Newsroom
    Newsroom
    Participant

I dont get on with Steven however i do agree partially with him.

I live in Dublin but yes the stories were different but i think an hour long bulletin would be more suitable.

They have extremely limited resouurces and although the copter was dramatic i think its better off in the UK.The live link with lisa was awfully short.

Also,she did move around-behind computers and then beside plasma.

However this is a fresh new vibrant evocative approach to news -much better than boring Anne,Bryan and Una who present the dreary RTE 6.01 and 9 bulletins!

Marks out of ten for 1st broadcast: 7 out of 10

TV3:4out of 10

RTE:6out of 10

Wish it was longer and more reports though.

PS I dont think Lisa lives in Dublin normally she will beam the weather live from LDN!

Steven
    Steven
    Participant

I can quite easily be disappointed after one show. I’m not writing off the whole service. I just think the first show was poor.

Damo I can assure you that I was paying attention to the journalistic content, but the technical difficulties that they were experiencing were a distraction.

The story regarding Bush is weeks away yet, therefore is it news-worthy today?

With regards to the ‘live’ link to Baghdad, my impression was that it wasn’t live.

Sky News is about being different – but it’s basic remit is to provide

news. From what I can tell they didn’t do that well. RTE considers 2 stories important enough to be in their 4 leading stories – Sky didn’t mention these at all! As far as I’m concerned that isn’t good enough.

We were promised in the pre-launch press-release that Grainne would move about the studio. I was pointng out that didn’t really happen.

On the whole I feel I provided a fair and balanced critique, mentioning both the positive and negative. Grainne, Mark Derring, Nick Pollard et al will be doing this to a far greater degree at this moment in time.

Damo
    Damo
    Participant

I I dont think Lisa lives in Dublin normally she will beam the weather live from LDN!

Im sure she dosnt live in Dub normally but she must have flown over for the launch of Sky News Ireland specificly. i REALLY cant imagine how they would do a FAKE live segment.

Steven
    Steven
    Participant

I dont get on with Steven however i do agree partially with him.

PS I dont think Lisa lives in Dublin normally she will beam the weather live from LDN!

I’m disappointed there Newsroom – I thought that we had a healthy ability to debate and disagree!!

Yes I’m aware that Lisa will be based in London, that’s why I mentioned it as a good point – she is good isn’t she?

Damo
    Damo
    Participant

I just think the first show was poor.

To me now , thats just shocking , Are you saying it wasn’t even remotly good? ,

Out of interest Steven , you sound like your from ireland or you have relations here , do you?

Steven
    Steven
    Participant

Out of interest Steven , you sound like your from ireland or you have relations here , do you?

I have relations in Northern Ireland, mother and her family. And I’m considering moving to the Republic. So I’m quite interested in what goes on there.

I can see the signs of a good show, and I’m sure SKy will get it right very soon. I was disappointed, probably because I was expecting so much, it being from Sky News you see.

Damo
    Damo
    Participant

I was disappointed, probably because I was expecting so much, it being from Sky News you see.

I know what you mean , we could go on all night about this, look forward to arguing and debating with you in the near future..

AJ
    AJ
    Participant

I thought the bulletin was good (and yes, I know I’m from wales, but that’s just over the water – easy to get a ferry from Holyhead!)

As for the argument that the first bulletin wasn’t technically good – it does take a week or so to iron out the technical nitty gritty. I liked the use of the different audio beds throughout the show – even noticed the original Sky News beds with the fanfare in them!

As for the relevance of the news, well I wouldn’t really know – but surely if you lived in the area that was being covered, then it would be relevant wouldn’t it – that’s like saying news about London isn’t relevant for me – deal with it – i do.

Nice use of Skycopter, but I feel that the Live from Lisa right at the beginning of the show was a bit pointless – just to say that they’ll have the weather in 25 minutes. Also, I didn’t know that Lisa Burke was a place…

L I V E

LISA BURKE

Anyhoo – my incessant ramblings about nothingness aside, It was a good first show, and a step in the right direction I feel. Would be a nice format for the five bulletins too – quite pacy, but not too rushed.

I wonder if they’re going to launch SN Ireland as a 24 hour service in the future?

Steven
    Steven
    Participant

As for the argument that the first bulleting wasn’t technically good – it does take a week or so to iron out the technical nitty gritty. I liked the use of the different audio beds throughout the show – even noticed the original Sky News beds with the fanfare in them!

Anyhoo – my incessant ramblings about nothingness aside, It was a good first show, and a step in the right direction I feel.  

I wonder if they’re going to launch SN Ireland as a 24 hour service in the future?

I’m sure that the bods producing and directing will be disappointed – they’ve had plenty of time to iron out the difficulties. I wonder how many rehearsal bullitens there have been?

I’m absolutely 100% behind this service and think it gives SKy News an interesting edge.

I can’t imagine that it’ll be launched 24 hours; there’s an interesting article in mediaguardian about this launch and how it’s not there to make money, infact in it’s current state it probably wont make money.

Newsroom
    Newsroom
    Participant

Did you notice at the end of the SNI 7pm bulletin Grainne said”after the break sky news from Dublin”

She should,of course,of said from London

But,we all make mistakes!

Newshound_ie
    newshound_ie
    Participant

Well I suppose it was always going to be difficult for the first Sky News Ireland bulletin to live up to the hype and therefore our expectations.

Overall I thought it was a good but not ‘great’ start to the service.

In general I agree with most of the points made earlier by Steven.

* Look & Feel is good – fits in well with the overall Sky News look.

* Grainne did well – although there were a couple of obvious mistakes, I’m sure they were down to first night nerves. She’s generally very professional.

* The story about Dromoland castle, although I’m sure interesting to many, was far too long for a 30 minute nnews bulletin.

* The ‘link’ with Lisa Holland was strange – seemed to be a massive delay between question & answer.

Wonder how the link to Iraq from Dublin was directed. (via London?).

Later link to Ian Woods in the 10 o’clock bulletin to the U.S. was much better.

* Actually, I feel the 10 o’clock bulletin was already an improvment on the launch one.

My main problem was with the stories covered.

The seven o’clock bulletin seemed to contain very little real ‘new’ Irish news.

There was a lot of the “here’s one I prepared earlier” about it.

Certainly the stories about the Luas service and Dromoland castle seemed to have been prepared a long time in advance.

Were SNI really trying to be different to what RTE, TV3 & TG4 were covering even if that was down to ignoring important stories of the day.

I do think things will improve once they get into the full swing of things. i.e. when they cover ‘real’ Irish news stories of the day.

Once they are covering the latest Elections, court cases, financial scandels, murders, etc, it will feel much more relevent.

Here’s to what I hope to be a long and successful journey for Sky News Ireland.

Best of Luck to them.

Tvcritic
    tvcritic
    Participant

Having watched both bulletins I have to say I was quite impressed. First of all I think its important to compare it to RTE’s 9 O’Clock news or TV3’s 6:30 news rather than comparing to Sky UK or BBC.

It took Sky 30 minutes to show more innovation in news presentation than RTE has in its entire 40+ year history. Use of the helicopter and an outside weather broadcast from central Dublin aswell as the innovative studio and presenting style puts RTE and its massive Licence Fee Budget to shame.

Unfortunately it was a slow news day today in Ireland which meant the Irish stories were not really breaking stories. The Luas, Presidential visit and cross border football stories could have been (and probably were) filmed weeks ago. It will be interesting to see how they handle a big Irish news story that only occurs a couple of hours before broadcast.

It is obvious even after the first night how little resources they are working with – they badly need more Irish based reporters.

Overall presentation and innovation is excellent but content wise RTE is still well ahead (as you would expect them to be). Its a decent start and will get better and better given time and resources. This is only the beginning and its already good.

Gaja
    gaja
    Participant

As a Dumb Assed Englishman I found the Sky News Ireland very interesting and informative-I dont know enough about what matters to our Irish cousins. There’s probably no reason why this programme coudn’t be eventually shown on the main Sky News channel, if not twice a night but once.

On a presentation level

Grainne did a great job but looked a bit scared a times

The graphics lacked sharpness

The studio looks very good, Ive never seen an RTE news prog but I understand its a massive imrovement

Overall nice job.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 54 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.