You're here: Home - Forums - Sky News - Sky News: The Overnights Login | Register

Sky News: The Overnights

This topic contains 65 replies, has 23 voices, and was last updated by Del del 11 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 66 total)
  • Xxx
    xxx
    Participant

I see the overnight team have changed nothin from studio 2.

They sit at their desk for the duration and make no use of the technology.

There are many positions that the presenters stand at in the new studios, so why doesn’t Martin Popplewell and the overnight team make use of them?

Why don’t they use the vast array of technology?

I was hoping for a more alive overnight service but it is same old, same old!

Fusionlad
    fusionlad
    Participant

jonn0boy+Oct 26 2005, 08:10 PM(jonn0boy @ Oct 26 2005, 08:10 PM)

There are many positions that the presenters stand at in the new studios, so why doesn’t Martin Popplewell and the overnight team make use of them?

Overnights isnt going to make use of the full technology- theres hardly any crew (not sure but isnt the overnight presenter on there own, or do they have a floor manager?). Martin can’t operate the cameras and present, so they just stick to the desk.

Dirkyt
    dirkyt
    Participant

jonn0boy+Oct 26 2005, 08:10 PM(jonn0boy @ Oct 26 2005, 08:10 PM)

I really hope that Juliette, Em, Allan and co don’t get strapped to their seats when the weekend shifts begin. All your points are valid for the weekends yet not for overnights.

Glenn
    Glenn
    Participant

I will admit that I am quite the fan of Gordon Radley, in addition to Steve Dixon (I need to write to him because he promised me an autograph!). But I’m rather concerned that the overnights are being done by those that aren’t quite main anchors, but those who nonetheless bear an impact on the daytime schedules of old, like Martin P and Anjali. No disrespect to them but I hope that Michael Watkins and Gordon Radley will still bear an impact on the overnights.

Will Riker
    Will Riker
    Participant

Overnight SKY NEWS now needs a name like

Sky Newswatch

Sky Latenight News

Sky News Overnight

Sky News Now

HBox
    HBox
    Participant

Michael Watkins is apalling, his presenting style is redundant.

Xxx
    xxx
    Participant

Yes, I agree, Michael Watkins is quite appalling, and is void of any personality whatsoever and on the graveyard shift that is not a good thing.

Gordon Radley is exceptionally good and I am disappointed that he has been overtaken by Martin Popplewell and Anjali Rao.

I hope Gordon will be presenting overnights on the weekend or in the next week otherwise I am going to be an Old Bint and write to sky asking why and where is he!

Glenn
    Glenn
    Participant

I’ve seen some of Gordon’s continuity work when he was with TVS, and even now he doesn’t seem to have lost any of his wit or humour. When he did Sky World News a week or so ago he referred to Graham Winch as his ‘supporting star’. lol The man’s a legend. If I don’t see Gordon then I too’ll be writing into Sky.

Fusionlad
    fusionlad
    Participant

Glenn+Oct 28 2005, 05:23 AM(Glenn @ Oct 28 2005, 05:23 AM)

I’ve seen some of Gordon’s continuity work when he was with TVS, and even now he doesn’t seem to have lost any of his wit or humour. When he did Sky World News a week or so ago he referred to Graham Winch as his ‘supporting star’. lol The man’s a legend. If I don’t see Gordon then I too’ll be writing into Sky.

I wonder if its just a case of his shift coming round? `Dont overnight presenters do a few shifts, then they are off for a few days?

Robbbo
    Robbbo
    Participant

They do need to liven up the overnight news. Surely they could use the newswall or at least stand up occasionally and present from a different position in the studio!!

Xxx
    xxx
    Participant

There used to be 3 overnight presenters every week, I hust hope Gordon is on weekend overnights!

Daved2424
    daved2424
    Participant

It costs money to change the overnight format. There is a seriously reduced crew and to have the presenter standing up would mean paying for a camera op.

Imagedude
    imagedude
    Participant

You have to put it into context as well,

How many people watch the overnight news

Does the amount of people warrant a larger sum of money being spent.

Sadly no.

Guvnorgaz
    guvnorgaz
    Participant

i like anjali on through the night

Dirkyt
    dirkyt
    Participant

I am a fan of Anjali – she is wasted on overnights though!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 66 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.