Sky News Ireland

Discussions on news and breaking news events including, BBC News, ITV News, Sky News
Johnnie
Site Admin

Post by Johnnie » Tue Apr 20, 2004 9:30 am

The Irish bulltins are set to go live on Monday 10th May 2004 - 7pm and 10pm.

MM2K

Post by MM2K » Sun Apr 25, 2004 5:11 pm

Here in Dublin,the hype is huge bout the new sky news.

Grainne is great -u uk ppl will love her!

75%of Ireland receive SKY NEWS already and it is popular only for international news.

Hopefully this will change.

Also Juliette Foster and Emma Crosby rockm and wud work great 2gether!

Barrynews!!

Tommo

Post by Tommo » Sun May 02, 2004 4:18 am

Yes, the very first live transmission from the Dublin Studios has just aired shortly after eight this morning.

Adam mentioned in his report the fact he was making history as the first ever live broadcast fron the Irish studio, as well as plugging the upcoming service.

Studio is semi circular, with a large plasma,and light blue walls as well as a large rectangular image running along the background.

There is a dark red band with the Sky News Ireland logo running along on the background also.

Sorry I have no facilities to take screenshots although I did manage to save it in my Sky+box

So there we go!!!

Johnnie
Site Admin

Post by Johnnie » Sun May 02, 2004 7:19 am

Sunday with Adam Boulton came from the new Ireland studio.

Steven

Post by Steven » Mon May 03, 2004 3:40 pm

So I was wondering. It's perfectly feasible that the top 3 stories, for the Irish audience, on any given day, could be the same as the Sky News UK output. SNUK will therefore already have reports, probably from top notch correspondents, running.

So does SNI take those reports, the are obviously of high production, editorial and journalistic skill and content. The ordinary Joe in Ireland who's tuning in to try SNI, particularly in the early days, isn't going to be too impressed; they'll think that it's just SNUK with an Irish presenter. How are the editorial staff going to deal with this? Use the same packages with voice-overs from the SNI correspondents/reporters? Switch the running order, surely not?

Perhaps some of the guys on this forum who are from Ireland could let us know how often stories of an International, or even UK, flavour feature as the top stories (specific examples would be good) and therefore how often the scenario I presented above would be a reality.

Newsroom

Post by Newsroom » Mon May 03, 2004 5:43 pm

No there are PLENTY of Irish only stories that UK ppl would not be interested--Irish govt,killings,etc,etc these will definetly be on as ther are 3 reporters and then take some stuff from UK.

Also,were u suggesting that Irish reporters arent of high journalistic content?? I can tell u they are.

Steven

Post by Steven » Mon May 03, 2004 5:56 pm

No there are PLENTY of Irish only stories that UK ppl would not be interested--Irish govt,killings,etc,etc these will definetly be on as ther are 3 reporters and then take some stuff from UK.

Also,were u suggesting that Irish reporters arent of high journalistic content?? I can tell u they are.

Well, let me deal with your second point. Lisa Holland, in Baghdad, is better placed to provide a more authorititve report than Ray Kennedy in Dublin.

Andrew Wilson can provide a more comprehensive report than Brian Daly at the Dublin bereau.

What I'm saying with reference to your first point is that I'm sure that there are plenty of Ireland only interest stories. However, there must be occasions where the big stories of the day will be dominated by international events and therefore the Sky News (not specific to SNUK or SNI) correspondents will provide reports.

Lastly, if you were to look at my previous posts you'll see that I'm quite keen and interested to see this bulliten. I see it as quite an important development for Sky News. This particular thread was not intended to be hostile, I'm sure if you were to read it again you would see that.

I have many more points to make on this development, but will wait until after the launch.

Newsroom

Post by Newsroom » Mon May 03, 2004 6:06 pm

Steven my understanding is that Brian Daly and Eibhlin and Ray will be reoporting on IRISH STORIES in IRELAND!

iNTERnational stories will be covered normally as they are now!

As far as i know but we will find out in more detail on May 10th.

PS Steven if you want to see good journalistic work Charlie Bird and Margaret Ward are certainly as good as Emma Hurd.

Steven

Post by Steven » Tue May 04, 2004 7:19 am

Steven my understanding is that Brian Daly and Eibhlin and Ray will be reoporting on IRISH STORIES in IRELAND!

iNTERnational stories will be covered normally as they are now!

So further to that point then. If it happens that on a praticular day there is alot of international stories, we could see the first 3 reports on SNI being from Sky's international correspondents, therfore creating the impression amongst ordinary Joe in Ireland that SNI is just Sky News with an Irish presenter.

Steven

Post by Steven » Tue May 04, 2004 12:45 pm

PS Steven if you want to see good journalistic work Charlie Bird and Margaret Ward are certainly as good as Emma Hurd.

I couldn't possibly deny that. I don't have a clue who either of those 2 are.