Sky News Ireland

Discussions on news and breaking news events including, BBC News, ITV News, Sky News
Newsroom

Post by Newsroom » Tue May 04, 2004 6:21 pm

Thats Eiblin Ni Chongaile who will be in the West Of Ireland bureau.

Cheers for that Johnnie!

Ill look 4 a Grainne picture/

Steven

Post by Steven » Wed May 05, 2004 8:54 am

To clarify for steven-yes rte have good international resources however SNUK have excellent resources and therefore most ppl wud tune into SNUK for major news!

Newsroom you clearly are missing the sentiment of my points. I can assure you that I'm not intentionally trying to annoy you.

I will continue.

Now I think a useful comparison here would be that of ITN and RTE. Sky doesn't have a particularly stronger international theme than ITN. From what I can gather from your posts (albeit reading between the anger) Sky News' agenda is slightly more of an international theme than RTEs. Is this true?

So back to one of my earlier questions - Is the reason why RTE doesn't focus on more international stories simply because they don't have the resources or that the Irish public doesn't have the appetite?

One story that Sky are featuring today is the horrific paedophile court case from France that Colin Brazier is reporting on. Does that feature on the RTE bulletins today? I find it hard to believe that the Irish people wouldn't be interested to hear about that. Why would British viewers be any more interested to hear it?

Newsroom

Post by Newsroom » Wed May 05, 2004 10:07 am

(1) Steven sorry for being rude-im stressed out wit my exams in June!

(2) RTE is our national broadcaster and would be like the BBC

(3)Yes of course international stories feature and would be in the top 4 headlines HOWEVER here are RTE's international resources

(a)Washington correspondent,based in DC

(b)London Editor,based in London

©European editor based in Brussels

(d)European correspondent travels around Europe,I understand being based in Brussels

(e) Foreign Correspondents BASED IN DUBLIN(!!)

However they have been to Basra/Baghdad/Jerusalem/Tallinn/etc/etc/whereever the news is and there is normally 1 person there-however not always.

RTE would not have half the resources as BBC or SkyNewsUK and would usually report on the stories from Ireland.

(4)To clarify,RTE have good resources-not verygood,not excellent,not brilliant-good! Unlike SNUK,EXCELLENT resources

(5) Take an example,if something major in say,Iran,happens 2moro Sky would have a correspondent/reporter ther in ASAP---RTE might not bother or cud take a while to move

(6)However RTE's journalists are of a very high standard and are(without a shadow of a doubt) better than the 3 journalists Sky News IRELAND have on board.....Comparing Ray Kennedy and Charlie Bird(he is from RTE-used 2wrk wit RAY) is like comparing chalk with cheese(although of course,Ray is a very good reporter)

(7) The horrific court case was not on the main bulletin @6.01 today

(8)10 of the 12 stories featured wer home news-this is not always the case

Steven,I hope im clear -more info on RTE,their bulletins,what was on there bulletins can be found on w http://www.rte.ie/news">http://www.rte.ie/news> w

Newsroom

Post by Newsroom » Wed May 05, 2004 10:49 am

O and Steven earlier I was being defensive as i found u v.annoying+Patronising.

Re-reading ur comments i was wrong-sorry!

Mea culpa,mea culpa,mea maxima culpa!

Steven

Post by Steven » Thu May 06, 2004 6:42 am

Well thanks for the link newsroom; I've taken a look and indeed watched snippets of the Six One bulletin.

My initial impression is that there is quite a bit of focus on international news. For example in this evenings news (Wednesday) 2 out of the top 4 stories were distinctly international. Another had an Ireland in Europe theme.

On the bombings in Athens, RTE had managed to get the fella O'Donoghue (I forget his first name) on the scene to provide a live one-to-one.

Another question has come to me now in relation to the new Sky News Ireland bulletin.

What exactly is the objective of this bulletin? Is it that Joe Ireland viewer can watch the half hour show and get a round up of all their news, or will they have to watch it in conjuction with a SNUK show to get a full flavour of all news?

I don't know if you watch the local news provided by UTV or BBC NI. They tend to be shows that are dedicated to local news or news that directly impacts on the local area. However a story about parliment (in London) that does affect the people of NI will feature on ITV Evening News but may not be seen on UTV. A story about the NI Assembly will appear on the ITV news but will also feature on UTV News.

RTE provides a show that is an amalgamation of ITV and UTV. Is Sky planning on doing that or are they providing the UTV element?

I wonder if the fact that the Ireland beraeu is quite under manned provides a clue to this. (The Ireland Bureau has fewer correspondents than the North of England Bureau)

Side bar: I think it's abit unrealistic to compare RTE to BBC. The BBC is an organisation that is respected and admired the whole world through. Again I don't intend to offend RTE but they are not any thing like the BBC. Sky aren't anywhere near the BBC!

eagleeye

Post by eagleeye » Thu May 06, 2004 10:15 am

[quote RTE-RTE tends to be dreary and boring and focus on the over 40s

OI OI OI!! Strange but true: there's life after 40. In fact, sometimes it's a bit too exciting.

A pox on your Guinness for such an ageist remark.

barty

Post by barty » Thu May 06, 2004 1:27 pm

Will today's press confrence for SNI be on SNUK?

Johnnie
Site Admin

Post by Johnnie » Thu May 06, 2004 1:36 pm

http://skynewsforums.co.uk/fileuploader/file/grainneOnSet2_270.jpg

A preview of the new set revealed a fresh look and approach to nightly news bulletins with anchor Gr?inne Seoige presenting from around the studio rather than from behind a desk.

The Irish team of correspondents has already been covering stories for the award-winning 24-hour news channel ? including reporting on the nationwide smoking ban and the official EU enlargement ceremony in Phoenix Park.

Gr?inne Seoige, Sky News Ireland anchor, said: ?The set is modern and bold, and I?ll be able to move around the studio ? it?s a very different look to how the news has been presented in Ireland to date. We?re looking forward to the first live broadcast on Monday ? it?s all systems go!?

Newsroom

Post by Newsroom » Thu May 06, 2004 1:48 pm

Steven,

UTV and BBCNI news would not generally be watched by ppl in the republic-mainly the North(UK area).

Also,Tony O'Donoghue is the sports editor and is only in athens for a couple of days.

I was comparing RTE and BBC because they are both government run!

Obviously BBC is a million times better!

However in Ireland the audience still relies on RTE.

PS- RTEs most popular bulletin is at 9oclock-ppl would not(generally speaking watch 6.01-although RTE wud like to think they wud)

AJ

Post by AJ » Thu May 06, 2004 3:03 pm

here's another picture:

http://www.skypublicity.co.uk/images/nirl160/skyNewsIrelandTeam_160.jpg

and there's now a Sky News Ireland Section on the publicity site: http://www.skypublicity.co.uk/skynewsirl.asphttp://www.skypublicity.co.uk/skynewsirl.asp>

Looks like they're going to launch a "behind the scenes" section if you have a look!