Sky News Ireland

Discussions on news and breaking news events including, BBC News, ITV News, Sky News
AJ

Post by AJ » Thu May 06, 2004 3:09 pm

also looks like Sky are launching a new skynews website for Ireland

http://www.skynews.iehttp://www.skynews.ie

WHOIS Info:

domain: skynews.ie

descr: British Sky Broadcasting Limited

descr: BODY CORPORATE (LTD,PLC,COMPANY)

Newsroom

Post by Newsroom » Thu May 06, 2004 4:28 pm

Sky News Ireland reveals Gr?inne?s new studio set

- Sky digital viewers to get best from new service

Sky News Ireland today (Thursday 6 May, 2004) unveiled details of its twice-nightly bulletins at a press briefing in Dublin, including the new studio set design.

Sky News? dedicated Irish news service, which will broadcast from a specially created state-of-the-art studio located centrally in Dublin, goes live on Monday, 10 May at 7pm.

A preview of the new set revealed a fresh look and approach to nightly news bulletins with anchor Gr?inne Seoige presenting from around the studio rather than from behind a desk.

The Irish team of correspondents has already been covering stories for the award-winning 24-hour news channel ? including reporting on the nationwide smoking ban and the official EU enlargement ceremony in Phoenix Park.

Gr?inne Seoige, Sky News Ireland anchor, said: ?The set is modern and bold, and I?ll be able to move around the studio ? it?s a very different look to how the news has been presented in Ireland to date. We?re looking forward to the first live broadcast on Monday ? it?s all systems go!?

Steve Bennedik, Launch Editor, Sky News Ireland, said: ?We kick-off with the biggest stories of the day ? whether domestic or international. We then move on to stories filed from the team of correspondents across the country. We?ll use Sky News? team of correspondents around the globe for live interviews with Gr?inne ? whether it?s Middle East Correspondent Emma Hurd providing an update on the situation in the Gaza strip or Political Editor Adam Boulton in London, analysing the impact of EU expansion. Business, sport and entertainment are all covered, before crossing to Lisa Burke for the Irish weather forecast.?

Nick Pollard, Head of Sky News, said: ?We?ve made a significant investment in the new purpose-built studio in Dublin. In addition, we have opened a West of Ireland bureau and recruited a first-rate team of correspondents and video-journalists. We have an established bureau in Belfast and this, coupled with our strengthened newsgathering resources, will beef up our coverage of Irish affairs for Sky News to provide a fresh and compelling nightly news service.?

Mark Deering, Director, Sky Ireland, said: ?The launch of this service highlights the company?s commitment to Ireland. Sky provides a first-class service to its subscribers and these nightly bulletins underline that commitment.?

Sky News Ireland will broadcast live twice-nightly Monday ? Friday at 7pm and 10pm. A ?Review of the Week? will air at 7pm and 10pm on Saturday and Sunday. Over two-thirds of all households in Ireland will receive the new Sky News service via cable/MMDS or satellite.

Viewers with Sky digital will get the best from this service with a continuous loop of the programme available from 7.30pm (updated at 10.30pm) throughout the night via Sky News Active by pressing the red button on the remote control. One in four homes in Ireland (315,000 homes) and 6.6 million homes in the UK have access to this service.

SkyFanIreland

Post by SkyFanIreland » Thu May 06, 2004 4:57 pm

Was at the launch press conference this morning

It's all shaping up to be great!

We'll even forgve them for putting Dublin in the wrong place on the map in the advert!

Newsroom

Post by Newsroom » Thu May 06, 2004 5:03 pm

Where abouts in Dublin is the news studio and office-i heard its very centrally located?

Wow what was the conference like-any good?

SkyFanIreland

Post by SkyFanIreland » Thu May 06, 2004 7:17 pm

Where abouts in Dublin is the news studio and office-i heard its very centrally located?

Wow what was the conference like-any good?

Very centrally located just off St Stephen's Green on Harcourt Street beside the Conrad Hotel - 5 mins from Dail (our Parliament), 10 from the Four Courts (Old Bailey) and generally near everything...

Conference was ok - a few radio and newspaper journalists - TV crews stayed away

Showed mock up of a bulletin and a 3 minute promo which revealed the people and most of the set...

The set is very different to what it looked like even on Boulton last Sunday but that area will be used a lot with Grainne standing by the Plasma screen (a bit like the 9 O'Clock News when Jeremey used to do that special bulletin.)

She'll also be standing in the Newsroom a bit like Sky News Today, but Dublin doesn't have a newswall or at least we didn't get a glimpse of any!!!

Newsroom

Post by Newsroom » Thu May 06, 2004 8:29 pm

If its beside the CONRAD HOTEL then it is on Earlsfort Terrace and NOT Harcourt Street.

Is there a LUAS line running down the street-if not it is Earlsfort Terrace(that has Conrad Hotel).

If there is a luas line that is Harcourt Street -which does not have the conrad on it!

Johnnie
Site Admin

Post by Johnnie » Fri May 07, 2004 3:20 pm

http://skynewscentre.co.uk/Ireland/Staff.asphttp://skynewscentre.co.uk/Ireland/Staff.asp>

Will be updated on Monday.

newspig

Post by newspig » Sat May 08, 2004 12:40 am

They're based at Alexandra House at the Earlsfort Centre which also homes Embassies, Music Organisations, Government Agencies and Departments, a Tribunal, Banks etc.

So its a big building, heh they won't need to go far for some of their news anyways!

SkyFanIreland

Post by SkyFanIreland » Sat May 08, 2004 3:00 pm

Apologies about the street name mix-up. Yes it is Earlsfort Terrace. I was typing the message in such a hurry I wasn't thinking correctly......

Steven

Post by Steven » Sun May 09, 2004 2:10 pm

Well I've got to tell you, I'm quite excited about the big launch tomorrow evening. I'm just gutted that I'll have to wait until 7.30 to be able to see it.