Sky News Relaunch

Discussions on news and breaking news events including, BBC News, ITV News, Sky News
lakewood

Post by lakewood » Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:03 pm

Guardian's Monkey

Sky's spending spree fails to impress

Two weeks into the multi-million pound revamp at Sky News and its new big-name signings are yet to translate into audiences. Monkey hears that, last week, ratings for Sunrise - the breakfast show co-hosted by former GMTV presenter Eamonn Holmes - averaged 40,000 viewers, down 11,000 on the same time last year. Come on Eamonn, work that breakfast magic! Meanwhile, the award for worst autocue reader in the world must go to James Rubin, the former Clinton aide who now presents Sky's hour of "inner-nesh-naal noos" - whatever that is. You would have thought he would be better prepared - he is after all married to CNN superstar Christiane Amanpour.

Fighting talk

Fedoras doffed to Sky News - Monkey's channel of the week. Despite the long-for-a-short-man shadow of major shareholder and News International boss Rupert Murdoch hanging round the BSkyB Osterley hangar on Thursday, the rolling news channel boldly broke the new that one of his editors, Rebekah Wade - or Sideshow, Bob as she is sometimes known - had been put in chokey following a spot of marital disharmony with Grant out of Eastenders. Obviously wanting to put the icing on the scoop cake, the channel's 11.30pm round-up of the newspapers had hauled in a pundit to discuss the events of the day Camilla Wright, editor of gossip message board Popbitch. Now we know what you're thinking: "Popbitch has an EDITOR?" - in a pressurised job like that presumably her skills at infusing Assam are second to none. But for BSkyB to find someone who had spent all day publishing unspeakable and probably untrue filth about a News International employee to provide comment on the story was pure genius. The only moment of panic set in when Ms Wright alluded to some of her output by saying: "There are of course loads of rumours about what the fight might have been about....." at which point anchor Chris Roberts spluttered 'Err but THAT's when the special lawyer telephone goes off on my desk...so let's not discuss that!'" Not, let's not.

sky.dub

Post by sky.dub » Thu Nov 10, 2005 2:40 pm

I dislike the new time of the weather at 58 minute past the hour, consequently ending the hour of news at 54 past. I preferred the former routine of having the weather just before the end of the hour. Now it looks like the hour ends at 54 past, while the other news channels continue on until 57. I hope they change it back.

Johnnie
Site Admin

Post by Johnnie » Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:19 pm

The 'Sky Report' will be presented from Westminster tonight

tippguy

Post by tippguy » Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:26 pm

I think the 58 minute weather report is a good idea because if someone is watching itv, bbc etc. and it ends at 57 and they switch to sky they are starting the preview of the next hour. and if the preview is any way good you'd watch it.

mickey

Post by mickey » Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:28 pm

For me the overall new format is an improvement. EXCEPT the Breakfast show - the gibbering Irishman should shut-up and give the other presenters a chance. The continuity of following the News, Weather & Sport is ruined by his constant interruption - it's rude and annoying.

I find I'm selecting Skynews Active or BBC News 24 for my Breakfast info digest

Mickey

sky.dub

Post by sky.dub » Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:31 pm

Sky News was well behind BBC News 24 and even ITV News with Tony Blair's reaction to the commons vote defeat

Dazza93

Post by Dazza93 » Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:46 am

sky.dub+Nov 10 2005, 10:57 AM(sky.dub @ Nov 10 2005, 10:57 AM)

Sky News was well behind BBC News 24 and even ITV News with Tony Blair's reaction to the commons vote defeat

What are you on about they had the first interview with Blair well before the BBC & just before ITV

Johnnie
Site Admin

Post by Johnnie » Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:58 am

I think the BBC was first, then ITV News, well they should've been, because that was the order they went into interview Tony..

In a case like this it doesn't matter who was first, the govt calls the news networks in one by one and it normally goes in the order of BBC, ITV then Sky and so on..

Dazza93

Post by Dazza93 » Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:29 pm

I appreciate that Johnny but I'm certain Sky broadcast theirs first...I was swapping between channels during the whole of the 90 day debacle & ITV started their playout of the interview just after Sky with the BBC well after that

sky.dub

Post by sky.dub » Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:06 pm

Carl+Nov 10 2005, 05:47 PM(Carl @ Nov 10 2005, 05:47 PM)

I appreciate that Johnny but I'm certain Sky broadcast theirs first...I was swapping between channels during the whole of the 90 day debacle & ITV started their playout of the interview just after Sky with the BBC well after that

BBC WERE first with the interview and i think it was a pooled interview, but im not 100 per cent certain on that. Sky were third...