Sky News Relaunch

Discussions on news and breaking news events including, BBC News, ITV News, Sky News
Johnnie
Site Admin

Post by Johnnie » Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:07 pm

What do you mean? Do you mean is he still on Sky? If so he finished his shift 6 minutes before you posted...

Johnnie
Site Admin

Post by Johnnie » Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:08 pm

Paula doing 12-5 with Allan today.

AJ

Post by AJ » Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:24 pm

Ok - now we've had the new look for a good while now, I think I'll add my 2p.

Overall, I'm quite impressed.

Good points

- The size of the studio is just great

- Sunrise is much better

- Appointment to view is a good idea

- Sky News Active is a lot faster

- Less on-screen clutter

- Nicer astons

- Fantastic theme tune and beds

- Jeremy's Blog - great idea.

- World News Tonight - another great programme

- Saturday Live - great.

Bad Points

- Is it really necessary to have a whole hour of a programme - why not put the appointment to view programming in the latter half of an hour, and have a news roundup in the first half?

- The opening title sequence is going to become very dated very quickly - seeing the same people, shuffling the same bits of paper and nodding the same way, every hour, on the hour. Bring back a big swoop around the globe please.

- 3 presenter Sky News Today. OK I suppose, BUT why not rotate the presenters a bit - for example have one presenter only doing the news roundups for an hour, and the other two doing the main in-depth stuff - then rotate around, and have a different presenter of the three doing the news, and the other two doing the in-depth stuff. Having all 3 on at once is a bit much to comprehend at times.

- The logo - far too tabloid-esque for my liking. Bring back a rejigged version of the old one.

- The Breaking News animation on the newswall. What was wrong with the old one? It's a trademark surely? If you saw that on the newswall, you knew it was Sky News. The new one just isn't as distinctive somehow.

- Where are all the journalists? I thought the whole point of this relaunch was to make the studio a part of the newsroom. 10 desks that are hardly ever used in front of the newswall is hardly putting the studio in the newsroom. I want to see more people making the news in the background.

- The rotating desk. Why? Ok - it varies the backdrop - but I don't think it varies it enough - it is only ever in 1 of 3 positions - when there's 360 degrees to use!

- Programme structure. Less chit chat please. It worked fantastically when the presenter linked to the sport and the sports presenter linked to the weather. It added pace and urgency to the programme. Now we have a chat around the sport and a chat around the weather. Is all this chat really necessary?

- Your Views, Your Views, Your Views, Your Views, Yo.... OK WE GET THE FLAMING POINT - you want to know what we think - which is nice, but to be honest I don't need reminding to email you every five minutes. If I want to raise my point about a subject I wont. I don't anymore, because I keep feeling forced into doing it.

- Jeremy needs a co-anchor. He's just not as good on his own in a general bulletin. He's great covering just one story on his own in depth (e.g. George Best death last week) - but when it comes to presenting a 1hr:30 bulletin, he just seems clumsy.

- More Co-anchors please. The programmes are a bit lifeless with only one presenter. There's no banter any more. In the olden days, Sky News was all about being relaxed and fun whilst retaining a certain gravitas. The presenters worked well. It's not the case any more. The banter on Sky News Today often seems forced. What exactly has happened? Pair up the presenters please. Isn't it obvious that Jamie Rubin needs somebody to hold his hand - he's just a clumsy newsreader on his own.

- Sky News Active minor niggle. The Vote that pops up when you launch cloggs things up a bit. Sometimes I just want to select a video quickly - I cannot do this when the vote pops up after a few seconds - I'll be in the middle of selecting something and all of a sudden I'm going online voting yes to 90 day custody - when I certainly don't want to!

OK - so that was more than 2p - but once I started, I couldn't seem to stop!

sky.dub

Post by sky.dub » Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:51 pm

Emma, Angely, and Ginny are presenting sky news today 2-5..

HOWIE

Post by HOWIE » Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:06 pm

I liked Sky News Today with Emma & Angelina but please get rid of Ginny !

Johnnie
Site Admin

Post by Johnnie » Sat Dec 03, 2005 7:09 am

Right, a member of the Sky Report team covering for Julie tonight, Colin Brazier.

HOWIE

Post by HOWIE » Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:20 pm

HELLO THER, WHY IS THE SKY NEWS WEBSITE NOT GETTING UPDATED SUCH AS THE PRESENTERS HAZEL'S PICTURE HASNT BEEN UPDATED LIKE PAULA'S TOO, PLUS IN THE REPORTERS & CORRESPONDENTS PICTURE ARE NOT GETTING UPDATED COME ON PLEASE !

HOWIE

Post by HOWIE » Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:22 pm

I SEE EMMA, ANNA & MARTIN WAS PRESENTING SKY NEWS TODAY BETWEEN 9&12

daved2424

Post by daved2424 » Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:23 pm

HOWIE+Dec 2 2005, 09:23 PM(HOWIE @ Dec 2 2005, 09:23 PM)

I SEE EMMA, ANNA & MARTIN WAS PRESENTING SKY NEWS TODAY BETWEEN 9&12

Did you also see youre caps lock appears to be stuck at on?

greeny

Post by greeny » Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:28 pm

The whole thing is messed up. Martin Popplewell and Paula were on this morning and due to the funeral coverage, Saturday Live is cancelled, though Martin S was on Live At Five all week.