James Rubin - World News Tonight

Discussions on news and breaking news events including, BBC News, ITV News, Sky News
squareeyes

Post by squareeyes » Fri Oct 28, 2005 4:51 am

Well I certainly have no problem with him being American....the point I am trying to make is that he may have the biggest political brain in the world....he may have been an advisor to Clinton...he may be married to CNN's Christiane Amampour...but that doesn't mean he can read an autocue without looking terrified...which i'm afraid is exactly how he looks at the moment.

But....it might be worth remembering that news god Jeremy Thompson had a similar petrified look about him when he was brought back from Washington...and look at HIM now!...so there's hope for Mr Rubin yet!

xxx

Post by xxx » Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:16 am

I just can't see him pulling it off.

He isn't cut for it.

It is not that he is American and I dont like wrongful accusations being thrown! he is just utterly tragic, in every sense of the word.

I hope he gets better, but I cant see it.

It is a great programme, but James is just not very good at doing it.

guvnorgaz

Post by guvnorgaz » Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:25 am

i wasnt havin a go at him for being american,just that we dont need an american view on our news,if u watch cbs news when its on sky during the night they never mention britain unless it involves the americans and yet all we seem to worry about are the yanks and their opinions

squareeyes

Post by squareeyes » Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:48 am

"The Yanks" as you call them are the worlds only super power...therefore thieir views are important to us all. In particular, a former advisor to the "Yanks" President should have a fascinating insight, BUT, he isn't a good presenter YET...but with only one thousand viewers...the Murdoch empire will be looking for improvements FAST.

As for CBS...they do in fact have quite a few stories from Britain...considering we are a small island off of the coast of Europe...I think we do pretty well...at the risk of getting off topic, the most interesting thing about the CBS Evening News is why do they have that little 'ol man presenting it?...he's not exactly Huw Edwards is he?

Robbbo

Post by Robbbo » Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:16 pm

What an awful programme. In my opinion, Sky have made a big mistake with this show/ presenter!

dirkyt

Post by dirkyt » Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:57 pm

I can't say I've taken to "Jamie" either.

I am tempted to point towards Tim Marshall as an excellent presenter for this slot...yet he is equally as good as an on scene correspondent (even though his title is foreign affairs editor) He'd also have the background and knowledge to do the job justice.

guvnorgaz

Post by guvnorgaz » Fri Oct 28, 2005 4:38 pm

im gettin tired of him always findin a way of mentioning he was a clinton employee and then laughing smuggly.as for america being the worlds only super power,they arent so super as they rely on the rest of the world to provide them with oil

Mr Byrne

Post by Mr Byrne » Sat Oct 29, 2005 2:31 am

im gettin tired of him always findin a way of mentioning he was a clinton employee and then laughing smuggly.as for america being the worlds only super power,they arent so super as they rely on the rest of the world to provide them with oil

so, what you're saying is - you don't like him because he's American? - right, well that kind of proves what I said in the beginning. I think its a little bit racist.

(by the way, america has huge oil reserves in response to your information on oil).

Getting back to this, I want to point this web-site out for you:

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,31100-13451622,00.htmlhttp://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,31100-13451622,00.html>

Just a concise journalistic kind of CV for you.

As I said, I think he's a great presenter, he knows his stuff, he asks the right questions. Long may World News Tonight continue.

And as for ratings, I don't want to doubht the credability of Johnn0boy, but your figure that he's only getting a thousand viewers, - would you care to post a like to where you got these figures from? I'd be very curious to see the figures as I'd say the guy got more than a thousand viewers in Ireland alone, lets see the figures you're talking about and we can see how the other shows are doing too and how much of the market Sky was holding at that particular time. I'm always very interested in TV News ratings, do post a link and lets audit them

daved2424

Post by daved2424 » Sat Oct 29, 2005 3:07 am

If there are 60 000 000 million people in the UK and the average person watches TV for 171 minutes per day and Sky News has an audience share of 0.53% then you can calculate that at any one time Sky News has on average 37 500 viewers.

"Sky News new morning show Sunrise, presented by... Eammon Holmes and Lorna Dunkley, increased its audience by 6000 viewers from the past four weeks to average 48 000 (2.06%)".

Hope this helps.

Sources National Statistics Office and Broadcast

xxx

Post by xxx » Sat Oct 29, 2005 6:05 am

If you look further than your own ego Mr. Byrne, you will see I didnt post a specific figure, I took a figure from a previous post, I would assume it is correct, as there is no reason for someone to lie.

So before you get on your high horse, I suggest you read the whole thread!