James Rubin - World News Tonight

Discussions on news and breaking news events including, BBC News, ITV News, Sky News
xxx

Post by xxx » Sat Oct 29, 2005 7:20 am

And for extra clarification on the above statement i give you, audience ratings:

Enjoy,

http://www.media247.co.uk/skydigital/news.phphttp://www.media247.co.uk/skydigital/news.php>

Thank you to Squareeyes!

calciofan

Post by calciofan » Sat Oct 29, 2005 7:22 am

media247+(media247)

sizeo:4/sizeoBBC News 24 ratings remain ahead of Sky Newssizec/sizec

October 27 2005

Despite the new-look, Sky News is still behind BBC News 24 in terms of ratings.

Breakfast show, Sunrise, fronted by new presenter Eamonn Holmes and Lorna Dunkley saw a rise of 6,000 viewers on their predecessor.

At 7pm, The Sky Report with Julie Etchingham increased share by 15% and averaged 31,000 viewers.

Then at 8pm James Rubin's World News Tonight increased share by 145% with 49,000 tuning in.

Overall, the pattern was the same as before the re-launch, with Sky beating News 24 in the morning, then the BBC's station pulling away in the afternoon.

According to BBC figures, the reach for News 24 yesterday was 1.6 million - 200,000 more viewers than Sky News, which won 1.4 million.

Nick Pollard, head of Sky News, said: "We're delighted to be on air from our new centre and have seen a terrific start to our new schedule. The feedback has been fantastic and the programmes are delivering strong content."

media247+(media247)

sizeo:4/sizeoViewers switch from Rubin's new showsizec/sizec

October 28 2005

Sky News' new show with James Rubin attracted just 1,000 viewers for half an hour on Tuesday night.

World News Tonight with James Rubin at 8pm is one of Sky News' new shows as part of the revamped programme line-up.

On Tuesday night, the show averaged just 5,000 viewers across the hour from 8pm, and attracted only 1,000 between 8.15pm and 8.45pm.

On Tuesday evening, BBC News 24 was watched by an average of 22,750 viewers between 8pm and 9pm.

Overall, News 24 has averaged 39,500 viewers between in the hour from 8pm over the first three days of this week.

News 24 is also ahead in the hour from 7pm, when the BBC channel's News 24 Tonight show is up against The Sky Report with Julie Etchingham - another new show.

So far this week, News 24 Tonight is averaging 80,250 viewers, while The Sky Report is on 32,250.

Overall, the pattern was the same as before the re-launch, with Sky beating News 24 in the morning, then the BBC's station pulling away in the afternoon.

^ These figures don't sound good!

guvnorgaz

Post by guvnorgaz » Sat Oct 29, 2005 7:53 am

Mr Byrne+Oct 28 2005, 10:24 PM(Mr Byrne @ Oct 28 2005, 10:24 PM)

im gettin tired of him always findin a way of mentioning he was a clinton employee and then laughing smuggly.as for america being the worlds only super power,they arent so super as they rely on the rest of the world to provide them with oil

so, what you're saying is - you don't like him because he's American? - right, well that kind of proves what I said in the beginning. I think its a little bit racist.

(by the way, america has huge oil reserves in response to your information on oil).

Getting back to this, I want to point this web-site out for you:

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,31100-13451622,00.htmlhttp://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,31100-13451622,00.html>

Just a concise journalistic kind of CV for you.

As I said, I think he's a great presenter, he knows his stuff, he asks the right questions. Long may World News Tonight continue.

And as for ratings, I don't want to doubht the credability of Johnn0boy, but your figure that he's only getting a thousand viewers, - would you care to post a like to where you got these figures from? I'd be very curious to see the figures as I'd say the guy got more than a thousand viewers in Ireland alone, lets see the figures you're talking about and we can see how the other shows are doing too and how much of the market Sky was holding at that particular time. I'm always very interested in TV News ratings, do post a link and lets audit them

I dont see British presenters working on American news channels to give a British perspective of American news and the reason for that is the Americans dont care what we think about their news and we dont care about the opinion of this guy Rubin.I want to hear the news,not the opinion of some American.

And on your point about oil reserves,the Americans dont have as much oil as they make out otherwise they wouldnt be looking to start wars with every Arab nation.They will be up for invading Iran next as they have oil,just like Iraq,North Korea are pushing ahead with its nuclear program just like the Iranians but the Americans wont be bothering with them as they dont sit on huge oil reserves.

squareeyes

Post by squareeyes » Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:17 pm

but your figure that he's only getting a thousand viewers, - would you care to post where you got these figures from?

I think in Ireland we could probably name the viewers....Mr O'Toole in Galway, Mrs Flynn in Kilkenny and the Gilhooley Family in Dublin. ...It would probably be better if Sky just sent them a tape of the show.

gsf

Post by gsf » Sat Oct 29, 2005 2:24 pm

squareeyes+Oct 29 2005, 07:07 AM(squareeyes @ Oct 29 2005, 07:07 AM)

but your figure that he's only getting a thousand viewers, - would you care to post where you got these figures from?

I think in Ireland we could probably name the viewers....Mr O'Toole in Galway, Mrs Flynn in Kilkenny and the Gilhooley Family in Dublin. ...It would probably be better if Sky just sent them a tape of the show.

Oh how wonderfully patronising.

By the way, there are British reporters & presenters on US tv news. For starters one would be Martin Bashir.

HBox

Post by HBox » Sat Oct 29, 2005 6:58 pm

I don't think it really matters which country they originate from, as ong as they can speak fluently.

Mr Byrne

Post by Mr Byrne » Sat Oct 29, 2005 8:32 pm

think in Ireland we could probably name the viewers....Mr O'Toole in Galway, Mrs Flynn in Kilkenny and the Gilhooley Family in Dublin. ...It would probably be better if Sky just sent them a tape of the show.

That's not very nice. Eitherway, you never included me in those ratings.

I think in all fairness, you should really take on board this part of the article, which you innocently forgot to highlight:

and...

News 24 is also ahead in the hour from 7pm, when the BBC channel's News 24 Tonight show is up against The Sky Report with Julie Etchingham - another new show.

So far this week, News 24 Tonight is averaging 80,250 viewers, while The Sky Report is on 32,250.

As for British presenters on American TV, isn't there an ex sky correspondent on Fox - James Cookson, is it?

And we even have a man flying the Irish flag on American TV. I've seen an episode of the O'Reilly Factor, in which Bill O'Reilly classified himself as Irish. (And there's Conan O'Brien though, he's not a News Presenter, that I know of.)

daved2424

Post by daved2424 » Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:58 am

Hullo+Oct 29 2005, 08:45 PM(Hullo @ Oct 29 2005, 08:45 PM)

no more than Eamonn Holmes is Irish centred

He's British.

HBox

Post by HBox » Sun Oct 30, 2005 5:23 pm

daved2424+Oct 30 2005, 01:28 AM(daved2424 @ Oct 30 2005, 01:28 AM)

Hullo+Oct 29 2005, 08:45 PM(Hullo @ Oct 29 2005, 08:45 PM)

no more than Eamonn Holmes is Irish centred

He's British.

More specifically Northern Irish, still part of the UK.

Mr Byrne

Post by Mr Byrne » Sun Oct 30, 2005 6:48 pm

More specifically Northern Irish, still part of the UK.

Eamon Holmes has the right to classify himself as either British or Irish, I'm sure he's enetitled to an Irish passport. But thats neither here nor there and I don't really care, but interestinly, on a special report for Sky News Ireland (which featured an interview with former President Bill Clinton), Sky's US Correspondent Ian Woods classified himself as being Irish, and he's from Belfast if I'm not mistaken.

Getting back to the topic:

Sky could do a programme called "An American View" in which a couple of prominent Americans comment on British and World news from a US perspective and give us a bit of detailed insight into the odd American story (note that CBS News is only shown in anti-social hours). Nothing wrong with that

Basically you're backing up my theory that you don't like World Ness Tonight because its presented by an American?