Appontment To View - A mistake?

Discussions on news and breaking news events including, BBC News, ITV News, Sky News
caseymorris

Post by caseymorris » Sat Nov 19, 2005 10:19 pm

I was sooooo looking forward to the relaunch and it has only just occured to me taht I have stopped watching Sky news.

It wasn't intentional.

I click on the website at work.

I get home, feed the kids and then..... it's half six

Sportsline. Sky report (my god curing homosexuals - scrapping the barrel already) and then World News.

Have I got that right? No proper news from 6.30pm til 9pm?

davedave99

Post by davedave99 » Sat Nov 19, 2005 11:30 pm

actually I think the Sky Report is terrific. They always have the main news stories in it...Anthony Walker this week for example, sometimes done more in depth than normal sky bulletins. but also really really classy pieces of original journalism. Something so rare on Sky News.

That Gay Cure piece was fascinating, gay reporter Robert Nisbet investigating a disturbing trend in America, really high production values and like the other pieces i have seen, like their Church of hate, of a quality i have not seen on Sky before. Long may it continue. They really have raised the bar. Sky should be able to come up with their own stories, not just follow others.

World News is a bit hard to watch, Rubin is rather...slow speaking but glad to see on Friday when a big news story happens they werent too precious to ditch everything... Sky Report and World News.

I understand change can throw people but i think on the whole there are so many improvements. Sure, three headers are a bit odd, too many presenters and as I have said World News is a bit of a chore (Shame, because it has the potential to be a great showcase, I guess they need more resources and perhaps a co presenter for James?)

C'mon guys, let things settle in, it still feels like Sky, just a bit different! It will take some getting used to, it took me a few days. Now i love it!

xxx

Post by xxx » Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:40 am

It just shows how full of S*** (pardon mon francais) those anti-gay establishments are, as you said Robert Nisbet is a homosexual and was interviewing the leader of this "establishment."

It just shows how little that bigot knows, as he was talking right to one.

An excellent report from the Sky Report, MUST WATCH for anybody who loves current affairs and is so superior to its counterparts at the 7pm hour on ANY station.

mickey

Post by mickey » Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:53 am

I've also stopped watching the Sunrise programme. Switching-on, this morning (Monday) it came on automatically and is was dreadful with Eammon H twittering on & on.

To get a real news digest I brought-up the News Active pages and then changed over to BBC News 24.

Please Sky get back to a proper hard news reporting format and cut the cackle

Thanks Mickey

guvnorgaz

Post by guvnorgaz » Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:08 pm

I find Sky news watchable up until 5pm and then the 'stars' of Sky News get their own shows and it all goes down hill,and Jimmy Rubin,is he a robot?Or does he just talk like one?Its a mistake trying to make stars out of particular presenters,it was tried with Kirst Young and failed,its not the presenter that makes the show,its the shows format thats the success and when you take the presenter out of a liked format things go downhill

squareeyes

Post by squareeyes » Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:52 pm

jonn0boy+Nov 20 2005, 11:50 PM(jonn0boy @ Nov 20 2005, 11:50 PM)

is so superior to its counterparts at the 7pm hour on ANY station.

Erm...I don't think so! Channel 4 News is consistently the highest quality news programme on British Television.

I must say, I am finding Sky News increasingly difficult to watch, the relaunch seems to be a backward step, they are trying to be too "middle brow" but there are other outlets who do that much better....I am turning to News24 more than ever and it's looking stronger and stronger.

So...Sky....get back to your roots...rolling news...that's what you're best at!!!

guvnorgaz

Post by guvnorgaz » Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:07 pm

One minute they need 3 presenters to bring you the news and then they go to one,I switch off at 5 and come back at 10 when normality resumes.

sirius

Post by sirius » Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:52 pm

I've been a fan of Sky News almost from day one but I consider this latest revamp to be nothing short of a disaster. Having three presenters just looks silly and I'm certain that they will abandon it in the very near future. Sunrise is now unwatchable because Eamon Holmes is keen to dumb everything down. Don't misunderstand me, he's an excellent presenter but just unsuitable for a rolling news channel. I'm also totally fed up with all the football related stories which seem to escape from the already over generous allocated sports slots. Last week they even curtailed PMQ's for a live update on George Best's condition. I will watch it on BBC2 in future. I have also returned to watching BBC's Breakfast which in my opinion is a better programme. Perhaps Sky will eventually see sense and give us back our News. :rolleyes:

Musey

Post by Musey » Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:15 pm

've been a fan of Sky News almost from day one but I consider this latest revamp to be nothing short of a disaster. Having three presenters just looks silly and I'm certain that they will abandon it in the very near future. Sunrise is now unwatchable because Eamon Holmes is keen to dumb everything down. Don't misunderstand me, he's an excellent presenter but just unsuitable for a rolling news channel. I'm also totally fed up with all the football related stories which seem to escape from the already over generous allocated sports slots. Last week they even curtailed PMQ's for a live update on George Best's condition. I will watch it on BBC2 in future. I have also returned to watching BBC's Breakfast which in my opinion is a better programme. Perhaps Sky will eventually see sense and give us back our News.

u make many good points, however i disagree with it being such a terrible decision to abandon pmq's for bestie's condition, surely the right thing to do?