Strap on ALL day

Discussions on news and breaking news events including, BBC News, ITV News, Sky News
AJ

Post by AJ » Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:32 pm

I could understand why they are doing it if Active were an advertising supported service (i.e. carried adverts a bit like Sky Active) but it doesn't.

Yes, it keeps viewers on the channel for that bit longer, but I don't think that active viewing figures are counted by BARB - so that case falls on its nose too.

It's just needless and annoying, and obviously has something to do with an executive producer who works at the weekend.

If it's really important to them, just flash it up at the top of the hour whilst the names are being said, and plug the active service in the ticker and with the 15min headlines.

Skyinternational

Post by Skyinternational » Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:45 pm

Criss Angel wrote:I?ve sent a couple of emails complaining about this to mailto:news@sky.com">news@sky.com perhaps some of the forum members here would like to do the same before Sky News ends up looking like Bloomberg (502).

I've also sent them an email, hope they realize how unpleasant this strap is.

sky.dub

Post by sky.dub » Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:08 pm

It seems to be a weekend thing. I don't understand it though, they put the strap up about the top stories while the top stories are being read out.

To me it also has a lazy aspect to it, because having this strap up means they don't have to do the usual straps about whatever story that's on.

How Sky News expects people to watch more than 5 or 10 minutes lately is beyond me.

Musey

Post by Musey » Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:41 pm

i agree it looks terrible and is a huge turn off. the active service is already plugged enough, and in far better ways.

plus sky news is one of those aesthetically pleasing channels - it just looks nice to have one and leave on. this crappy banner ruins it.

and i bet they've lost more viewers than they've gained active users.

Abby

Post by Abby » Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:25 am

Pity us poor international viewers. We have the 'active'strap on, taking up 1/4 of our TV screena but don't have the active service. We also lost the 'clock'and the rolling ticker-tape thingy last year because we are international viewers and not UK based. Where is the logic in that?