No peace in the Middle East

Discussions on news and breaking news events including, BBC News, ITV News, Sky News
mainhill

Post by mainhill » Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:57 am

and Jonathan Samuels in Tel-Aviv

Buletin Utama

Post by Buletin Utama » Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:04 am

I watched the World news at 7 this morning and Jonathan Charles was broadcasting live from Beirut. Also Lyse Doucet was in Haifa and Clive Myrie was reporting for them. BBC World has been covering the region very well. I watch the news a lot more then I used to. It comes on really early in the morning were I live. I saw Richard Miron reporting also. He did a really good job. I wasn't sure if he was still reporting for them, but he still is.

mainhill

Post by mainhill » Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:04 am

And how much better is Beirut coverage from Ian Woods than from Tim Marshall. Tim is one of very few Sky News people who I can't stand at all, in Beirut he tried to be David Chater all over, but he just is not. Woodsy is always himself, and great as usual. Just personal opinion.

Musey

Post by Musey » Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:07 am

tim marshall IMO is arguably the best bloke Sky have, i could listen to him talk all day. top class. he explains things very well, and is very knowledgeable.

having said that i'd say the same pretty much applies to woods as well - again one of Sky's best assets.

ioandyer

Post by ioandyer » Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:19 pm

Can anyone tell me or explain why there are so many changes in the reporters / correspondents covering the war, re sky`s coverage, it seems there are new personel covering the confilct every week, is this normal for such events??? cheers!

sky.dub

Post by sky.dub » Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:42 pm

ioandyer wrote:Can anyone tell me or explain why there are so many changes in the reporters / correspondents covering the war, re sky`s coverage, it seems there are new personel covering the confilct every week, is this normal for such events??? cheers!

During the Iraq War, the same reporters remained in Iraq, Kuwait, Qatar etc for the duration of the war....but you are right in saying that the reporters are changing constantly in this war. My guess is that it is a mixture of people going on holidays and also news channels almost exhaust reporters during wars, so maybe they've reconsidered keeping reporters them there for the whole time. Oh I think Emma Hurd has worked every day since the conflict began.

xxx

Post by xxx » Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:37 pm

Geoff Meade is in Beirut for Sky also.

I can't make my mind up on Tim Marshall, he tends to say I don't know an awful lot, I'll listen out for the next time he says it, it is usually when he is in the Sky Studio. But he is OK I guess, not a patch on Simpson of the Beeb.

calciofan

Post by calciofan » Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:49 am

George Galloway spoke out in support of Lebanon in an interview about the Middle East crisis on Sky News, saying he believes Hizbollah is justified in attacking Israel. The Respect MP also lambasted media coverage of the war, in particular that of Sky News. He was interviewed by Anna Botting on Sunday.

|colorc http://news.sky.com/skynews/video/videoplayer/0,,31200-galloway_060806,00.htmlWatch the Interview here >>>

kev667

Post by kev667 » Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:14 pm

simon mccoy is presenting news24 live from beirut today, also simulcasting on bbc world.

thanks for the vid, calcio.

Johnnie
Site Admin

Post by Johnnie » Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:24 am

I heard a report from Andrew Wilson on LBC. I take it he's now in the region.