Sky Sunrise

Discussions on news and breaking news events including, BBC News, ITV News, Sky News
DaveGCI

Post by DaveGCI » Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:47 pm

I've never understood why Sky News, which aims to be a serious news channel - although it's wall-to-wall coverage of the Big Brother non-story made me realise it's The Sun of the airwaves - employed this pompous buffoon. Get rid soon, Sky, before your early morning audience disappears completely

guvnorgaz

Post by guvnorgaz » Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:21 am

Interesting to hear today that Murdoch is trying to buy the production company of Big Brother

txwharfrat

Post by txwharfrat » Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:47 am

why is it interesting?

DaveGCI

Post by DaveGCI » Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:32 pm

SSLuke wrote:why is it interesting?

Agreed. Who cares?

guvnorgaz

Post by guvnorgaz » Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:41 pm

Because they have been banging on about what a disgrace Ch4 is for keeping it on air and yet the owner of Sky is trying to buy the company responsible for it

DaveGCI

Post by DaveGCI » Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:31 am

guvnorgaz wrote:Because they have been banging on about what a disgrace Ch4 is for keeping it on air and yet the owner of Sky is trying to buy the company responsible for it

Maybe that shows that Sky News has some editorial independence.

Still don't understand why you think this is interesting.

On a who cares scale of 0 to 10 this rates about 100.

It would be a business deal, no more.

guvnorgaz

Post by guvnorgaz » Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:58 pm

Its interesting as it shows how Sky News often gets a bee in its bonnet over certain stories, another one the other day was Kay Burley banging on about people taking stuff off the beach from that beached ship, she was practically encouraging people to go and help themselves, hardly responsible actions for a News channel, or Chris Roberts with his beef about airports banning liquids on flights and going on about people not being allowed baby milk as being ridiculous, I wonder what his stance would have been if someone had smuggled a liquid explosive on a flight disguised as baby milk and blown up a flight. Sky News is run by idiots

DaveGCI

Post by DaveGCI » Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:07 pm

guvnorgaz wrote:Its interesting as it shows how Sky News often gets a bee in its bonnet over certain stories, another one the other day was Kay Burley banging on about people taking stuff off the beach from that beached ship, she was practically encouraging people to go and help themselves, hardly responsible actions for a News channel, or Chris Roberts with his beef about airports banning liquids on flights and going on about people not being allowed baby milk as being ridiculous, I wonder what his stance would have been if someone had smuggled a liquid explosive on a flight disguised as baby milk and blown up a flight. Sky News is run by idiots

I'd certainly agree with your last comment. Sky News presenters think they are the stars, not the news they are presenting. That's why the likes of Kay Burley and Eamonn Holmes work ther. They wouldn't stand a chance on aserious news channel

txwharfrat

Post by txwharfrat » Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:00 pm

apart from Holmes - and to an extent Burley - i don't agree with that at all. I don't know of any other presenters that you could call a 'star' on the channel, they're all prepared to do long shifts, go out on long and repetitive OBs, and come in on days off for breaking news, hardly the behaviour of arrogant stars.

having said all that, i think that BBC News 24 are developing a stronger presenter line-up. Emily Maitlis, Jon Sopel and Simon McCoy are better than the likes of Colin Brazier (no matter how long he's on for), Holmes etc.