Sky News Graphics Revamp

Discussions on news and breaking news events including, BBC News, ITV News, Sky News
jonnyboy

Post by jonnyboy » Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:07 am

Is that everything changed then, nothing more is happening tommorow?

jonnyboy

Post by jonnyboy » Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:09 am

By the way I gotta get used to these graphics again, I'm not sure though. This was the first time I went 'Woah' at the graphics change on Sky News.

calciofan

Post by calciofan » Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:37 am

The last set of graphics were fine except the 'Breaking News' strap being over used. Didn't expect this new set!

The logo looks out of place (and some of the presenter name straps do too) and it looks like a mess when sports results/tables are shown!

Bring back the sliding logo!

The Live strap looks too much like the BBC's old ones.

del

Post by del » Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:35 pm

I've never heard of these places on that awful weather ticker, where are "Aberdee", Birmingha" and "Manchest" when they're at home?

Apart from that, it does stand out.

DDP

Post by DDP » Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:04 pm

Jeezuz it's f'king awful

If Sky want to be innovative they should just get rid of all the crap on there. Why do Sky think nobody knew anything before they filled a third (a third!!) of the screen with crap. I remember the days of three news broadcasts a day on three TV channels and the nation was never in the dark for news coverage.

So the bottom third is now an ident idea stolen from FOX News, a time and a date, a 'breaking news' strap that is now ten times worse than the old one and a weather statistic that is useless if you don't live in that city.

Ident - Still too obtrusive. BBC at least put it on the ticker.

Clock/Date - The date is pretty pointless. It has even less relevence when date appears onscreen at the top of the hour.

Ticker - Now appears to be even bigger than before for some reason.

Breaking News strap/ticker - Is still full of crap and is now badly overused colored crap as well.

Why not take it down to the irrelevent BS levels of SSN or even Bloomberg

paul 316

Post by paul 316 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:43 pm

has anyone noticed that the clock is about 30 seconds slow?

it has been slow for a few months now, but since the new graphics yesterday it is even slower now.

guvnorgaz

Post by guvnorgaz » Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:05 pm

Aljazeera have the right idea, small ticker at the bottom of the screen, no great big breaking news banner, no fancy sound effects. The Sky News logo and clock should be up in the top corner and be smaller, I know what channel I am watching and the breaking news banner should be dropped, why do you need a graphic to tell you what the presenter is also telling you?

vicky23

Post by vicky23 » Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:55 am

the presenter name straps are awful

PAULA STEVE

M I D D L E H U R S T DIXON

Thats my own version of last night.

Look very out of place.

What really irritates me is that on the left of the LOGO/DATE/TIME thingy there is a small space that is not used.

Overall the screen looks cramped.

noodle

Post by noodle » Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:13 am

I think it looks awful with all the black, the yellow and black breaking news ticker looks like CNN's.

Can we have the blue back please Sky!

kaylover

Post by kaylover » Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:17 am

I do quite like the new look but there are a few things there are buging me. They are:

1 - The new "Sky News" logo just seems to be dumped on the mid-left of the screen. I don't really see what the point in that was and I think it would have looked much better if it was moved all the way over to the far left of the screen

2 - I think you should drop the clock down to the ticker and rotate the date and time in sequence with the rotation of the logo.

3 - What is the point in the logo rotating? Yes, it looks good but maybe when it rotates, put some other stuff up on it like the website adress or a reminder to "press red" for active.

4 - The newswall has the old Breaking News graphics of red and white yet the ticker has yellow and black- it looks a little odd and hope this is changed.

5 - The yellow on the breaking news ticker is too bright and bold. Yes, you want people to look at it BUT not so it is a constant distraction to what is on the screen. I would suggest making the background black (as it is all the time) and just making the text yellow.

Anyway I'm sure the next few weeks will see a lot of small changes taking place just to make everything work.

I give the new look 7/10 so far BUT they are still a million miles away from anyhting the america networks are doing. For Example i think a show on Fox News call Americas Newsroom , between 2 and 4 UK has the best graphics of any news show. The new graphics still seem very flat and 2D and not enough movment going on. Are Sky and Fox using a different program to make the grphics? or do the people at Sky just not know how to use it?