Missing Madeleine McCann - News Coverage

Discussions on news and breaking news events including, BBC News, ITV News, Sky News
imagedude

Post by imagedude » Sun May 13, 2007 7:10 pm

A lot of people take the mick out of the 'sky celebs', but I really like it. I think the fact that they can go out and stay out in portuagal or in some disater zone/war striken area is a very humbling thought. No longer is the traditional news presenter perceived as someone who sits behind a desk and moves his/her lips a bit - and that is thanks to sky.

vicky23

Post by vicky23 » Sun May 13, 2007 11:20 pm

thegraphic wrote:A lot of people take the mick out of the 'sky celebs', but I really like it. I think the fact that they can go out and stay out in portuagal or in some disater zone/war striken area is a very humbling thought. No longer is the traditional news presenter perceived as someone who sits behind a desk and moves his/her lips a bit - and that is thanks to sky.

Well said!

txwharfrat

Post by txwharfrat » Mon May 14, 2007 8:21 am

they are doing it for ratings and with one eye on next year's RTS awards ceremony. Blanket coverage like this is not healthy; no wonder Anna broke down last week. I just can't imagine anybody at all sitting down and watching it.

guvnorgaz

Post by guvnorgaz » Mon May 14, 2007 10:08 am

There is no need for them to be there, they have all those correspondents out there and they can question them from the studio just the same, its not needed. They gave all these celebs their own shows when they got the new studio, all flopped, that says it all. Lunchtime Live got people talking the other day, because it wasnt on and everyone preferred it

HOWIE

Post by HOWIE » Mon May 14, 2007 10:12 am

Why is everyone in Portugal for, I think it is daft but it is good to see Jayne Secker back on Sky News, & for in the studio Lorna was on from lunck time, Paula doing Live at 5, where is Emma Crosby this week, with Chris & Steve

Johnnie
Site Admin

Post by Johnnie » Mon May 14, 2007 4:28 pm

Kay Burley's back in London.

kaylover

Post by kaylover » Tue May 15, 2007 6:49 pm

Ive not seen JT since the raid on the Brits house took place, so im gussing he is also on his way to London.

Ironic that the Clebs are there all weekend reporting on nothing, then when they step on the plane the biggist news of the case so far breaks.

EDIT: JT NOW ON SKY!!!

lakewood

Post by lakewood » Fri May 18, 2007 6:06 am

As usual Sky News manages to turn a story into infotainment. With one eye on the ratings, the awards and praying that this might be a repeat of Soham

"This case has been picked up by most of the media and made into more than it deserves. The Portugese police aren't doing things the way certain parts of the press wish (not telling them everything that happens as it happens) so they are attacked. The man declared as a Formal Suspect is being set up as a villain in the popular press, even though the police do not have enough evidence to charge him for anything. It's time that British media took a step back..."

"All this attention will not help to bring the poor child back and at the end their parents will be disappointed while the owners of the TV channels and papers will rub their hands and count their money"

This is not another Diana story but it seems that Sky News is trying to create one.

This has become a disagreeable media-fest at which tabloids, broadsheets and broadcast news are feeding and has the smack of Diana about it

"This business of sharing everyone elses grief has gone too far. It started with the gruesome response to the death of The Princess of Wales |& has deteriorated from there. We may all have immense sympathy for the McCanns in their grief butwe cannot share it as we do not know them or their daughter."

"We all feel devastated and abhor this terrible happening, but remote sentimentality diminishes us all. "

But Sky News propogates and feeds on this sentimentality - It blurs the facts and it is not honest journalism - but since when did Sky News ever let facts get in the way of a good story.

kaylover

Post by kaylover » Fri May 18, 2007 9:33 am

lakewood wrote:As usual Sky News manages to turn a story into infotainment. With one eye on the ratings, the awards and praying that this might be a repeat of Soham

"This case has been picked up by most of the media and made into more than it deserves. The Portugese police aren't doing things the way certain parts of the press wish (not telling them everything that happens as it happens) so they are attacked. The man declared as a Formal Suspect is being set up as a villain in the popular press, even though the police do not have enough evidence to charge him for anything. It's time that British media took a step back..."

"All this attention will not help to bring the poor child back and at the end their parents will be disappointed while the owners of the TV channels and papers will rub their hands and count their money"

This is not another Diana story but it seems that Sky News is trying to create one.

This has become a disagreeable media-fest at which tabloids, broadsheets and broadcast news are feeding and has the smack of Diana about it

"This business of sharing everyone elses grief has gone too far. It started with the gruesome response to the death of The Princess of Wales |& has deteriorated from there. We may all have immense sympathy for the McCanns in their grief butwe cannot share it as we do not know them or their daughter."

"We all feel devastated and abhor this terrible happening, but remote sentimentality diminishes us all. "

But Sky News propogates and feeds on this sentimentality - It blurs the facts and it is not honest journalism - but since when did Sky News ever let facts get in the way of a good story.

Your ideas of how a news channel sould be sound very draconian. All news is good news for a news channel. News can be exciting and Sky play it that way. However on a personal level im sure all the staff at Sky News are hoping for a happy outcome.

vicky23

Post by vicky23 » Fri May 18, 2007 9:48 am

The staff will definitely be hoping for a happy outcome. I love sky news, I like that it has a dramatic feel. Keeps me entertained